Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 01:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power

Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power
2018-01-13, 07:47
RE: Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power
Basil's website is up and appears to be current..

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-13, 09:09
(2018-01-13 07:47)timster Wrote:  Basil's website is up and appears to be current..

See post #14
Find all posts by this user
2018-01-13, 09:41
(2018-01-13 09:09)moomintroll Wrote:  
(2018-01-13 07:47)timster Wrote:  Basil's website is up and appears to be current..

See post #14

oops, sorry 'troll, missed that! They were obviously very busy yesterday.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-13, 15:26 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-13 22:42 by Peer Gynt.)
Basil may be very good. I do not know him and can’t comment on his business.
If he’s nearby, and competent, it would be nice to support him.

I have called many US dealers who’ve referred me to their LP12 expert, only to discover that the LP 12 expert was an unreliable, or seemingly incompletely trained part timer with an interest in turntables.

Since the demise of the US Distributor In Indianapolis, Linn support has been sketchy.

There is supposedly a new representative for Linn based in The Newport Beach area of California.

They have a person assigned to my region of the US, but that person is also based in Southern Coastal California, over 3000 km away.

Getting info from Linn about them ... and getting info from them about the employee for my region .... and getting information about him regarding nearby dealers or the LP12 ... was, suffice it to say, a multi-week duration, less than confidence inspiring experience.

FWIW, the Valhalla board is easily shipped and should return in good order. The hardest part is the removal because of the age of the plastic mounting standoffs.

The motor tilting process to obtain the right speed after you button it back up is probably the trickiest part of the reassembly. If you don’t want to buy a speed checker and 300 Hz strobe, you can watch a disc spin. In 3 minutes time, count the revolutions. There should be 100 of them. Fewer is too slow. More is too fast.

Be careful to loosen one tilt screw before tightening the other.

While you’re waiting for the board to come back, you should read the sticky thread on set up that Peter Swain of Cymbiosis started in the LP12 forum here. It will give you many tips that will be useful. If your deck is stock from 1984, most would recommend that you at least attempt to confirm that you have the prescribed “pistonic” bounce. Pistonic is just a word that means that the platter moves up and down without a rocking mode. Up and down won’t have much effect on the left and right channel symmetry (skating). A rocking motion loads and unloads the stylus forces on the groove walls asymmetrically.

It seems a shame not to at least do an oil change while your working on the re-install. I think a vial of oil costs about $8, and could ride along in a sealed baggie without harm to the returning Valhalla.

In any event, good luck with your project.

LP12, Woodsong Woburn Abbey Oak Plinth, Tramp2, Cirkus, Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE/1, Lyra Delos, Uphorik, Krell KSP-7B, biamped Krell KSA-150s, ML Theos, ML 210 sub.
LP12, Greeves plinth, Cirkus, Kore, Mober Maxxon, Ittok LVII mk2, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, CJ PV8 SE phono, CJ ET3 SE, CJ MF2550 SE, Thiel CS2.
2018-01-13, 20:23 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-13 20:25 by dave1812.)
(2018-01-13 15:26)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Basil may be very good. I do not know him and can’t comment on his business.
If he’s nearby, and competent, it would be nice to support him.

I have called many US dealers who’ve referred me to their LP12 expert, only to discover that the LP 12 expert was an unreliable, or seemingly incompletely trained part timer with an interest in turntables.

Since the demise of the US Distributor In Indianapolis, Linn support has been sketchy.

There is supposedly a new representative for Linn based in The Newport Beach area of California.

They have a person assigned to my region of the US, but that person is also based in Southern Coastal California, over 3000 km away.

Getting info from Linn about them ... and getting info from them about the employee for my region .... and getting information about him regarding nearby dealers or the LP12 ... was, suffice it to say, a multi-week duration, less than confidence inspiring experience.

FWIW, the Valhalla board is easily shipped and should return in good order. The hardest part is the removal because of the age of the plastic mounting standoffs.

The motor tilting process to obtain the right speed after you button it back up is probably the trickiest part of the reassembly. If you don’t want to buy a speed checker and 300 Hz strobe, you can watch a disc spin. In 3 minutes time, count the revolutions. There should be 100 of them. Fewer is too slow. More is too fast.

Be careful to loosen one tilt screw before tightening the other.

While you’re waiting for the board to come back, you should read the sticky thread on set up that Peter Swain of Cymbiosis started in the LP12 forum here. It will give you many tips that will be useful. If your deck is stock from 1984, most would recommend that you at least attempt to confirm that you have the prescribed “piston if” bounce. Pistonic is just a word that means that the platter moves up and down without a rocking mode. Up and down won’t have much effect on the left and right channel symmetry (skating). A rocking motion loads and unloads the stylus forces on the groove walls asymmetrically.

It seems a shame not to at least do an oil change while your working on the re-install. I think a vial of oil costs about $8, and could ride along in a sealed baggie without harm to the returning Valhalla.

In any event, good luck with your project.

Thanks for all that info, Peer. I'll try to find that thread you mentioned.

I like your suggestion about checking the speed. If I don't get hypnotized while doing it, that should work great. Smile

After all the failed equipment recently, I need all the luck I can muster, so thanks!

Dave
Linn Sondek LP12, Koetsu Rosewood, Ittok, Mark Levinson ML-9, Nakamichi Dragon, ADS 810 speakers (vertically aligned driver mod), Heathkit AD--1701 Graphic Output Indicator
Sony DVD player, Pioneer 5-disc DVD player, Sony Sub, and one new item: (Jan 2018) NAD C 165BEE Preamp.