Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Introducing Katalyst for Akurate

Introducing Katalyst for Akurate
2018-03-16, 22:44 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-17 16:01 by Music at Home.)
RE: Introducing Katalyst for Akurate
(2018-03-16 17:07)Briain Wrote:  PS When I get my ADSM updated, it might not be wise for me to compare them for very long (or at all) as I whilst I would still expect the KDS to sound more musical, I will then be a lot more conscious of the downsides of the pre-Katalyst system (as they were pretty big) so I'd probably end up using neither of them as both will have different sonic flaws! Wink

Hi Briain, when you get your Akurate DSM upgraded, as well as comparing it with your KDS it would be very interesting to see how it compares as a pre-amp to your Klimax Kontrol. I think there's every possibility that your upgraded DSM could actually surpass it. If you remember from this white paper a Klimax Kontrol was compared to a Klimax DSM ( was that a /0 ?) used as a pre-amp and the DSM was found to measure and sound better. What's also notable from that comparison is that the analogue input to the Klimax DSM was being handled through the digital pathway, i.e. converted to digital at the input and converted back from digital to analogue at the output. Given that your upgraded Akurate DSM will have the Katalyst DAC architecture, it's not inconceivable that it could outperform a KDSM/0 as a pre-amp and therefore outperform a Klimax Kontrol to an even greater extent. Might be an opportunity to retire the KK, or reuse elsewhere, and simplify the box count?

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-20, 22:02 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-23 08:24 by singalong.)
Ordered .. and after hearing the KDSMKAT (was it 2 years before?) the anticipation getting the upgrade to ADSMKAT from ADSMK1 is overwhelming ..

Singing along to musicians ..
2018-03-20, 22:17
(2018-03-16 22:44)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2018-03-16 17:07)Briain Wrote:  PS When I get my ADSM updated, it might not be wise for me to compare them for very long (or at all) as I whilst I would still expect the KDS to sound more musical, I will then be a lot more conscious of the downsides of the pre-Katalyst system (as they were pretty big) so I'd probably end up using neither of them as both will have different sonic flaws! Wink

Hi Briain, when you get your Akurate DSM upgraded, as well as comparing it with your KDS it would be very interesting to see how it compares as a pre-amp to your Klimax Kontrol. I think there's every possibility that your upgraded DSM could actually surpass it. If you remember from this white paper a Klimax Kontrol was compared to a Klimax DSM ( was that a /0 ?) used as a pre-amp and the DSM was found to measure and sound better. What's also notable from that comparison is that the analogue input to the Klimax DSM was being handled through the digital pathway, i.e. converted to digital at the input and converted back from digital to analogue at the output. Given that your upgraded Akurate DSM will have the Katalyst DAC architecture, it's not inconceivable that it could outperform a KDSM/0 as a pre-amp and therefore outperform a Klimax Kontrol to an even greater extent. Might be an opportunity to retire the KK, or reuse elsewhere, and simplify the box count?
It would be nice if an ADSM would outperform a KDS/KK combo. I can't wait til the reviews arrive (but I'll have to wait 3 months for my upgrade).

Tin can telephone system.
2018-03-20, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-21 19:15 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, it would certainly be a very interesting comparison to hear! I certainly didn't like the DVC in pre-Katalyst DSs, but I am open minded at what the new scheme brings to the sonic party, so I will listen with 'open ears' (and maybe even an open mind) when the opportunity arises.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADS/0 -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-04-16, 23:12
(2018-03-14 16:04)alexeg Wrote:  Afternoon all,

Last year Katalyst arrived to the Akubarik and Akudorik speakers and since then, we've been asked when Katalyst will be rolled out to the entire Akurate range.

Today is the answer! Big Grin Katalyst is now available for the following products:
Akurate DS
Akurate DSM
Akurate Exaktbox 6
Akurate Exaktbox 10

As promised, upgrades are available to the latest spec for existing owners of any of these four products!

The difference Katalyst brings to the Akurate network music players and Exaktboxes is huge. Make sure to book yourself in for a demo with your local dealer and experience the difference for yourself Big Grin

When will there be an upgrade for the 530 speakers?
2018-04-17, 07:23
(2018-04-16 23:12)Chiptech Wrote:  
(2018-03-14 16:04)alexeg Wrote:  Afternoon all,

Last year Katalyst arrived to the Akubarik and Akudorik speakers and since then, we've been asked when Katalyst will be rolled out to the entire Akurate range.

Today is the answer! Big Grin Katalyst is now available for the following products:
Akurate DS
Akurate DSM
Akurate Exaktbox 6
Akurate Exaktbox 10

As promised, upgrades are available to the latest spec for existing owners of any of these four products!

The difference Katalyst brings to the Akurate network music players and Exaktboxes is huge. Make sure to book yourself in for a demo with your local dealer and experience the difference for yourself Big Grin

When will there be an upgrade for the 530 speakers?

How long is a piece of string? I'd imagine if they are going to Kat the 5 series it will sooner rather than later, now that Akurate have been done. If.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-17, 09:21 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-17 09:22 by DavidHB.)
(2018-04-16 23:12)Chiptech Wrote:  When will there be an upgrade for the 530 speakers?

You could omit the "When?" from that question, and it would be just as valid. There has been no hint at all from Linn that the 5 Series speakers will be updated at all. So timster's estimate is in the right ballpark Smile.

That said, I would have thought that the 5 Series are the obvious next candidate for the Katalyst treatment, so who knows what is round the corner? Linn tend to make announcements in Spring and Autumn, so September/October looks like the next window of opportunity. But don't hold your breath.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-04-17, 13:56 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-17 13:56 by Catweazle.)
(2018-03-16 18:33)mcgillroy Wrote:  Thx Briain - interesting info on Katalyst low end. I too was wondering about the Subbox getting katalysed and hope Linn can clarify this.

+1

An Exaktbox Sub is certainly on my wishlist, and when I sketch out my roadmap, an informed decision would be better than an uninformed guess.

Without knowledge, if a Katalysed Exaktbox Sub can be expected soon, and if an upgrade shall be available, I'm rather reluctant. So I put the Exaktbox Sub from Prio 2 into the Backlog for the moment.
2018-04-17, 15:54
There is dealer meeting in September so have fingers crossed for you

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Katalyst Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Katalyst Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2018-04-17, 17:04
There's always a dealer's conference in September. So if there is going to be anything for the 5 series, that is probably the earliest anyone will know about it Smile

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user