Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-14, 18:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy v / New Majik or ex dem Akurate

New Majik or ex dem Akurate
2018-08-09, 19:16
New Majik or ex dem Akurate
Dear fellow Linnies,

Soon I will have finished turning the attic into a gaming/listening room.
The idea is that my current MDSi (2010) will move to the attic and buy something else for the living (main listening) room.

Now I am doubting whether I should go for: New Majik DS combined with Majik 2100 or Ex-demo 2015, Linn Akurate DSM + Akurate 2200.
As far as I know there have been no changes made on the Majik hardware since 2010 so upgrading to the Akurate level should be quite an improvement.

The Majik is about 2/3 of the price compared to the Akurate so there would have some money left to purchase better speaker cable, interlink, network cable etc. I have also considered to keep the Majik where it is, buy a Sekrit DSM to bi-Amp the Tannoys.

My speakers in the main room are Naim Ovator S400 and Tannoy Sixes 603 in the attic.
I am looking how to maximize sound quality for the same amount of money but not sure how to achieve.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

minimallinnie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-09, 19:48
RE: New Majik or ex dem Akurate
(2018-08-09 19:16)michel-rose Wrote:  Dear fellow Linnies,

Soon I will have finished turning the attic into a gaming/listening room.
The idea is that my current MDSi (2010) will move to the attic and buy something else for the living (main listening) room.

Now I am doubting whether I should go for: New Majik DS combined with Majik 2100 or Ex-demo 2015, Linn Akurate DSM + Akurate 2200.
As far as I know there have been no changes made on the Majik hardware since 2010 so upgrading to the Akurate level should be quite an improvement.

The Majik is about 2/3 of the price compared to the Akurate so there would have some money left to purchase better speaker cable, interlink, network cable etc. I have also considered to keep the Majik where it is, buy a Sekrit DSM to bi-Amp the Tannoys.

My speakers in the main room are Naim Ovator S400 and Tannoy Sixes 603 in the attic.
I am looking how to maximize sound quality for the same amount of money but not sure how to achieve.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

The Akurate sounds like a relative bargain - though I've not looked at prices or done sums. Did you mean Akurate Ds or DSM though? Either way, the Akurate would have the advantage of being upgradeable to Katalyst whilst a Majik has limited options for upgrades.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
2018-08-09, 21:48
Not compared so can't comment on what's best, but there were 5 versions last time I looked:
1. MDSi (no HDMI)
2. MDSM (same as 1, just re-badged)
3. MDSM +HDMI
4. MDSM +Exakt links and improved clocking/circuit layout
5. MDSM +HDMI 2.0

Ref Nr 4, see:
http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2015/03/ever...r-home.php
2018-08-10, 09:48
The step from Majik DS to Akurate DS is quite significant and I'd go for the latter. Same is true for the 2200 amplified, more controlled and refined than the internal amp of your current MDSI. Afaik the Ovators are power hungry and the 2200 offers substantially more power and control.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2018-08-10, 11:06
(2018-08-10 09:48)mcgillroy Wrote:  The step from Majik DS to Akurate DS is quite significant and I'd go for the latter. Same is true for the 2200 amplified, more controlled and refined than the internal amp of your current MDSI. Afaik the Ovators are power hungry and the 2200 offers substantially more power and control.

Absolutely agree with all the above, McG.

The 2200 is a much superior beast compared to the MDSM internal or 2210 power amps. And not just in sheer power output - although that is very welcome when driving "power-hungry" speakers!

Extremely happy with mine at home, driving passive 242s.

Chris.
2018-08-10, 12:45
(2018-08-09 21:48)charlie1 Wrote:  Not compared so can't comment on what's best, but there were 5 versions last time I looked:
1. MDSi (no HDMI)
2. MDSM (same as 1, just re-badged)
3. MDSM +HDMI
4. MDSM +Exakt links and improved clocking/circuit layout
5. MDSM +HDMI 2.0

Ref Nr 4, see:
http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2015/03/ever...r-home.php

Hi Charlie1
Thanks for the feedback, I am currently checking with the dealer if the Akurate has the new clock architecture and circuitry layout. If not than the differences will be smaller.
Based on other feedback I would lean towards Akurate although still 1/3 more expensive... choices, choices

KR Michel

minimallinnie
2018-08-10, 13:55
Hi

I used to use a MDSI for [S/PDIF connected] AV sound. The MDSI fed into my KK preamp and I used a KDS/1 for music (also feeding into the KK preamp, of course). One day, a friend visited and asked to hear the MDSI vs the KDS/1 when streaming music. I'd never compared them - the MDSI was just for TV sound, so there was little point in comparing them - and we were both surprised to hear that whilst the MDSI sounded fine on simple material (surprisingly good, in fact) when things all got going, it slightly lost the plot, with some of the percussion being lost in the mix. Soon after that, I decided to get an ADSM for the TV sound - which was a bit of a gamble as I didn't know if TV sound was good enough to justify the spend, but it turned out that it was - and when I used the same tune to compare the ADSM to the KDS/1, the KDS/1 was better, but the ADSM did not lose the plot in the same way the MDSI did; you could hear all of the percussion, no matter how complex the music was.

I believe the more recent MDSI (as in the latest MDSM) is a lot better than the original MDSI, but that's based on what I have read, not what I have heard (I haven't heard the two together) but I would expect it's still significantly below the standard of an ADSM, so that is the route I'd advise you take.

As to the power amplifiers, I have never been particularly impressed with the x100 range and when you hear a system with a x100 (e.g. a 2100) then the same system fed by a 2200, the sound stage expands in size (it fills the room, if you like) then when you go back to the x100 type amplifiers, it all shrinks back down to a small sounding event happening between the speakers (and with less weight to it all). Don't get me wrong, it is a very pleasant and very detailed 'small sound', but once you've heard the 'big sound' of the x200 fed system, it would be difficult to be happy with the x100 setup.

Of course, not everyone will agree with me and it's worth noting that I rather like systems that have a 'big sound' to them (thus me having 350As and a sub) so despite how great a system might sound, if it's in any way 'compromised' in its enormity, it's just not the sound for me.

So, my vote would be the used ADSM and 2200 and of course, should you ever in future wish to enhance it, the Katalyst upgrade for the ADSM is an utterly stunning one (and though not cheap, it's not a stratospherically unaffordable one; most upgrades of that magnitude typically are stratospherically unaffordable) so that is another thing to consider (though I do not know how long that upgrade path will exist, though I'd expect it will possibly be available for as long as the ADSM is current). I've heard rumours that DS to DSM conversions might not be around that long, but I don't know about DSM to DSM Katalyst upgrades.

Happy listening!
Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)