Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power

Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power
2018-01-30, 05:09
RE: Linn LP12 motor erratic/vibrates back and forth/lacks power
I got the board back today, along with a new (and very pricey) belt. Installing the board was simple, but getting the motor adjustment screws to provide the proper angle so that the belt wouldn't ride too high (and hit the upper guide) took me a LONG time. I checked the speed with a strobe and it was dead-on. Dug out my old test record and set anti-skating with a blank section--as usual the correct anti-skate setting is different than that if you go by the scale (ie, if you set the force equal to the tracking force scale).

I tweaked 2 of the suspension springs to get the arm board away from the plinth, at the right rear, where it was originally maybe just a mm away, carefully leveled the arm board and platter and put her back in place in the system.

So far, it's working fine. It would be gilding the lily to have it torn down and "rebuilt" by a pro, IMO.

Dave
Linn Sondek LP12, Koetsu Rosewood, Ittok, Mark Levinson ML-9, Nakamichi Dragon, ADS 810 speakers (vertically aligned driver mod), Heathkit AD--1701 Graphic Output Indicator
Sony DVD player, Pioneer 5-disc DVD player, Sony Sub, and one new item: (Jan 2018) NAD C 165BEE Preamp.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-02-01, 00:09
Actually, adjusting anti-skating on a blank record will give an incorrect setting. Anti-skating is designed to overcome an artifact of pivoted tonearms created by the friction of the stylus in the groove. That friction is not near the same on a blank record. The best way to adjust anti-skating is by ear listening for where the music is most tuneful. On an Ittok it usually is quite close to the matching setting.

If you had the turntable set up by a true LP12 expert you would not feel it was gilding the lily at all once you got it home. But I don't know how good the local people are.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-01, 00:27
(2018-02-01 00:09)ThomasOK Wrote:  Actually, adjusting anti-skating on a blank record will give an incorrect setting. Anti-skating is designed to overcome an artifact of pivoted tonearms created by the friction of the stylus in the groove. That friction is not near the same on a blank record. The best way to adjust anti-skating is by ear listening for where the music is most tuneful. On an Ittok it usually is quite close to the matching setting.

If you had the turntable set up by a true LP12 expert you would not feel it was gilding the lily at all once you got it home. But I don't know how good the local people are.
ah, OK, I'll revisit the anti-skating by ear. I've got a couple of test records that are torturous (sample tracks with very high velocity).

Dave
Linn Sondek LP12, Koetsu Rosewood, Ittok, Mark Levinson ML-9, Nakamichi Dragon, ADS 810 speakers (vertically aligned driver mod), Heathkit AD--1701 Graphic Output Indicator
Sony DVD player, Pioneer 5-disc DVD player, Sony Sub, and one new item: (Jan 2018) NAD C 165BEE Preamp.
2018-02-01, 00:39
(2018-02-01 00:09)ThomasOK Wrote:  Actually, adjusting anti-skating on a blank record will give an incorrect setting.

Personally, I would prefer using the term, "imprecise" rather than incorrect.

Anti-skate settings are merely an approximation as the bias required varies with the amplitude of the modulation in the grove.

Using a blank record will assist in getting you "in the ballpark".
It's another tool in your toolbox.

Using a test record with a tone (usually 300 or 350 Hz) cut at various amplitudes will assist in getting you "to home plate".
Just listen or get visual and feed the output to an oscilloscope.

I certainly agree that using your ears is the final step...and will assist in getting "a home run". Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.