Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / For those dealing with failed cantilevers

For those dealing with failed cantilevers
2018-01-19, 05:07
RE: For those dealing with failed cantilevers
System 1 is the more high definition system. It has the better speakers and amps, and all the benefits of the Woodsong, Keel, Radikal, Uphorik, Ekos SE/1. The end result is better attack and decay.

System 1 sounds like they’ve called me up from my table and I’m in the group.

Both are delightfully engaging.

Before I moved deck 2 back to system 2, my sense was that FrankenKrystal was a worthy cartridge. In system 1, in direct comparison to deck 1, deck 2 did not embarrass itself.

The cost difference between the two decks must be on the order of £8,000.

After 15 hours of play, the Soundsmith modified Krystal continues monotonic improvement.

FrankenKrystal demonstrates excellent tracking, neutral coloration, the Lyra like ability to minimize groove noise, and it is not doing anything annoying. Deck 2 has less “punch” than deck 1, but whose to say that this is due to the cartridge when there are so many other differences between the decks?

Naturally I wish my Krystal had not just up and collapsed. But I am quite happy with the end result.

I’ll continue to monitor the FrankenKrystal break in and will report back if there is any drama, or after about 50 hours of play, whichever comes first.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-19, 08:54
(2018-01-15 19:24)The Flatearther Wrote:  Colin, may I bask how much they charged him please?

Hiya!

Is that directed at me?

Hard to tell with all the quotes/subquotes!

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-01-19, 09:59 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-19 10:05 by The Flatearther.)
Hiya!

Is that directed at me?

[/quote]
Hi Colin, yes Budd, it could help out quite a few members to know they have alternative options if on a budget.

(2018-01-19 05:07)Peer Gynt Wrote:  System 1 is the more high definition system. It has the better speakers and amps, and all the benefits of the Woodsong, Keel, Radikal, Uphorik, Ekos SE/1. The end result is better attack and decay.

System 1 sounds like they’ve called me up from my table and I’m in the group.

Both are delightfully engaging.

Before I moved deck 2 back to system 2, my sense was that FrankenKrystal was a worthy cartridge. In system 1, in direct comparison to deck 1, deck 2 did not embarrass itself.

The cost difference between the two decks must be on the order of £8,000.

After 15 hours of play, the Soundsmith modified Krystal continues monotonic improvement.

FrankenKrystal demonstrates excellent tracking, neutral coloration, the Lyra like ability to minimize groove noise, and it is not doing anything annoying. Deck 2 has less “punch” than deck 1, but whose to say that this is due to the cartridge when there are so many other differences between the decks?

Naturally I wish my Krystal had not just up and collapsed. But I am quite happy with the end result.

I’ll continue to monitor the FrankenKrystal break in and will report back if there is any drama, or after about 50 hours of play, whichever comes first.

Hi Peer how does it compare tonally in timbre to the original warm an pretty sound of the Krystal and does it appear more dynamic with the harder cantilever?

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Signature Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - TP Tranquility - Naim Aro - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim amplification - Linn Isobariks.
2018-01-19, 15:25
(2018-01-19 09:59)The Flatearther Wrote:  Hi Peer how does it compare tonally in timbre to the original warm an pretty sound of the Krystal and does it appear more dynamic with the harder cantilever?

Early in the life of my Krystal, it sounded delicate and detailed. Once I’d dialed in the loading (by purchasing the Uphorik and loading it at the recommended 53 Ohms and 1000 nF), all instruments and vocals dropped into a realistic sound. I use an old vinyl recording of my Mother singing Summertime, accompanied by piano as a common reference, along with several AOR, symphonic, and small group recordings. I have not yet tried the recording of my Mother with the repaired Krystal. I’m saving it for when I sense that FrankenKrystal has stopped improving. Maybe I’ll put it on later today.

What happened with my Krystal is that in the weeks before the collapse of the cantilever, vinyl sounded less engaging. It wasn’t worth the effort. I listened to vinyl less and less.

In hind sight, I think that the cantilever failure was progressing to its final catastrophic event. I think that the less dynamic, less detailed performance reflected this.

The cartridge I pressed into service immediately after the failure was a Denon DL301 mk2 that was in a drawer. The Krystal had degraded enough that the Denon did not seem like much of an immediate downgrade. The Denon is not noted for anything except it’s ability to deliver an ok performance on a serious budget.

I wondered what to do with the Krystal and what might be the best long term approach to getting vinyl back to right. No need to rehash that.

So ... here we are.

The Lyra gives the most believable reproduction over the widest range and I am going to try something higher in their line up just to see what more might be achieved.

The FrankenKrystal seems neutral, detailed, and dynamic compared to other cartridges I’ve tried here. My sense of the Soundsmith repair is that I’ve lost nothing over the original Krystal, even compared to when it was new and delighted me.

The only way to do a valid comparison would be for Linn to send me a new Krystal and then after break in, I could swap it with the repaired Krystal on reference recordings and make some notes. This would be more fun, and more valid, with two or three other vinyl aficionados present.

So ... shortly after Hades freezes over, we might get to do this.

FWIW, I won’t be buying another Krystal out of pocket. It was very nice while it lasted, but by the hour, it was not a good value in my case.

2018-01-19, 16:54 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-19 16:58 by Peer Gynt.)
I dug out that vinyl recording of my Mother in her hay day.

When I played this with my Krystal on deck 1 before the cantilever failure, I thought it sounded very good. I could hear my Mother’s voice and attributed shortcomings to the amateur master tape and pressing.

But when I played it on deck 1 with the Lyra Delos, for the first time ever, I wanted to make a digital recording of the recording to share with friends and family. I sent it to several and got back nostalgic gushes of affection and affirmation. I know the responses could have been “manners,” but there was more emotion in many of them than would have been obligatory.

Today I played it on deck 1 with the Lyra and had that same emotional experience of “rightness.”

I played it on deck 2 with the repaired Krystal and it was very nice, and as I remembered it with the early Krystal. But it did not make me want to redigitize it.

Based on this experiment, I think that for my purposes, the repaired Krystal is very similar to the original undamaged Krystal.

There are a few truths from nonlinear programming and optimal design that seem relevant to me.

1. The best is the enemy of the good. Once you’ve achieved believable reproduction, you’ll usually be quite happy until someone introduces you to something better. I was happy with the Krystal until it started to fail. If it had never failed, I would still have switched to Lyra once introduced to it.

2. Enough is as good as a feast. Addicted OCD audiophiles never get this. There is a certain gluttony that goes with perpetual experimentation. To some extent, I am a victim of this affliction myself. I hope that I can remember this concept of satisficing rather than maximizing as the urge to upgrade continues. Do I really want Kleos, Etna, and Atlas? I hope I can resist.

Meanwhile, FrankenKrystal has dislodged the Ortofon from deck 2. I need a better phono section for that system ... must have better phono section. ... better phono section .... must have ... oh no! The circle is unbroken.

2018-01-19, 16:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-24 08:44 by Hamstall.)
(2018-01-19 09:59)The Flatearther Wrote:  Hiya!

Is that directed at me?

Hi Colin, yes Budd, it could help out quite a few members to know they have alternative options if on a budget.

About £350 I think. I'll double check. It was for an Akiva that had gone open circuit on one channel, not a stylus though.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-01-19, 17:49 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-19 17:52 by Peer Gynt.)
I’m playing deck 2 in system 2 now. The disk is The Jack Wilkins Quartet with Jack Wilkins on archtop guitar, Randy Brecker on fluegelhorn, Eddie Gomez on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums and piano.

This is another recording that evokes the feeling of being at a small club in The Village, but without the distractions of the crowd, in the late 70’s.

Jack W may be the best true Jazz guitar player of all time.

The presentation in system 2 is wonderful. But if I take it to system 1, experience tells me that it will be even better.

The music and emotion put into playing is the same in either system.

If you just love music instead of sound, it’s impossible to justify ever increasing expenditures on gear.