Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Roon DSP instead of SO?

Roon DSP instead of SO?
2018-05-16, 11:08
RE: Roon DSP instead of SO?
(2018-05-16 09:05)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  
(2018-05-15 21:07)BB1 Wrote:  MinimServer upscales 16 bit to 24 bit by appending 8 binary zeroes as the least significant byte to the 16 bit value. Instead of adding binary zeroes during the upscale process, the DS(M) uses dithering (i.e. it adds random digital noise).

A DS converts from 8 or 16 to 24-bit by inserting zeros in the least significant bits too.
Good to know, thank you.
I suppose you're increasing the bit rate too, do you multiply values or do you use aliasing to fill in the gaps? I can think of reasons for both scenarios (*) but I have no idea what would sound best, or if it is noticable at all.
*) or is there a third option I didn't think of.

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-16, 16:37
(2018-05-16 09:05)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  
(2018-05-15 21:07)BB1 Wrote:  MinimServer upscales 16 bit to 24 bit by appending 8 binary zeroes as the least significant byte to the 16 bit value. Instead of adding binary zeroes during the upscale process, the DS(M) uses dithering (i.e. it adds random digital noise).

A DS converts from 8 or 16 to 24-bit by inserting zeros in the least significant bits too.

Later: It is correct that there are other points where the DS uses dithering.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Simon.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2018-05-16, 17:12
Good to hear it from the "horse's mouth" so to speak.
2018-05-16, 23:00
(2018-05-15 22:46)DavidHB Wrote:  

This explains why a 16 bit file transcoded by MinimServer to 24 bit sounds different from the original ...

Thanks, BB. This explanation (of which I was not previously aware) makes more sense in the circumstances we have been discussing than a change in the noise floor, which is the only other explanation I have seen offered. But the MinimServer approach to transcoding does, I suppose, represent a noise reduction. Smile

Be that as it may, I marginally prefer the transcoded streams and will continue to use transcoding. Fortunately, it's a no cost option.

David

As it turned out, I've provided false information. I'm sorry for that. The fact that there is no difference in upscaling the bit depth between MinimServer and the DS raises more questions than it answers. Obviously my theory was wrong, so what's the root cause for the slightly different sound quality? The file format? Inserting the zeros on the server instead of the DS?

I also see a small "difference between a 16 bit FLAC file played natively on my system and the same file transcoded to 24 bit WAV by MinimServer", although I'm not able to provide an explanation based on hard physical facts anymore.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs