Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Lejonklou tuning

Lejonklou tuning
2018-01-11, 20:19
Lejonklou tuning
Hi - first time post as am thinking of buying a used Linn system. I currently have a Naim system and have bass boom issues due to a difficult listening room (speakers either side of a chimney breast firing across the 4 metre width of the room - cant move them anywhere else). I'm now into double figures in the speakers I have tried and think that Space Optimization could be the answer - I cannot face another home demo of more speakers!
Selling my current system should put me in the range of an Akurate DS and Akurate 2200 used. I've seen a ADS advertised as having Lejonklou tuning - could someone explain to me what this is?

Also - is Space Optimization as good as they say it is?!

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-11, 21:26 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 21:29 by moomintroll.)
RE: Lejonklou tuning
Welcome to the forum and, yes, SO can make a big improvement.

No idea what "Lejonklou tuning" refers to. You might get a better idea if you have a look on Fred Lejonklou's own forum http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/

He's a respected designer and has produced some very capable kit. He's also a big fan of Linn and the Tune Dem approach, but he's never done anything for Linn.

'troll

(just had a thought - tweaking the torque values of fasteners and twisting internal cables, amongst other things, is very popular among contributors to that forum - this might be what is meant by the "tuning")
2018-01-11, 21:37 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 21:38 by DavidHB.)
(2018-01-11 21:26)moomintroll Wrote:  Fred Lejonklou also [is] a big fan of Linn and the Tune Dem approach, but he's never done anything for Linn.

From reading his posts and talking to people who have met him, I think that it would be fairer to describe Fred L. as a fan of some Linn kit. Apparently, for example, he doesn't like Exakt (he seems to be one of the 'tried it once, didn't like it' fraternity where Exakt is concerned). That said, while AFAIK he has never worked directly for or with Linn, his Gaio phono stage, for example, was explicitly designed using the Adikt cartridge in an LP12.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-01-11, 22:25 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 22:26 by sunbeamgls.)
The tuning bit is likely to be as mentioned by moomintroll above. You can probably find reference to it on the lejonklou forum.

If you like your Naim amp there's no need to change it. Just changing the source to a Linn DS will bring you SPACE optimisation. Here are some options that are all viable combinations:

DS plus Naim integrated
DS plus Naim pre plus Naim power
DS plus Naim pre plus Linn power
DS plus Linn pre plus Naim power
DS plus Linn pre plus Linn power
DSM plus Naim power
DSM plus Linn power

You mention DS plus Linn power but some would say a DSM or a DS plus a pre amp will give a better result.

You don't mention your make and model of speakers. SO allows for most speakers but its easier to perfect with speakers in the list that Linn has measured

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2018-01-11, 22:45 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 22:48 by Wat.)
Space Optimisation can do wonders. I moved from Naim to Linn as I wanted a fuss free system (humming transformers & unwanted radio reception provoked the change). However, I don’t use Space Optmisation in my main system instead i use the parametric equaliser in J River MC for room correction. I use SO with my MSDM Magnepan setup though & it’s remarkable. You could configure J River with your current system to hear if it cured your problems or switch to Linn DS system.

Room correction is superb In my view & makes far more worthwhile difference than boutique cables. However, sound quality is subjective so you can only really judge when you hear SO for yourself. If you are able to set up J River trial with your existing system then you can get a feel for what SO could do by using J River DSP Studio.

I have never heard of Lejenklou tuning. I know Lejenklou makes amplifiers, but never seen or heard one.

JR-MC24->Blu2-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2018-01-11, 23:01
(2018-01-11 20:19)Mungochatney Wrote:  I'm now into double figures in the speakers I have tried and think that Space Optimization could be the answer - I cannot face another home demo of more speakers!

Have you tried any sealed box speakers or all ported designs?

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
2018-01-12, 07:52 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-12 07:54 by Tin.)
The effect of SO depends on your room.
My room has a very, very annoying room mode at around 50Hz and with SO that is gone completely. I have another room mode around 12-14Hz Hz and that actually assists my subs.
The other room modes have been treated as well, and while that improved the sound significantely, I could have lived with them.
The mode around 50Hz though is $@#%@&!!!!

If you have a terrible room mode as well, than SO is really as good as it is said to be.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-01-12, 19:46
Thank you all for replies. I have tried sealed box speakers - ATC - which didn't boom but didn't like the sound.
Due to a budget of around 4.5k I am looking for an Akurate DS straight into a power amp - this appears to be a viable option - are there some that would consider this a bad idea? - and that going through a pre or using a DSM is important? I want the best value for the money available (stating the obvious I know!).

I'm looking at DS/1 at the moment as DS/2 used seems to be an extra 1000 that I cannot afford. Are there any other options for this amount of money - such as used DS/2 and a cheaper/ older power amp??
Thanks again.
2018-01-12, 22:25
I wouldn't worry too much about adding a pre amp as in my experience they only get in the way and add some distortion, but many on here of course will disagree and there is no absolute right or wrong, just personal preference, and also will depend on your speakers, as some can find the direct route a bit harsh but it works well in my system possibly due to warmish sounding speakers.
You can start with the direct route and tune it a bit with SO and if you really decide you need a pre you can add one later, you may even be able to find a Lejonklou Kikkin analogue volume control which is a kind of minimalist pre amp, I tried one of these but sold it on again as I preferred the extra detail etc from bypassing the pre stage completely.

Main: Klimax Renew DS, 2250/D, My Audio Design 1920 speakers
2nd: Classik Music, AVI Pro-nine speakers