Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 02:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / when fitting a keel

when fitting a keel
2018-08-12, 15:14
RE: when fitting a keel
(2018-08-11 23:21)ricsimas Wrote:  Hardly. I’ve built my fair share of them over the years. However, it’s a full rebuild, so it cannot possibly be the same setup. A Keel is not a “drop-in” part.

To be clear. One must defend oneselfWink. I do not think it is necessary to take off the topplate when fitting a keel. A proper inspection of the plinth(not warped etc) and thorough inspection of the topplate (no rattle/is it completely snug with the plinth etc.). If so i think it is ludicrous(your vocabulaire) to take it off and then have a fight with it to put it right back in again. And for your information to put the keel in took, indeed a few hours but the complete set-up with all adjustments/torques/bounce etc. took two calm days. And a lot of experience how a lp12 should sound. And without pre-assumtions like you seem to have. Don''t make it more than it is, it scares people off.

Thanks,

Anyway i''m not here to fight i want to share experiences and knowledge. Maybe thats why i almost never write my findings here, because there is always someone who thinks he (snobishly) knows it better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-12, 15:28
Don't worry Theo. There are many of us around the world that have to fettle our own LP12's. The more you do it the better you get at it. There are no dealers around the corner. As long as you are not ham-fisted & have ears there is no reason whatsoever that you can't get it right. We DIY'ers might take a little longer than a good dealer but that's fine.
2018-08-12, 15:36
(2018-08-12 15:28)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Don't worry Theo. There are many of us around the world that have to fettle our own LP12's. The more you do it the better you get at it. There are no dealers around the corner. As long as you are not ham-fisted & have ears there is no reason whatsoever that you can't get it right. We DIY'ers might take a little longer than a good dealer but that's fine.

+1

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-08-12, 17:38 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 17:45 by ricsimas.)
(2018-08-12 15:14)TheoG Wrote:  To be clear. One must defend oneselfWink. I do not think it is necessary to take off the topplate when fitting a keel. A proper inspection of the plinth(not warped etc) and thorough inspection of the topplate (no rattle/is it completely snug with the plinth etc.). If so i think it is ludicrous(your vocabulaire) to take it off and then have a fight with it to put it right back in again. And for your information to put the keel in took, indeed a few hours but the complete set-up with all adjustments/torques/bounce etc. took two calm days. And a lot of experience how a lp12 should sound. And without pre-assumtions like you seem to have. Don''t make it more than it is, it scares people off.

Thanks,

Anyway i''m not here to fight i want to share experiences and knowledge. Maybe thats why i almost never write my findings here, because there is always someone who thinks he (snobishly) knows it better.
You are seeing malice where there isn't any, plus also getting defensive (and aggressive) pretty quickly.

I agree with you that one doesn't need to refit the top plate, assuming it was done right in the first place. Other than that, everything else will end up getting refitted, though - that was my only point. There is a lot that will change in the setup when you do it (note the choice of will, not may: the springs will not end up in the same spot, for example, plus things just generally behave differently with the Keel). As such, it quite literally cannot be the same setup. I thought that was a funny choice of words given what is involved, that's all.

It may be a great setup, perhaps even the best ever done by a human being to an LP12 for all I know - it just won't be the *same* setup. ;-)

Maybe "ludicrous" came across as aggressive when no intention was there (I'm also not a native speaker, BTW), but your choice of aggressive words was very deliberate. Think about that.

Signed,
someone that has lived most of his life in a country where there are no Linn dealers and have had to largely maintain the deck himself (though I still prefer having Peter S do it).
2018-08-13, 11:14
(2018-08-12 17:38)ricsimas Wrote:  
(2018-08-12 15:14)TheoG Wrote:  To be clear. One must defend oneselfWink. I do not think it is necessary to take off the topplate when fitting a keel. A proper inspection of the plinth(not warped etc) and thorough inspection of the topplate (no rattle/is it completely snug with the plinth etc.). If so i think it is ludicrous(your vocabulaire) to take it off and then have a fight with it to put it right back in again. And for your information to put the keel in took, indeed a few hours but the complete set-up with all adjustments/torques/bounce etc. took two calm days. And a lot of experience how a lp12 should sound. And without pre-assumtions like you seem to have. Don''t make it more than it is, it scares people off.

Thanks,

You are seeing malice where there isn't any, plus also getting defensive (and aggressive) pretty quickly.

I agree with you that one doesn't need to refit the top plate, assuming it was done right in the first place. Other than that, everything else will end up getting refitted, though - that was my only point. There is a lot that will change in the setup when you do it (note the choice of will, not may: the springs will not end up in the same spot, for example, plus things just generally behave differently with the Keel). As such, it quite literally cannot be the same setup. I thought that was a funny choice of words given what is involved, that's all.

It may be a great setup, perhaps even the best ever done by a human being to an LP12 for all I know - it just won't be the *same* setup. ;-)

Maybe "ludicrous" came across as aggressive when no intention was there (I'm also not a native speaker, BTW), but your choice of aggressive words was very deliberate. Think about that.

Signed,
someone that has lived most of his life in a country where there are no Linn dealers and have had to largely maintain the deck himself (though I still prefer having Peter S do it).

Ah, let us forget about it, and enjoy our lp12s. In written words, a lot of things look indeed agressive. Good luck!