Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Simple change of router - I don’t think!!

Simple change of router - I don’t think!!
2018-04-29, 14:29
RE: Simple change of router - I don’t think!!
(2018-04-27 17:52)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2018-04-27 09:07)JeffK Wrote:  A few days ago I did start to look at the market for a replacement NAS and I know that the Qnap and Synology ranges feature in the list of recommendations from Linn. I have also looked at the Western Digital MyCloud Duo option which includes a pre-loaded version of Twonky Media. I’m not hung up about Twonky Media but it has worked for me over the past 9 years even though it is, perhaps, rather basic and inflexible.

Are you able to comment on the Western Digital option as opposed to either a Qnap or Synology option. How about Twonky Media in comparison to Kazoo Server? What would be the benefits of choosing a Qnap or Synology solution with, say, Asset UpnP as the music server software?

NAS hardware has also moved on in the last 5 years; essentially, the NAS has become a bit more of a commodity. There are all sorts of ways in which a NAS can be used these days as a server accessible via the Internet, but I assume that's not what you are looking for. You want to store pictures and music.

Pictures are usually accessible either as a network share which your computer and other devices can use or via an app run from the user interface of your NAS; this is certainly true of the QNAP and Synology models. And most NAS models will offer a basic multimedia server such as Twonky or miniDLNA which will work in (by current standards) a fairly rudimentary way. But if you want to browse your music in different ways, or search the music for particular albums tracks or artists, you need a dedicated music server, the three I have already mentioned being the obvious choices.

In many ways, this choice of server determines your choice of NAS manufacturer. If you want to run Asset or KazooServer, you should choose a QNAP NAS. MinimServer supports a wider range of NAS models, but not, unfortunately, Western Digital. There is actually a long-running thread on the MinimServer forum about installing MinimServer on a WD My Cloud device; it appears to be possible (with some issues that have not yet been fully overcome), but it is not for the non-technical user.

If it were me (and a few months ago it was), I'd buy a one or two bay QNAP NAS, and install MinimServer on it as per the comprehensive instructions on the MinimServer website. MinimServer is free, but a donation is requested, which is reasonable. You also install the MinimWatch control program on your PC or Mac, to change settings, rescan your music library when you add new items, and check the MinimServer log for any errors (typically errors in music metadata) that need to be corrected. How deep tou get into the myriad of settings you can change is pretty much up to you. The program is (very) fully documented, which some people find daunting but I think is a godsend.

(2018-04-27 09:07)JeffK Wrote:  I have, hitherto, used the NAS for the storage of my music and photographs. On the advice of an IT person I’ve used Synctoy to back up these elements. To date, I’ve only had to use Syntoy to recover a few tracks of music when I accidentally deleted them from my NAS and so I’m about to find out whether all my music can be brought back from my backup disc now that the Buffalo is unserviceable.

I too use SyncToy (though most members here seem to use backup applications on the NAS itself). My approach is to keep my master library (that is the one where I do all the ripping, downloading and metadata editing) on the data drive of my PC. I then use 'Echo' tasks in SyncToy to make identical copies of my master database on my two NASs and backup drive, so I have four copies of my library. The copies on my NASs are used alternately for actually playing the music. In this way, I take care of backup routinely as part of my music workflow.

Why two NASs? My original NETGEAR NAS is now almost as old as your Buffalo, and has a drive that is beginning to fail, but it is still usable. I bought a QNAP single drive TS-131 as the replacement. When the Netgear finally fails, I shall probably replace it with another QNAP for redundancy. That way, hopefully, I shall always have immediate access to my music.

David

P.S. A quick clarification about Twonky. I described it as 'basic', which it is as installed in a typical consumer NAS. Earlier versions of Twonky, of which the version installed in your Buffalo NAS may be one, had the 'trees' feature which enabled you to define preferred browse sequences. Briain is the expert on this feature on this forum. MinimServer enables you to do what the 'trees' feature offers in a more flexible way, is easier (I believe) to configure and is better documented.

Thanks for your comprehensive response to my questions.

You are quite right in that the version of TwonkyMedia on the Buffalo did include the "tree" function.

The set up that you have adopted for the storage and management of your music collection seems very robust and sensible. As such, you have convinced me to follow a similar path.

Already, I have copied my music from the external back-up disc to my Desk-top PC so that I can adopt that as my "master copy". I've also been looking at the availability of the QNAP TS-131 NAS and a couple have come to my notice - one with a 1TB WD Red disc and the other with a 2TB WD Red disc.

My music collection occupies approximately 120GB on my Desk-top PC and so I reckon that, unless you suggest differently, the 1TB disc would be adequate for my present and future requirements bearing in mind that I don't tend to buy too much new music these days.

Perhaps you could indicate whether your QNAP has a disc from a different manufacturer or whether the WD Red is satisfactory.

Once I have the new NAS in place I plan on adopting MinimServer.

At this stage, I plan on keeping just 3 disc copies of my music - Desk-top PC, NAS and back-up disc.

Thanks for you help.

Jeff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-13, 21:00
As suggested in my last post on 27 April, I have now purchased and installed a QNAP TS-131P NAS to replace my defunct Buffalo Linkstation. When I say installed, I mean that it is up and running like a dream when connected to the Netgear DG834G modem router - just plugged it in, connected to the router followed the set-up instructions and there it was showing on the network. I’ve also installed MinimServer along with my music files and have been enjoying listening to my Akurate DS this past couple of evenings.

However, the original reason for this topic was the difficulty I was experiencing when attempting to connect the Buffalo NAS to a Netgear R7000v modem router. At this point I have succeeded in connecting the QNAP to the network via the R7000v but that’s as far as it goes! I’m now unable to access my music when using Kinsky on my iPad, Sometimes I will see the room and have access to internet radio but for the most part nothing shows in Kinsky.

I have followed a couple of steps suggested in the MinimServer support notes - disable and enable MinimServer and re-boot the NAS - but neither of these actions has helped.

I have now reconnected the DG834G and everything is just working as it should!

In the meantime, I have installed MinimWatch on my Toshiba Laptop but I’ve yet to get to grips with how this app works - need to do some further reading!

Any other suggestions?

Jeff
2018-05-13, 22:17 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-13 22:55 by DavidHB.)
I don't know how I managed to miss this post first time round. I'm going to answer some of your questions in case they are still relevant.

(2018-04-29 14:29)JeffK Wrote:  The set up that you have adopted for the storage and management of your music collection seems very robust and sensible. As such, you have convinced me to follow a similar path.

I hope that it works for you as well as it does for me.

(2018-04-29 14:29)JeffK Wrote:  Already, I have copied my music from the external back-up disc to my Desk-top PC so that I can adopt that as my "master copy". I've also been looking at the availability of the QNAP TS-131 NAS and a couple have come to my notice - one with a 1TB WD Red disc and the other with a 2TB WD Red disc.

My music collection occupies approximately 120GB on my Desk-top PC and so I reckon that, unless you suggest differently, the 1TB disc would be adequate for my present and future requirements bearing in mind that I don't tend to buy too much new music these days.

Perhaps you could indicate whether your QNAP has a disc from a different manufacturer or whether the WD Red is satisfactory.

The disks on both my NASs are WD Reds On the Netgear, I have 2 x 2TB, and on my TS-131 3TB. For the size of your music library, I guess that the 1TB drive is sufficient for you.

(2018-04-29 14:29)JeffK Wrote:  Once I have the new NAS in place I plan on adopting MinimServer.

I think that's a good move. Do post any queries (probably better on the MinimServer forum, as its author, simoncn, is particularly helpful).

(2018-04-29 14:29)JeffK Wrote:  At this stage, I plan on keeping just 3 disc copies of my music - Desk-top PC, NAS and back-up disc.

I agree that is sufficient (I have four copies only because I am using the two NASs). A number of people here would advise you to store the back-up off site, or at least somewhere it won't be damaged if the house burns down (such as a fireproof safe box).

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-13, 22:53
(2018-05-13 21:00)JeffK Wrote:  As suggested in my last post on 27 April, I have now purchased and installed a QNAP TS-131P NAS to replace my defunct Buffalo Linkstation. When I say installed, I mean that it is up and running like a dream when connected to the Netgear DG834G modem router - just plugged it in, connected to the router followed the set-up instructions and there it was showing on the network. ... At this point I have succeeded in connecting the QNAP to the network via the R7000v but that’s as far as it goes! I’m now unable to access my music when using Kinsky on my iPad, Sometimes I will see the room and have access to internet radio but for the most part nothing shows in Kinsky.

I have followed a couple of steps suggested in the MinimServer support notes - disable and enable MinimServer and re-boot the NAS - but neither of these actions has helped.

This has all the hallmarks of a badly configured router, or, just possibly, a faulty one. The R7000v is almost certainly blocking or severely inhibiting network discovery on some or all of your devices, with the wireless devices being the most likely candidates. The most likely problem is that multicast, used to advertise the presence of a device on the network, is being inhibited or throttled, to prevent devices from spamming the network, and that this is being done in an inept way with the side effects you are seeing.

The trouble is that routers have become so complex, and their manuals are now typically so badly written, that it tends to be a matter of pot luck whether you can find the setting you need to change, or whether indeed that setting exists at all. I doubt that it is worth wasting any more time and hassle on the R7000v. If it is still within its warranty period, you might want to return it to the vendor for a refund, because it is unfit for purpose. As you can make your system work with another Netgear modem, you ought to have a strong case.

(2018-05-13 21:00)JeffK Wrote:  I have now reconnected the DG834G and everything is just working as it should!

Frustrating as this may seem, this may be the long term solution as well. If the DG834G gives you the broadband internet speed your ISP is providing, there is actually no need to change it. If you need better Wifi coverage, a Wifi extender may be a better solution than a new router. And if you need faster Ethernet (which, as you move all that music data around, you probably do), you can always connect your router to a reasonable quality gigabit switch (such as the Netgear GS105 or GS108 unmanaged models), and use that as the central 'hub' of your network.

(2018-05-13 21:00)JeffK Wrote:  In the meantime, I have installed MinimWatch on my Toshiba Laptop but I’ve yet to get to grips with how this app works - need to do some further reading!

People are sometimes confused because MinimWatch does not seem to do anything except put a (usually green) icon in the system tray. Sometimes you don't even see the icon, because Windows decides to hide it and you have to dig into the taskbar settings to make it visible. MinimWatch comes to life when you right-click on this icon and open the various dialogs that are on offer. The two important ones are the log (where any error messages or warnings will be displayed) and Properties, which is where you change the MinimServer settings. That should be enough to get you started with the MinImServer Manual ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2018-05-15, 20:49
Thanks for your helpful responses.

I have taken your advice and returned the Netgear R7000v2 to Amazon for, hopefully, a full refund. I feel, somewhat, liberated now that it has left the building and I can devote my time to other matters. At this stage I will, as you have suggested, continue to use my trusty Netgear DG834G router. My only concern is that it does tend to run hot and so I will carry out some further research of the router market so that, in the event of a failure, I can quickly purchase a replacement. I had a discussion with my local Linn Dealer a few weeks back and he told me that his preferred routers come from the DrayTek stable and so I will take a look at these.

Thankfully, the QNAP TS-131P is proving to be a good purchase - I bought one with a 2TB disc by the way - and I’m well pleased with MinimServer and the improvements it brings when compared to Twonky Media. I just need to spend some time familiarising myself with what MinimServer and MinimWatch have to offer.

I’m hopeful that this episode can now be drawn to a close. Thanks for the help, advice and suggestions that have been provided through you, the Members of this Forum.

Jeff
2018-05-15, 21:09
I'm glad that the eventual conclusion was satisfactory. Please feel free to ask again if you need further help.

David