Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-18, 14:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Windows 7 with UPnP WMP12 streaming to DS - Fantastic!

Windows 7 with UPnP WMP12 streaming to DS - Fantastic!
2009-09-19, 19:30
Windows 7 with UPnP WMP12 streaming to DS - Fantastic!
Forget the complexity/user problems/shortcomings with all the various software for DS in Windows 7.

Win 7 has UPnP support incorporated into Windows Media Player 12. So easy to use, it's unbelievable. It actually feels absurd to have a PC playing proper high quality Hi-Fi looking at a WMP screen on a monitor, but true.

WMP, that naff program long associated with low quality 'music' playing on your PC pushing out FLAC to a DS in such an easy navigable manner. Astonishing.

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM Final Retail Version (MSDN). Screenshot below for anyone that hasn't already discovered this.    

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
6 prs Silvers - 2 x 4200/D - Keltiks.
Klimax units and 4200s in gorgeous BLACK Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-09-20, 05:26 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-20 05:30 by plug 65.)
RE: Windows 7 with UPnP WMP12 streaming to DS - Fantastic!
Imseti Wrote:Forget the complexity/user problems/shortcomings with all the various software for DS in Windows 7.

Win 7 has UPnP support incorporated into Windows Media Player 12. So easy to use, it's unbelievable. It actually feels absurd to have a PC playing proper high quality Hi-Fi looking at a WMP screen on a monitor, but true.

WMP, that naff program long associated with low quality 'music' playing on your PC pushing out FLAC to a DS in such an easy navigable manner. Astonishing.

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM Final Retail Version (MSDN). Screenshot below for anyone that hasn't already discovered this.

IMSETI

that is very interesting to know that flac files can now be played useing or via wmp if i understand you correctly? how much did the new program cost you?

PLUG 65
2009-09-20, 05:32 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-20 05:33 by Imseti.)
Hi Plug, which prog are you referring to?

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
2009-09-20, 05:55 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-20 06:18 by plug 65.)
Imseti Wrote:Hi Plug, which prog are you referring to?

IMSETI

i just googled it and students can get a discounted windows 7 version for $30,everybody else has to pay $120,the professional version costs $200. im not sure how many dollars to the £? i suppose it`s about £90 for the pro version. at the moment im useing the trial version of jriver media player 14 which i like very much and was going to purchase it,however i will postpone that for the moment and check out win7, thanks for the nod.

PLUG 65
EDIT:i did not initialy realize that windows 7 is the next move on from vista,so it is in fact a complete operating system due for release october 22nd.i shall bide my time and see how thing`s progress,it looks like it is still jriver for me at the moment.

PLUG 65
2009-09-20, 06:03
Plug, Windows 7 is an Operating System like Vista or XP. I wouldn't buy an OS if all you need to do is stream to a DS unless you were going to change your OS anyway.

2009-09-20, 09:59
Hi

As far as I'm aware WMP doesn't support Flac straight off, what download add-on did you use to enable flac support in wmp?

KDS(Dyn)-KK(Dyn) AV5103-KCT+2xKlouts-Chakra aktiv cards/tunebox-Aktive Kabers- 2 x B&W DB1 subs -Naim Fraim-Naim Headline2/Teddycap mk3- GS1000i
2009-09-20, 10:18 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-20 10:37 by Briain.)
Hi

Interesting stuff! The issue with all these toys which have UPnP functionality built into them is that they'll have the issues with gapless playback. It doesn't matter with albums comprising separate tunes (which have a silent gap between tracks anyway) but it's a key issue with the ones that don't. The obvious examples being things like house, dance & trance albums where they are DJ mixed such that the music is continuous, but there are also many more 'main-stream' albums also have tracks which flow from one to another without a break (an obvious example being Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here; Tracks 1-2 and then 3-4)

I don’t know if Linn could build a LPEC plug-in to overcome this problem? I guess that would depend on the 'openness' of WPM/Win7 (or more likely the lack of openness of WMP/Win7). If you’re going to have a PC switched on anyway, it could be argued that you’d be as well putting Asset UPnP on it and using Kinsky Desktop, but something like the WMA/Win7 solution would be useful if you’re only using a laptop.

For me, there’s no substitute to having a NAS (Linux/Twonky or WHS:\Asset UPnP) with a media server on it though; apart from being low power consumption and the music being instantly available, it also gives you the flexibility to use any of the control point options going forward. My hope is that Linn can sort out the KinskyPDA software (and someone can fix the artwork issues with Windows Mobile; that really spoils it) as it is still one of the more 'sensible' control solutions. I don’t want a laptop in the listening room, nor do I want to wait for one to boot up every time I want to play music. The PDA takes only a few seconds to fire up, it has no fan in it and it can be easily handed about (or even thrown about) at parties.

Anyone tried a WinCE web tabet yet? I believe they exist but not seen one yet. That could be another interesting platform for a control point.

I guess I also need to see one of these ipod touch things in operation. Trouble is, I'm way to old to own an ipod; I'd have the you know what taken out of me just for owning one! Big Grin
2009-09-20, 11:12
Briain Wrote:I guess I also need to see one of these ipod touch things in operation. Trouble is, I'm way to old to own an ipod; I'd have the you know what taken out of me just for owning one! Big Grin

Bri you really owe it to yourself to try out this touch-thingie...

Apart from needing refuelling quite often it actually does other things apart from controlling the DS. - and you don't have to tell anybody you got one..Wink, just don't post any questions in the troubleshooting-area in your own name, when you get one...Big Grin

Tom

5103 • ADS1 • 2xSoloD • 242's quinwired k600+k400 • silver ics
2009-09-20, 11:17
Presumably WMP12 will be available on other Windows OSes soon? Just wondering if Windows 7 is a necessity (though I'm looking to update from Vista at some point in the near future).

Rega RP6/Exact, Simaudio Moon 180D MiND, Devialet 170, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, Audiovector Zero speaker cable, Hutter Racktime.
2009-09-20, 11:57 (This post was last modified: 2009-09-20 11:58 by Briain.)
You could always try Windows XP, that's an update from Vista.

Big Grin