Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 10:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / For those dealing with failed cantilevers

For those dealing with failed cantilevers
2018-01-15, 21:27 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-15 21:31 by dan steel.)
RE: For those dealing with failed cantilevers
(2018-01-15 21:21)LD100 Wrote:  
(2018-01-15 20:59)dan steel Wrote:  As gutting as it is for the two members of this forum that have had so called wet failures.
The comments posted around the web are always concentrating on these two.
What about all the others that have failed without wet cleaning.? Big Grin

Because the dry failures are just too gruesome to be spoken about! Rolleyes

Soon, in hi fi lore, they will be known as " that which must not be discussed."

Tongue
Exactly what I thought...Rolleyes

[Image: Krystle.jpg]

You can wet on me anytime... Rolleyes

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

You know what I think of you Krystal... Big Grin

Who is the gaucho amigo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-15, 21:45
(2018-01-15 21:21)LD100 Wrote:  Because the dry failures are just too gruesome to be spoken about! Rolleyes

Soon, in hi fi lore, they will be known as " that which must not be discussed."

Tongue

What failures?

I’m going to get started on the swap .... FrankenKrystal in place of Ortofon.

It’s too cold to wag the LP12 out to my shop.

I’m going to have to bring the jig and tools to system 2, pull the bottom plate, remove the arm, do the deed, and button ‘er back up.

It’s not as bad as it sounds.

I feel like Peter Swain visiting a client to install new toys in situ.

LP12, Woodsong Woburn Abbey Oak Plinth, Tramp2, Cirkus, Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE/1, Lyra Delos, Uphorik, Krell KSP-7B, biamped Krell KSA-150s, ML Theos, ML 210 sub.
LP12, Greeves plinth, Cirkus, Kore, Mober Maxxon, Ittok LVII mk2, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, CJ PV8 SE phono, CJ ET3 SE, CJ MF2550 SE, Thiel CS2.
Yesterday, 01:43
I’m letting it run in now.

I set the phono load at 47 Ohms.

When the Krystal was new, it changed for the better over the first 50 hours or so.

I’m going to give this a chance to break in before I decide what I think.

And I need to line up the records I use for evaluation. Right now I’m listening Wilbert Longmire, Champagne, on deck 1 having just listened to it deck 2.

I think deck 1 is better, but until the FrankenKrystal is broken in, it’s inappropriate to judge.

LP12, Woodsong Woburn Abbey Oak Plinth, Tramp2, Cirkus, Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE/1, Lyra Delos, Uphorik, Krell KSP-7B, biamped Krell KSA-150s, ML Theos, ML 210 sub.
LP12, Greeves plinth, Cirkus, Kore, Mober Maxxon, Ittok LVII mk2, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, CJ PV8 SE phono, CJ ET3 SE, CJ MF2550 SE, Thiel CS2.
Yesterday, 02:17 (This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:29 by Peer Gynt.)
It’s not broken in yet, but it is sounding nice.

As I go back and forth in tune dem mode, I think I am clearly hearing the value of the Keel, Ekos SE, Radikal, and Uphorik, over the Kore, Ittok LVII mk2, Mober Maxxon, and Krell phono section.

Deck 1 is better. No surprises there. I predict that this will remain so.

On Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man, the FrankenKrystal held its own, beating my memory of the Krystal during the weeks leading up to its demise. Not up to deck 1 on bass extension or detail, but actually quite good.

On Dire Straights So Far Away, it’s holding its own again. Very nice presentation of the layering, good bass extension. Great reverb on Sting’s vocals on Money for nothing. Serious definition of the percussion sequence at the start. This is really very nice. It sounds like it is breaking in with every bar.

Yesterday, 02:26 (This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:34 by Peer Gynt.)
The switch back to deck 1 on Brothers in Arms is not showing off deck 1 as clearly. Both are really good. Deck 1 is better, but deck 2 is better sounding than ever before.

And I think the FrankenKrystal beats my pre-failure Krystal, but as usual, YMMV.
Hurray for Soundsmith!!!

Useless piece of expensive broken junk in drawer has now found new purpose in life for a mere $299. About £225.

Man, the Lyra is smokin’ too!!

Happy ending to premature Krystal failure all around.

Yesterday, 02:49 (This post was last modified: Yesterday 02:59 by Peer Gynt.)
On to Madonna’s True Blue. Still improving. Lots of layers in this one too. Heavily “produced.”

Deck 2 with FrankenKrystal is holding its own again. Deck 1 is a bit smoother. More polished. Better control of rise and fall of transients. Deck 2 is not mushy, but deck 1 is tighter. Ekos SE/1 and Keel at work beating Kore and old Ittok.

Madonna’s vocals are sweeter on deck 1, but is this more realistic? I dunno.
Deck 2 with FrankenKrystal is meeting my expectations for believability.

No more tonight. I’ve got to put my tools away and play the guitar.

Yesterday, 12:37 (This post was last modified: Yesterday 15:47 by Glyn Ruck.)
Get more hours on the FrankenKrystal. It will be interesting. Way too early to evaluate.
Yesterday, 15:23
(Yesterday 12:37)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Get more hours in the FrankenKrystal. It will be interesting. Way too early to evaluate.

I agree. It is on a good track though. It will get another several hours today.
Optically, it looked quite well done. The first side I played, made me uncertain about it. But by the third side, and in direct comparison to the better deck with Lyra, it was hanging in nicely.

I’m not in a position to judge how it might compare to a new Krystal. Compared to one that is heading toward stress corrosion cracking or other fatigue related fracture, it beats it hands down already.

Frankly, for £225 it’s far better than it has any right to be.

You know, if Soundsmith can make it sound this good for £225, I’m a bit concerned about why Goldring could not have done the same. Someone said that Goldring had recently repaired an Akiva. Maybe they only repair cartridges that Linn no longer rebadges as their own.

An even more compelling question is why Linn might not facilitate repairs through Goldring. As a customer, 50 year audiophile, former turntable dealer, 30 year Linn supporter, and generally responsible guy, condescension isn’t one of the most successful strategies to evoke a warm and fuzzy feeling about a marque.

In my own case, I never used liquid or abrasive cleaning, and there was no event to point to that would have caused a plastic one time fracture. It just collapsed while playing. I wish I’d had a camera on it because it was quite comical, like a bad practical joke.

In the USA these are $2000 cartridges and not available at discount.

I’m a firm believer in the idea that “All’s well that ends well.”

I have a handful of lessons as take aways.

- Lyra makes exceptional cartridges, and I would not have discovered this were it not for the Krystal saga.

- Soundsmith services are an exceptional value. They are responsive, competent, and have the best interest of the customer at heart.

- Evaluate by what people do, not by what people say. Lyra and Soundsmith are very worthy and deserve custom.

If I leave the ruby cantilevered Krystal on deck 2, and I am planning to, I’ll need to upgrade my system 2 phono section.

I called conradjohnson to see if they would modify the high gain phono section for the ET3SE so that the lowest resistance would be 50 Ohms. They said they would at no additional charge. I may go this route. But I’m tempted by Soundsmith’s recently upgraded high gain phono preamp too.

No hurries.