Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-14, 18:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / Looking For Innovative Ways To Store and Access My Music and Other Media?

Looking For Innovative Ways To Store and Access My Music and Other Media?
2018-08-11, 01:42
RE: Looking For Innovative Ways To Store and Access My Music and Other Media?
Lots of people living in Montreal don't speak much French particularly in the west.
Almost everyone speaks pretty good English. I think it's the coolest city in North America. I practically lived there when I was going to law school and afterwards.

But when you get to rural Quebec they don't bother to teach English. What a lousy trick to play on a kid in the name of nationalism. They can't communicate with the outside world and are stuck in these small towns some of which are truly dismal. It's even hard to get by in Montreal without English.

They speak pretty good straight English in Quebec City. In Montreal it's mixed with "franglish" slang.

Best,

John Hirsch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-11, 07:11
(2018-08-11 01:42)John Hirsch Wrote:  Lots of people living in Montreal don't speak much French particularly in the west.
Almost everyone speaks pretty good English. I think it's the coolest city in North America. I practically lived there when I was going to law school and afterwards.

But when you get to rural Quebec they don't bother to teach English. What a lousy trick to play on a kid in the name of nationalism. They can't communicate with the outside world and are stuck in these small towns some of which are truly dismal. It's even hard to get by in Montreal without English.

They speak pretty good straight English in Quebec City. In Montreal it's mixed with "franglish" slang.

Best,

John Hirsch

I was in Montreal and Québec City on separate trips, a long time ago.

Back then, people in Montreal were downright hostile, unless you spoke Franglish.

People in Québec City were super friendly and happily spoke English.

I didn’t ask them if they had any suggestions on how to store CD’s, DVD’s and other media. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-08-11, 07:47
My brother in law lives in Montreal and I visited last year, first time for many years.

Up to that recent visit, you would struggle if you didn’t speak French (I do speak a little French). This latest visit I found the situation very different. Before every store or restaurant would start speaking in French and most would only speak French. Now many start in English and most will switch when they realise your French isn't good.
I think there were only one or two occasions when I really had to exercise my schoolboy French.

However - the climate in Vancouver is better and less extreme than Montreal +30c to -30c

Now to get back on track, go on a very strict diet - clear out the food cupboards and fridge - lots of storage Big Grin
2018-08-11, 10:54
Something along the lines of...
https://trucks.autotrader.co.uk/search/a...ney=Search

Probably cheaper even than one of your power conditioners Smile

Bit of a trek to get the disc but the exercise will be good for you!

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
2018-08-11, 16:23
(2018-08-11 07:47)peter@57m Wrote:  My brother in law lives in Montreal and I visited last year, first time for many years.

Up to that recent visit, you would struggle if you didn’t speak French (I do speak a little French). This latest visit I found the situation very different. Before every store or restaurant would start speaking in French and most would only speak French. Now many start in English and most will switch when they realise your French isn't good.
I think there were only one or two occasions when I really had to exercise my schoolboy French.

However - the climate in Vancouver is better and less extreme than Montreal +30c to -30c

Now to get back on track, go on a very strict diet - clear out the food cupboards and fridge - lots of storage Big Grin

You are quite right about the climate in Montreal compared to Vancouver. I would find the climate too extreme in Montreal, and I don’t know anyone there at the moment. Leonard Cohen and William Shatner both moved to Los Angeles.

I guess that leaves me going on an extreme diet and claiming back my food cupboard space for Music storage.

Peter, your ideas are brilliant. Tongue

(2018-08-11 10:54)phino Wrote:  Something along the lines of...
https://trucks.autotrader.co.uk/search/a...ney=Search

Probably cheaper even than one of your power conditioners Smile

Bit of a trek to get the disc but the exercise will be good for you!

I like your idea of buying a lorry to store my music.

If I could ask a wee favour?

If I buy the lorry in the AutoTrader, do you mind driving it over my way from Wales to Vancouver? Rolleyes

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-08-11, 17:03 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 17:07 by Grith.)
I have one coffee table that´s look like a coffin for my cd´s Smile