Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy v / Best bang for the buck?

Best bang for the buck?
2018-03-05, 17:04
Best bang for the buck?
Hi

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck Linn DSM Streamer, second hand or new. Don't need 4K as I feed my TV directly with a HDMI Splitter but need one external in for pre-outs of AV-Receiver (analog XLR or cinch) and I'm planning on getting a phono soon. I did quite some research and found the following streamer all about the same price:

1. KDSM/0 Renew (only one XLR analog in, would need external source switch)
2. ADSM/1
3 Majik DSM/3 or DSM/2

How would you rate them in terms of sound quality? Any other suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-06, 01:15
RE: Best bang for the buck?
(2018-03-05 17:04)mbabst Wrote:  Hi

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck Linn DSM Streamer, second hand or new. Don't need 4K as I feed my TV directly with a HDMI Splitter but need one external in for pre-outs of AV-Receiver (analog XLR or cinch) and I'm planning on getting a phono soon. I did quite some research and found the following streamer all about the same price:

1. KDSM/0 Renew (only one XLR analog in, would need external source switch)
2. ADSM/1
3 Majik DSM/3 or DSM/2

How would you rate them in terms of sound quality? Any other suggestions?
I’d rate them in the same order as you’ve listed above. Wink
2018-03-06, 01:38
Our ratings don't matter. For your purchases, only your ratings (based on listening tests if at all possible) count.

You don't say what other equipment you have, or how you see your system developing over time. I'm going to assume that, as is the case with most people, this will not be your last purchase.

There has been a fair amount of discussion down the years, but, FWIW, I reckon that the KRDSM would be marginally superior to the ADSM/1 in terms of sound quality, but its connectivity limitations, lack of upgradeability and featureless looks let it down. At the same price, I would rate the ADSM/1 the better buy, not least because it will, very probably, be upgradeable to Katalyst level in due time, and then there would be a very good chance that it will be superior to a KRDSM/0 in terms of sound quality.

The MDSM/2 or /3 is more difficult to compare, because of its built-in power amplification, which might be a significant advantage or a pig in a poke, depending on what other equipment you have or plan to buy. Sound-wise, both models will be inferior to the ADSM/1 (they are of the same generation, but the /3 has the newer HDMI 2.0 board). The MDSM will not be upgradeable to Katalyst any time soon, if ever. Majik level upgrades have in any case only been available with an Exakt purchase, which would make Katalyst in the DSM useless.

All in all, if the prices really are similar (I haven't checked), the ADSM/1 would offer the best deal for me. But, as I said, it's not my priorities that count.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-03-06, 16:06
I have a Klimax dsm renew (pre Katalyst) and it’s a mighty fine bit of kit.

One set of analog inputs is the biggest draw back. FYI I have my TV hooked up via a fibre optic which intern feeds everything we put through the tv. If you AV amp can split stereo left and right from a fibre out then that may be an option. I personally would steer clear of a switching box.

I have also tried connecting ‘everything’ av via hdmi which was a total head f*ck. As far as I could tell you need to be able to turn off source components, which is a problem with Amazon and Apple TV devices.

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-03-06, 20:53 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-06 20:54 by mbabst.)
Thank you, that helps a lot. Forgot to mention that I already have a AV5125 Dynamik Amp. ADSM/1 is probably the way to go.
2018-03-06, 20:58
Seems like a good idea, but what speakers do you have?
2018-03-06, 22:04
Some Piega Coax 30.2.