Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / Trip to Edimburgh

Trip to Edimburgh
2018-03-12, 23:40
RE: Trip to Edimburgh
(2018-03-12 22:21)Donald Wrote:  
(2018-03-12 17:58)Paulssurround Wrote:  Nothing says romance on your 10 year anniversary, like taking your wife to the Linn factory near Glasgow. Tongue

It's an easy 50 minute train ride from Edinburgh to Glasgow, but then a taxi ride about 30-40 minutes south of the city.

And don't forget to pop in and see Glasgow Tour Guide Donald ...!
And drop in for a beer or coffee with me.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
And bring your favourite album with !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-13, 07:31
(2018-03-12 23:40)Ant_C Wrote:  
(2018-03-12 22:21)Donald Wrote:  
(2018-03-12 17:58)Paulssurround Wrote:  Nothing says romance on your 10 year anniversary, like taking your wife to the Linn factory near Glasgow. Tongue

It's an easy 50 minute train ride from Edinburgh to Glasgow, but then a taxi ride about 30-40 minutes south of the city.

And don't forget to pop in and see Glasgow Tour Guide Donald ...!
And drop in for a beer or coffee with me.

Yes, definitely look up Donald and Ant_C when in Glasgow. They are part of a group of other nepharious characters living around Glasgow, that are part of the Premier Inn gang that are great people to visit with. Big Grin

I can attest that Donald is a first class tour guide and Glaswegian.

They will take you to some excellent curry restaurants, and show you some sights in the Glasgow area

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-03-13, 13:26
(2018-03-12 14:51)dadgad Wrote:  Matteo,
I live in Edinburgh and would be happy to share some information. Much depends on what your other interests are outside hifi/music.

If you are a people person, and love the arts in all their facets, then come in August when the International Festival, Fringe, and Book Festival are in full swing. You can see shows of every conceivable kind from 9 am to 2 am the next day. It busy, and there are many opportunities to spend a lot of money.
If you like scenery, then we have a lot of , not just in the highlands but quite close to Edinburgh itself. A good time is May - long hours of daylight, still snow on the distant hills, usually dry weather, no midges.
If you like architecture, then we have a lot of 18th Century 'Georgian' buildings, and some interesting modern structures like the bridges at Queensferry. Late summer evenings show them up well.
If you like old Victorian pubs then google Bennets Bar in Tollcross, the Canny Mans in Morningside, the Cafe Royal near Princes Street and Leslie's Bar on Ratcliffe Terrace. These are especially cosy on cold autumn and winter evenings!
Edinburgh in the winter is very evocative, not that cold*, but there are long hours of darkness which some find depressing. *Considering we are nearly as far north as Alaska...

There are also many opportunities to hear top class live and recorded music, with 4-5 good dealers, may record shops and lots of concerts and folk sessions. Hope this helps.

(2018-03-12 13:51)Dave W Wrote:  A visit to Edinburgh was never complete for me without a visit to the "Beehive" pub in the Haymarket. But that was some time ago, I hope it hasn't been upgraded!
If you mean the Beehive on the Grassmarket (down below the Castle) then yes its still there. I don't know of any Beehive near Haymarket Station - only Ryrie's which is a very busy tourist pub

I do indeed, I stand corrected.Rolleyes

KDSM3>QED Ref XLR40>Aktive Akubariks>AQ carbon>Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM3/PMC DB1
Bedroom-MDSM1/Monitor audio 50s