Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 22:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Paulssurround’s Simplified and Revised SPACE Optimisation Method, July 2018

Paulssurround’s Simplified and Revised SPACE Optimisation Method, July 2018
2018-07-18, 06:48
RE: Paulssurround’s Simplified and Revised SPACE Optimisation Method, July 2018
(2018-07-17 21:51)Db1328 Wrote:  The only thing i would say is......
thanks a lot Paul.

The cable-spaghetti tips and your Space Optimisation knowledge was so helpful.
My Akudoriks sound so fantastic, now.

You are a genius!

Great news!!!

I had a little help from some friends.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-18, 12:35
(2018-07-18 06:48)Paulssurround Wrote:  
thanks a lot Paul.

You are a genius!

Great news!!!

Which ones you have so many now

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Katalyst Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Katalyst Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2018-07-18, 17:38
(2018-07-18 12:35)nrwatson Wrote:  
(2018-07-18 06:48)Paulssurround Wrote:  
thanks a lot Paul.

You are a genius!

Great news!!!

Which ones you have so many now

What would you do if your Linn's out of tune?
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll tune you a song
I will try not to tune out of key Tongue

There are so many people to thank, but mostly it is all the Linn owners that let me try out my ideas on their Linn systems, including you NRWatson!!!

Every Linn system and Linn owners that I visited helped provide information and learning experiences that helped build on my accumulated knowledge and expertise

The incredible kindness, hospitality and generosity I have been shown as I traveled throughout Western Europe and North America provided invaluable life experiences and friendship.

From a technical point of view, my buddy Lou, Linnrd, Ramón, Timster and the Linn staff that helped develop Space optimisation. were extremely helpful.

A special thanks to the local guys in the Vancouver area that allowed me to work on their Linn systems many many times, including Alangaard, PDW, Ropedrag, Finster and Van604. Not to forget my former Linn dealer, HiFi Centre, and current Linn dealer Sound Room.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Yesterday, 15:59
FYI and out of interest Paul, the Timster tweak as you so kindly call it, may well be false, at least for bunged 140s and perhaps for other non-ported speakers.
As you may be aware, since your visit last year I have bunged my 140s (due to their less than ideal placement). Among other things as a consequence, I reinstated the mode 2 filter at 54.86Hz (BW as calculated, and cut practically halved to -13.08 from -26.49).
Since then I have also changed from Majik to Akurate Exaktbox - all is as you did (apart from mode 2) and she sings Smile

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Yesterday, 16:06
(Yesterday 15:59)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  FYI and out of interest Paul, the Timster tweak as you so kindly call it, may well be false, at least for bunged 140s and perhaps for other non-ported speakers.
As you may be aware, since your visit last year I have bunged my 140s (due to their less than ideal placement). Among other things as a consequence, I reinstated the mode 2 filter at 54.86Hz (BW as calculated, and cut practically halved to -13.08 from -26.49).
Since then I have also changed from Majik to Akurate Exaktbox - all is as you did (apart from mode 2) and she sings Smile

Thanks Timster,

In some cases, it works well to eliminate the room mode at around 55 Hz by changing the gain to 0.00, but more often than not, I am keeping it, but with a significant increase in gain.

For example, if the calculated room mode was a gain of -20.00, I may end up with a gain of around -6.00. Otherwise, it takes too much out of the music.

Great to see you have made the upgrades to your Linn system. It must sound fantasical. Tongue

Cheers
Paul

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Yesterday, 16:17
(Yesterday 16:06)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(Yesterday 15:59)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  FYI and out of interest Paul, the Timster tweak as you so kindly call it, may well be false, at least for bunged 140s and perhaps for other non-ported speakers.

Thanks Timster,

In some cases, it works well to eliminate the room mode at around 55 Hz by changing the gain to 0.00, but more often than not, I am keeping it, but with a significant increase in gain.

For example, if the calculated room mode was a gain of -20.00, I may end up with a gain of around -6.00. Otherwise, it takes too much out of the music.

Great to see you have made the upgrades to your Linn system. It must sound fantasical. Tongue

Cheers
Paul

That's an understatement Wink I'm beginning to wonder if I was sold a Katalysed one by mistake, it's so good. Joyful.
If not, could Kat really be that much better?

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Yesterday, 16:27
(Yesterday 16:17)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  
(Yesterday 16:06)Paulssurround Wrote:  

Thanks Timster,

Cheers
Paul

That's an understatement Wink I'm beginning to wonder if I was sold a Katalysed one by mistake, it's so good. Joyful.
If not, could Kat really be that much better?

Yes, Katalyst is that good!!!

Fortunately, our ears adjust instantly to the Katalyst upgrade improvements, and you will be able to hear your Linn transform from fantastical to fantasticaler. Big Grin

That said, you are already enjoying your music immensely, and that is a great thing indeed.

Exakt Surround 5.0: