Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Forum and Community Feedback v / When Does Banter Become Nonsense?

When Does Banter Become Nonsense?
2018-03-16, 14:12
When Does Banter Become Nonsense?
In the threads, banter between regulars is good fun and I really enjoy it.

But to some it is "nonsense" and causes annoyance.

I don't think we need any rules, but perhaps there are some guidelines to consider?

I think its clear that a thread started purely along the lines of fun and banter can wander wherever it likes.

But for a particular topic, perhaps a couple of posts of banter is fine but then it needs to get back on track? Or banter goes in a post alongside a contribution to the topic?

Just putting it out there for debate.

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-16, 14:22
RE: When Does Banter Become Nonsense?
Previously the 'rule of thumb' was that when the OPs question has been sufficiently answered, there is room for a bit of fun.

The admins are very lenient, so it seems that nobody at Linn considers this a bad practise.
Individuals who object to fun are free to put people who enjoy it on their ignore lists.

I don't think we should make it bigger than that.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-03-16, 16:20
I have been studying the ebb and flow of threads over the last 6.5 years since joining the Linn Forum.

Many threads are on topic for a while, drift, then come back to topic, only to diverge again later.

It is a passion and hobby for all of us, and many people want to share their enthusiasm for HiFi, Linn products, music and questions they have. While at other times, we are forming friendships and being part of a community.

The only rules I can think of is be kind, respectful and helpful to each other, and if you can make it humorous and entertaining, even better for the rest of us. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-03-16, 19:40
I didn't get where I am today by being kind, respectful and helpful:

[Image: image.jpg]

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-03-22, 00:12
Just my point of view:
I don't mind humour, nonsense and departing from the theme of the thread.
I do mind rudeness and pompousness.
I also find that in most hifi forums the philosophy of "I understand electronics/physics and, therefore, what you say is rubbish" kills individuality and innovation. Also it is generally said in a rude way.

Donuk sunny downtown York
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-22, 07:37 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-22 07:38 by Tin.)
(2018-03-22 00:12)donuk Wrote:  I also find that in most hifi forums the philosophy of "I understand electronics/physics and, therefore, what you say is rubbish" kills individuality and innovation.
Physics and math do have a large effect on what happens or is possible in a setup.
I could write (want, hope, dream, pray) that my 212s have the same bass performance as Komris, but both mechanics and gas laws just don't allow for that, even though the electronics say it just might be possible.
This is an extreme example, I know, but physics decide what is possible and what isn't. Wishful thinking, or individuality does not. It is of course good to keep an open mind, but not to the extend of changing facts for fiction.
Physics can be stretched; a bass reflex port, transmission line or the isobaric construction that Linn uses will increase bass performance even with small woofer sizes, but that only goes so far.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-03-22, 08:45 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-22 10:42 by spannko.)
(2018-03-22 07:37)Tin Wrote:  
(2018-03-22 00:12)donuk Wrote:  I also find that in most hifi forums the philosophy of "I understand electronics/physics and, therefore, what you say is rubbish" kills individuality and innovation.
Physics and math do have a large effect on what happens or is possible in a setup.
I could write (want, hope, dream, pray) that my 212s have the same bass performance as Komris, but both mechanics and gas laws just don't allow for that, even though the electronics say it just might be possible.
This is an extreme example, I know, but physics decide what is possible and what isn't. Wishful thinking, or individuality does not. It is of course good to keep an open mind, but not to the extend of changing facts for fiction.
Physics can be stretched; a bass reflex port, transmission line or the isobaric construction that Linn uses will increase bass performance even with small woofer sizes, but that only goes so far.

Ha ha. How ironic!

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)