Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-21, 07:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Twonky 5: Netgear ReadyNAS music-only version (for DS users) available for download

Twonky 5: Netgear ReadyNAS music-only version (for DS users) available for download
2009-09-14, 17:19 (This post was last modified: 2010-03-04 20:20 by Briain.)
Smile Twonky 5: Netgear ReadyNAS music-only version (for DS users) available for download
Hi

Update, 4th March 2010: New tree for 5.0.68 located here

Note that the actual installations instructions begin about half way down the post and do not continue to the end; the installation process is actually very easy. The beginning and end of the instruction section is clearly titled, so do not be put off by the overall size of the post! If you just want to get on and do it, the 'instructions only' section (taken from the below text) can be found in a vastly shorter post by clicking here.

Note (17th January 2010) also that there's an even newer tree available (see section about changing the tree; it's just after the installation instructions section below). The supplied one is fine, but the replacement has a slightly simpler and thus more intuitive menu layout; it's easier for guests to understand and thus navigate the menu.

Introduction:

Well this is a long post; sorry about that! For any ReadyNAS owners though, it really is well worth reading!! Don't panic though; I've written way too much such that I cover all areas (in case someone has a question half way through an installation). The update process is very easy but it's worth vaguely understanding things before you dive in (including whether you even want to use this version).

In summary; I think that this 5.0.68 (tweaked version with my tree) is not perfect, but as long as you know about the remaining issues (the first three updates at the very end of this post detail them) it is excellent for our needs and unlike other versions, it will not risk breaking the ReadyNAS..

Software packages designed for the ReadyNAS are called add-ons (just so you know what an add-on is); this Twonky update is an example of a ReadyNAS add-on.

There are two add-on's available: If you only have a small handful of albums, the basic Twonky default tree (and very basic music menus) might be just sufficient to meet your needs; there's also a link to that 'basic' add-on at the end.

The one with my menu structures is ideal if you have more than a couple of hundred albums (and great if you also have lots of compilations and/or classical albums). The link to it is at the start of the installation section below.

Scope and General Information

A special version of Twonky 5.0.68 (for the ReadyNAS Duo and NV+) with music only menu (one of my trees) is now available for download from the ReadyNAS forum community add-ons page (link further down this post). Below shows the contents of the main menu (this was updated in the ad-don from 2nd December)

[Image: file.php?id=370]

Note that this is a community designed add-on and is thus not supported by Twonky, nor is it supported by Netgear or Linn (in truth, it's actually not supported by anybody what so ever, however, it does actually work really quite well and doesn't break your NAS; all things considered, that's not too bad a risk rating really) Smile

In conjunction with ‘super-poussin’ (the ReadyNAS add-ons expert on the Netgear ReadyNAS forum), we now have a version of Twonky 5.0.68 with a menu geared to suit the large collections of music Linn DS users are likely to have, and more critically, one suitable for safe deployment on the ReadyNAS Duo or ReadyNAS NV+. Twonky 5 does not have user-configurable music trees (that’s what sets the menu items you see in things like the Linn GUI, Kinsky Desktop and Kinsky PDA), however, I have designed a music tree which will suit most users as it is. The top level of the new menu replaces the standard Music, Picture and Video items with the ones shown in the above picture. Super-poussin has also built in a facility to change the trees without the need to use Linux/SSH (more on that below).

About the changes:

This version of Twonky 5.0.65 relocates the database and cache (temporary) files outside the operating system area of the ReadyNAS, and into a new area on the main part of the drive. That means that the operating system area of the drive is no longer at risk of filling up with cache/database files and thus there is now no risk of breaking the NAS.

The new tree includes things like composer menus (which don’t work with Twonky 4) and a whole bunch of other navigation features (best left to discover than to describe here). This new build also makes a new share available; that means you can access the tree (to edit it, if you are brave; save a copy first though) or replace the tree with a more suitable one (more will be published soon) by simply mapping a drive to it (no need for any Linux skills or SSH access).

The database is very large with this version; my collection of 17,000 FLAC files creates a database of 4.2 GB, however, this is located on the main drive and thus doesn’t cause any problems at all. With my collection, it takes 1h 40mins to build a fresh database, and 15 minutes to perform a rescan.

There is a new button in the NAS web page (Frontview) under Services, Installed Add-on’s, Twonky. Use only this button if you have to rebuild the database as the one on the Twonky configuration page doesn’t delete the old one prior to building the new one. Also, don’t use a desktop shortcut (http://your.nas.ip.address:9000/rpc/rebuild) as this also doesn’t delete the old files either. To use the button, open Frontview and navigate to Services, then Installed Add-ons, then scroll down to Twonky. Then select ‘Yes’ from the dropdown list and select ‘Save’ to rebuild the database. Ideally, wait until it has finished rebuilding before doing anything else (like making changes and selecting it again).

As with Twonky 4, you can use the Twonky Rescan button (or a desktop shortcut to http://your.nas.ip.address:9000/rpc/rescan) to rescan the contents after uploading a new CD; just avoid the Twonky Rebuild button and only use the Frontview button for any rebuilds. You can of course set the rescan to -1 and it will display any new music in seconds, however, as with Twonky 4, if using that option, first upload the new album to somewhere outside the Music folder on your NAS, then once it’s there, drag and drop it into it’s final resting place. That will prevent any issues with it trying to rebuild the database half way through the upload process. If in doubt, just leave it set to 0 and perform manual rescans after uploading your new albums.

This version of Twonky works really well with all embedded artwork (every single one shows on my system; that’ll be a shock to most of you). You can use dBpoweramp’s music convertor to embed all your artwork to the FLAC files (might take over a day though) then perform a database rebuild once it’s done. I’ve not tried Twonky 5 with Folder.jpg’s only; it might well be absolutely fine (and thus you might not need to embed the art). If only one or two are missing, try just embedding those ones using dBpoweramp or MP3TAG.

The two remaining 'problems':

The only limitation with Twonky 5.0.68 is that it has no option to display things like ‘The Beatles’ as ‘Beatles, The’. Unfortunately, you’ll either have to put up with this until we can make Twonky 5.1, or better still, change the names (using MP3TAG) from ‘The Beatles’ to ‘Beatles, The’; that’ll be the problem sorted once and for all.

Unlike Twonky 4, Twonky 5.0 doesn't permit the creation of a compilations folder where it ignores all the contributing artists; see further down for full information on that.

I mentioned Twonky 5.1; as far as I am concerned, 5.1 is just not ready yet. It might not ever suit the ReadyNAS (we've had problems getting it to work at all) we simply don't know how it will develop, but it will take lots more time (and testing) so don't expect a ReadyNAS 5.1 anytime soon.

Database size

Back to this version (5.0.68); for my collection (18000 FLAC files) the database is 4.3 GB; as stated elsewhere though, the database (and the cache files) have now been re-located onto the main part of the drive (where they can do no harm). Incidentally, the database size is proportional to both the size of the collection and the quantity of 'menu' items in the tree; without the three 'year' and one folder container, it was about 2.9 GB.

Please ensure you have the space to add this new version; if your NAS is packed with music and there's no space left in the main music share, it'll not work. For example, if you have 500GB drives with only 3GB (about 8 albums) space left, get bigger drives before trying this.

SqueezeCenter and SkweezyDS (Ignore this if you don’t use either):

One last thing; Twonky now appears on your.nas.ip.address:9000 as opposed to your.nas.ip.address:8100 (like Twonky 4 did). This means that it will conflict with SqueezeCenter (and thus SkweezyDS). if you have that running on your NAS. You can change Twonky, but it breaks the new button in Frontview. The solution is to change SqueezeCenter’s port from 9000 to something else (say, 9050) by accessing the SqueezeCenter setup pages. You don’t need to change the http port; leave that at 9030.

Licence:

Yu can enter your old Twonky 4 licence into the Twonky licence upgrade page and get discount on a Twonky 5 licence. This didn't work for one of my friends, however, there's a link to report it if it doesn't work.

Try the add-on first, it will work for up to 30 days without a licence key (everything apart from internet radio) and report any upgrade issues here; if there are a few, I'll collate them and send an email to PV directly (I've no real influence, but I do have all their email addresses).

Trees:

The included tree (image at start of post) has menu’s suited to most. If you don’t add the picture and video paths to the Twonky settings, these items will not show in the main menu. If you do wish to show pictures, set it to show only a few and see how you get on (if you have thousands, it’ll add to the database build time and size). The pictures can be viewed on a browser (including a PDA) and will be rescaled to suit the screen. I’m eventually planning to use it for a few album notes; maybe.

Compilations and the Album Artist menu item (the top one):

The first container (Album Artist ~ List Albums) will be empty for people who haven't populated the albumartist tag (EAC CD ripper/encoder doesn't populate it). If so, simply use the container below (Song Artist ~ List Albums) which will work just as it did with Twonky 4’s Artist/Album selection. The albumartist tag can be populated by using a MP3TAG (the albumartist field needs added to MP3TAG so you can actually populate it) and the CD ripper/encoder by dBpoweramp has this field available by default (so you can check that it's populated when ripping your new CD's).

With Twonky 4, if you used a directory named 'compilations' or 'samplers' to hold your compilation albums, it would hide the artists from the lists, this feature doesn't work in Twonky 5. That said, if you already have your compilations separated anyway, the very best option is to use MP3TAG to select all the non-compilations (the whole directory at once) and use a rule to populate the albumartist tag with the artist info from each tune (you just start it going, then leave it whilst it rattles through them all and adds all the new tags; might take a few hours, but it's a hands-off automated process). As the artist tag is the same for every track anyway, it means the albumartist tag is correctly the same as the artist one. That will leave you with the best of both worlds by giving you the shorter list in the first container (albumartist) but still leaving all the contributing artists in the second container (song artist). It thus means you have the convenience of the short list (as you would by hiding them as Compilations) under albumartist, but still have a facility to find a contributing artist in the second container. That's how I use it and it's just great to be able to use the additional info; I'd never go back to the hidden compilations.

You need to add the albumartist field and a rule to MP3TAG; I have a zip file which does that for you; anyone needing it please PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

As I say, the Song Artist ~ List Albums will work exactly like Artist/Album does in Twonky 4, so you will still be able to use that container even without any albumartist tags populated, however, it will contain every artist in your collection.

General navigation:

Most of the first few containers are alpha-grouped (A, B, C etc) to speed up operation and cut down the quantity of items in any single menu. There are other features; an example being the ability to list composer's albums (each in the correct track order) or list all a composers tracks in alphabetical order (where available, this 'all' feature is shown as the first 'folder' - above all the album artworks - in Kinsky PDA). As stated above, it's best just to click on everything to find out what it does; nothing will explode! Smile

I have also included a folder view (called 'Music Folders on Drive') for selecting (and playing) WAV files, or for finding FLAC/MP3 files which have been encoded without any tags.

Installation instructions:

First download the new ReadyNAS 'TwonkyMedia 5.0.68 for Linn users' add-on from here

Read the below steps carefully and familiarise yourself with the steps (and the locations of all the discussed settings) before actually doing anything.
  • Handy tip No. 0: If you use a dual drive NAS (Duo or an NV+ with only two drives fitted; i.e. you are set to RAID 1) you can remove one of the drives prior to removing Twonky 4 and installing Twonky 5 (i.e. before doing anything). That way, if you run into difficulty (or don't like this change) you can remove the drive you have 'updated' (now with Twonky 5) and replace the other drive (back into its original slot), then start the NAS on that drive alone (it will all be back to as-was; i.e. Twonky 4 again) then replace the other drive to sync it to back the original. You will thus end up back to exactly where you were before you started. Please ask if you need any help with this process; better to ask first than to end up with no music!!

So here's how it goes:

NB If used, first change SqueezeCenter port to 9050 (see above)

A. First remove Twonky 4 (via Frontview/Services/Streaming Services) and reboot the NAS (System then Shutdown then click on ‘Shutdown and reboot device’ then click on the Apply button; see picture below).

B. Install the new 'TwonkyMedia 5.0.68 for Linn users' Twonky add-on, then via Frontview, select 'System', 'Update', then the 'Local' tab (it's in the middle of the page this time). Browse for the downloaded file (Twonky_1.0b.bin) and select 'Upload and verify image'. When verified (takes about 20 secs), select the 'Update System' button (that button will appear in the below image once the file has been uploaded).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=997]

C.
As soon as it has popped up the 'add-on installed' information, restart the NAS as per step 1 (System then Shutdown then click on ‘Shutdown and reboot device’ then click on the Apply button; just as you did for step A). It might be a few seconds or even a minute before you are able to hit the apply button in the restart page (it'll appear as light grey as opposed to black text on the button); as soon as you can, do it though.
  • Handy tip No. 1: If you click on another menu item (say Clock) then back to Shutdown, it'll speed up the availability of the Apply button on the shutdown page (by forcing a refresh).

• Handy tip No. 2: If you are still having problems with restarting the NAS (Frontview isn't responding), type http://your.nas.ip.address:9000/rpc/stop into your web browser; that'll stop the initial Twonky scan and thus permit you to access the restart option in Frontview. Twonky doesn't automatically start rescanning when you restart the NAS (which would prevent you accessing it due to the workload that presents to the NAS), so you can then access the Twonky config pages and set the paths etc (i.e. move to step 4 below)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=992]

D. When the NAS has re-started, access the Twonky config page (your.nas.ip.address:9000) or by opening the Frontview page (then navigating to Services/Installed Add-ons) and pressing the 'Launch it' button in the Twonky add-on.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=991]

E. On the new Twonky page, click on the spanner icon to access the Twonky settings page, then select 'Sharing' (arrow 1). Now click on the the browse button (arrow 2) and select the path to the media; it will be 'media' then 'music' and set its type as ‘Music-only’ and click on the 'Save Changes' button (arrow 3).

NB If you have your albums in a sub-folder within Music, you can simply browse to that folder (eg /media/music/albums); that's useful if you have other folders in Music (maybe other data or pictures) and don't want Twonky to scan them.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=993]

F. Now select 'first steps (arrow 4 below) and type the name (anthing you want to appear in the control point as your server name) as I have done at arrow 5. Select 'Save Changes' button (arrow 6) then select the 'Restart Server' button (arrow 7).

Note that you'll find another restart server button one under the 'Maintenance' link; it does the same thing.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=994]

G. Go to Frontview/services/installed add-ons and scroll down to Twonky

H. Select 'Yes' and then select 'Save' to delete and rebuild the database

[Image: attachment.php?aid=996]

I. Once it has finished the rebuild (could be 2 hours; that depends on the size of your collection), go to the Twonky config page again and refresh it (or simply click on the server status link). You should see that the status has changed from 'updating'.

J. Internet Radio: Now select 'Media Feeds' and check that all the Internet Radio and Shoutcast boxes are ticked. Then select the ‘Save Changes’ button; the web page should briefly change (after a few seconds) and return a message that the information has been successfully uploaded to the Mediafusion server; internet radio will appear in the menu a few minutes later.

If that doesn't work, it could be the default gateway or DNS settings in your NAS (Network/Global Settings) that are wrong (that only applies if the NAS has been set with a static IP address). If they are incorrect, Twonky 4 internet radio wouldn't have worked either though! If that's the case (and your NAS has a static IP address) your default gateway should be your routers IP address, usually something like 192.168.1.1 (or 0.1 or 1.254 or 0.254) and a you can use the same setting for the first DNS entry (and add Open DNS ones like 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 for the other two).

K. Enjoy learning the new navigation options (only as good as your tagging though) and play some music.
  • Note 1: That the server statistics in Twonky config page no longer show the track count; this is because PV have tied that to their original tree code (which I have now replaced). This doesn't have any impact other than the count shows as zero (the page will still show ‘updating’ whilst the database is being built/rescanned; you can thus still tell when it’s finished by occasionally refreshing the page and observing when the 'updating' message has disappeared).

• Note 2: In an earlier version of Twonky 5, I had an issue where one drive of the RAID 1 pair got throw out of the RAID set towards the end of a full database rebuild (the ‘disk’ LED on the NAS started blinking and I got a message via Frontview); this happened every time I tried it. I’ve not had it with this version (I think it’s rebuild pace is more controlled), but I am just mentioning it in case anyone else (maybe with different specification disks from mine) experiences a problem (please let me know if you do). The solution (this time only) is to withdraw the ‘blinking’ disk, then re-insert it after the database rebuild has completed (re-sync can then take 6 hours on slow disks; the LED will remain flashing until it has finished). Next time you have to do a full database rebuild (I hardly ever need to) then go into Frontview, System, Performance and tick ‘Disable journaling’ before you do the rebuild, that will prevent it from happening (re-tick it after the database rebuild has finished).

• Note 3: With Twonky rescan set to -1 (monitor for new music), the NAS will likely rescan the content directory whenever it is restarted (this takes 15 minutes); setting it to zero, or a high positive number (zero or -1 are the most sensible options though) prevents this from happening. That's useful if you switch it off when not in use, it's also useful for dealers who need to use it for home demonstrations (you don't want to wait for ages whilst it scans after boot up)

End of main instructions.

Alternative versions:

As mentioned above, the Linn DS users version for the Duo and NV+ is here
There is also a standard PV supplied tree version available here

Both these versions are NAS-friendly, but the standard one's menu structure is a bit too basic unless you only have a handful of albums. There's no need to switch between the two if you wish to change the menu structure; you can simply change the trees using the new mapping (\\hostname\twonkymedia) and performing a full database rebuild; see below for details.

Changing the tree (if new ones are released in future):
To do this, map a drive to \\hostname\twonkymedia (if you have a Duo, you might need to first disconnect the \\hostname\media mapping, but try it without doing that first; it depends on the security settings). See 'New Mapping Security' below if you still have problems accessing this new share.

In this new mapped drive, you'll find a folder called 'views' which contains the default.view.xml file that sets the menu items. Replace that one with any new version you wish to try, then use the Frontview button to rebuild the database (step H in the above instructions).

Note, don't rename (or change the extension of) the existing one and leave it in there; move it out (somewhere safe on your PC or MAC) and use only the one file in that folder!

Alternative trees
A post with alternative trees (simpler menu structure and a minor bug fix) and instructions on how to change them (4 simple steps) is available here

Accessing the new \twonkymedia share: (remember, this is only required if you wish to change the supplied music tree)

On my NV+, I could simply access this share without any additional steps, however, my friends Duo needed a user and password set before he could gain access. TomBK used another method which makes sense. Try the below first, and if you still can't get in, try the password method after that. When I get my test Duo back (it's out on loan) I'll check the below where user names already exist and where they don't. I'll then write a 'universal solution' for the Duo twonkymedia share access.
  • Share settings method:

Frontview/Shares/share listing/AFP/ - then change default Access to read/write...I also ticked the "Advanced AFP Permission" (posts here on pages 4 & 5)

• Password method:

For a Duo, if you can’t access the new \\hostname\twonkymedia share, open Frontview, look at the Security page, select 'Add User' then create a user name and password (you don't need to populate any other entries like email or quota; just leave them alone) then click apply.

Now try mapping to the \\hostname\twonkymedia share again (with the new user name and password; in Windows, there's a link called 'log in as different user' but I'm not sure about MAC's) and you should get in no problem.

Once you've got in (and changed the file) you can drop that mapping and map back to \\hostname\media in the normal way (it shouldn't ask you for a user and password, but if by any chance it does, just use the new ones you've just created).

If interested; the database file locations:

Incidentally, before you drop the \twonkimedia mapping, you can (if interested) look at the \db directory. In there, there'll be a few directories. The one directory called 'default.view' is the database, and the cache file (the one inside \db) will have the images for the last tracks you have played. Everything inside the \db directory is deleted when you hit the rebuild button in Frontview.

[b]History and people:

I’ve been developing (and using) custom trees with Twonky 5.0 for many months; Twonky 5 is good but needed a few things fixed before it could be recommended to DS users. I've recently been working with super-poussin on a ReadyNAS version of Twonky 5.0.68 that actually works. Super-poussin is not a Netgear employee, but writes all the high-tech and cool add-on's published in the user’s add-on area of the forum. He has now built a version of Twonky which creates a new share on the ReadyNAS; this share contains the music trees such that people can change them via a Windows drive mapping as opposed to SSH/Linux activities. The new add-on also moves the database and cache files onto the main part of the drive which will prevent any more ReadyNAS failures.

Once we were happy with the basic add-on, he built another which includes a 'universal' music only tree I’ve designed specifically to suit most Linn DS users. This version also has the additional share for the trees, however, the included one will generally suit most people such that this new add-on can be used 'out the box' without having to worry about drive mappings and changing trees for now. My plan is to get feedback on what folks like/dislike about the current ‘menu’ items, then I’ll publish alternative replacement trees (also with instructions on how to replace them).

Both versions (Twonky original tree and this one with the Linn DS specific tree) now have a new database delete and rebuild button on the NAS configuration web page; this was required as Linux Twonky 5's own rebuild button archives the old database prior to building the new one; given that my database is 4.2 GB, that's not such a great thing to happen. I asked super-poussin to make the new Frontview button trash all the contents of the /db file (including the database and cache files) prior to using the rpc/rebuild command to rebuild the database; it really does work now.

Incidentally, Twonky 5 rescan is much better than Twonky 4’s one; you only have to perform a full database rebuild if you have a problem (maybe you have made changes to the tags and a simple rescan hasn’t pick them up).

I’ve built the new trees as freebies as I needed them myself, however, super-poussin has spent a lot of time working on this add-on (and sorting out some of the problems with Twonky) as well as putting up with me demanding new add-ons (poor chap) and he’s not even a Twonky user himself (he had to buy a licence to make this work for us). It is a freebie too, however, it would be quite nice if at least a few people made a token gesture by donating a very small token of thanks to him for doing all that work for us. That’s a very tricky call to make (not sure I should even mention it here) and absolutely nothing to do with myself; I'll leave that totally up to the individuals to decide.

Notes, updates and limitations of Twonkly 5.0.68

Update 1: 18 Sept 11:56

The below add-on isn't picking up pre-saved playlists (this looks like it's maybe a minor bug in the Linux verion of Twonky) however I do now have a fix for it; if you use pre-written playlists then perform this additional step to pick them up: Once you have finished all the below installation instructions and everything is working (i.e. it has completely finished it's initial database build; could be up to 2 hours), change the rescan time from 0 to -1, (then restart the server as prompted) and it will pick up al the playlists after it's rescanned (probably about 20 minutes).

You can set it back to zero afterwards and they will all still be there (but any new ones written after this has been done, will require you to go through that same process to pick them up). You can of course also elect to leave it at -1 as long as you understand how to deal with that. It's maybe not the best option as the database grows even bigger, but I use it like that and rebuild the database every 3 or 4 months to keep things tidy; more on using -1 in the above post (do a search for -1 to find these sections)

Update 2: 01 Oct 14:06

Ignore artists from compilations directory doesn't work in Twonky 5. This can be overcome by using MP3TAG (with an additional rule) to populate all the albumartist tags (for non-compilations) in one go (which is a far better solution anyway); more in the appropriate sections below.

Update 3: 02 Oct 10:57

The iPod software seems to be having difficulty finding Twonky 5; if you use an iPod to control things, please look here and also look at some the posts previous to that one.

Update: 02 Dec 02:01

Updated (and it's worth changing the tree if you downloaded this addon prior to 2nd Dec 2009). The add-on now has new music/picture/video tree (this is what governs the items in the menu structure; see menu picture at top of post). It now has two album containers; the original one as suited to Kinsky PDA, and a new one which shows all albums on the one screen. Both are good fun on KinskyDesktop (the existing one being faster whe navigating to the album you wish; the new one being great for browsing all).

It also seems to make Twonky load the artwork much faster than before (which is cool), and it also has all the multimedia features which I omitted from my original trees (which, by their inclusion, now makes it much more fun to use), so it seems that there are no down sides, many up-sides, and indeed loads of good bits too; have fun and let me know how it goes (good or bad)! Smile

The latest menu structure is as shown in the above post. The picture and video items will only show if you set Twonky sharing paths to them and tick picture and video sections (like YouTube etc) in the ‘Media Feeds’ section of the Twonky config page. If none of these are ticked and the paths not set, you can avoid having these two items in the menu.

If you do elect to use them, your photo thumbnails will actually show in Kinsky Desktop, and by using a web browser, you can now see stuff from PhotoBucket, Flickr, Picasa Web, YouTube and all these other services I'm probably far too old to fully understand. If you have a PS3, Xbox, DNLA TV, Kodak photothingy or anything like that; simply use the new menus to stream away and have fun. Big Grin

Update: 4th March 2010

New tree for 5.0.68 located here. New tree has vastly better (and less cluttered) menu with more advanced (and more intuitive) navigation options.

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-09-14, 18:42 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-14 18:43 by Keltik Klown.)
RE: Twonky 5 (ReadyNAS music-only version for DS users) now available for download
Excellent stuff. A big well done to Briain and all those involved. I'll be installing this on my ReadyNAS Duo in the next couple of days.

Can I suggest to the Mods that this thread is "Sticky'd"?

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2009-09-14, 18:48
RE: Twonky 5 (ReadyNAS music-only version for DS users) now available for download
Hi

Please feedback on the instructions (do they make sense or could anytning be made less ambiguous) and the functionality (tree contents). I find the navigation and find options to be great, but I've been using it for months so no no better Smile

Bri

PS pictures of Twonky and Frontview settings will be added tonight (as long as I don't have too much of that red wine JohnC gave me for fixing his NAS) Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
2009-09-14, 18:53
Good show Bri - I'll give it a go now and report back.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2009-09-14, 18:53 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-14 18:53 by Keltik Klown.)
Briain Wrote:Please feedback on the instructions (do they make sense or could anytning be made less ambiguous) and the functionality (tree contents).

Sure. I'll review when installing etc.

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2009-09-14, 19:25
All installed and now rebuilding - instructions look fine - I went through them without a hitch. I've installed/uninstalled Twonky a few times already in the past, so that may have helped.
I'd say the addition of pictures may be of assistance to some.

Mick

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2009-09-14, 19:26
Oh, and as for the "one remaining problem", I tend to drop the "The" anyway so that's not an issue...

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2009-09-14, 19:40 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-15 16:58 by Briain.)
A good 'get me out of jail' fallback plan:

One thing you could do (assiming you are runing two drives; i.e. RAID 1) is to remove the second drive before following the above steps. That way, you could always get back to where you were (Twonky 4) by booting the NAS on the 'removed' drive only (then replacing the first one to RAID sync it back to normal).

If you do like the new Twonky 5 setup, simply put the removed drive back to RAID sync it to the new version.

Bri

PS Ignore the below attachments; they're for use to embed in the main instructions

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2009-09-14, 19:50
Excellent work, Briain - I might take the risk finally of installing Twonky alongside Squeezecenter before thinking about a DS purchase seriously. For those looking to find it, the port suggested for Squeezecenter to avoid the Twonky clash is found on Squeezecenter's Settings > Avanced tab > Drop-down menu for Network > Web server port number. 9050 does indeed work OK. Remember to change any bookmarks you might use, otherwise you won't find the web interface Smile
2009-09-14, 20:23
Briain Wrote:A good 'get me out of jail' fallback plan:

One thing you could do (assiming you are runing two drives; i.e. RAID 1) is to remove the second drive before following the above steps. That way, you could always get back to where you were (Twonky 4) by booting the NAS on the 'removed' drive only (then replacing the first one to RAID sync it back to normal).

If you do like the new Twonky 5 setup, simply put the removed drive back to RAID sync it to the new version.

Bri

Hi,

Just want to mention if you do remove the second drive before you do the upgrade in case it fails, which it should not, if you then have to reboot from that second drive make sure you PLACE IT BACK IN THE SLOT IT CAME OUT OF, not in the first drive's slot.

I am now using this new Twonky 5 that Briain set up the other night and it is very very good. The tree system makes finding music so much easier and quicker.

A huge thank you again to Briain for sorting my NAS and for all the work he has done to make using the DS with KinskyDesktop or PDA much easier.

Cheers

John

(Main Room - Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2 - Majik DS - 2250D - Akurate 212's - Quad PA-One - Sennheiser HD800s ) ( TV Room - Auralic Aries Mini - Naim Headline - Beyerdynamics DT880's ) ( Tidal - ReadyNas Duo - Kazoo ) ( Linn mains cables, Kimber 8TC speaker cable, Mogami interconnects ) ( LP12-Ittok-Karma -retired!! )