Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-24, 23:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Linn DS as PC soundcard

Linn DS as PC soundcard
2009-09-30, 11:00
Linn DS as PC soundcard
Hello,

I'm searching a way to redirect all sound from my PC to my Linn Majik DS. For example sound from youtube, Deezer, Jiwa... without decoding recoding with the PC DAC. Imagine a virtual sound card as upnp media server...

It could be fantastic because use directly the Linn DS DAC could be possible...Smile

Thank you for help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-09-30, 11:52
RE: Linn DS as PC soundcard
(2009-09-30 11:00)Vinshe Wrote:  I'm searching a way to redirect all sound from my PC to my Linn Majik DS. For example sound from youtube, Deezer, Jiwa... without decoding recoding with the PC DAC. Imagine a virtual sound card as upnp media server...

Catwalk Radio (http://getcatwalk.net/radio/) is designed to do this.

I use Catwalk Radio to listen to BBC iPlayer on my DS. The audio is streamed directly from my Laptop to both my DS in my lounge and my Roku Soundbridge in the kitchen.

Catwalk Radio also works for listening to Spotify without any lossy re-encoding, (which someone else requested elsewhere on this forum.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2009-10-01, 03:35
Coool

Have you noticed any delay with this technique?

I just wondring if this could be used to watch movies from your computer with DS sound, or could be used to play software synths.
2009-10-01, 08:21
Hello,

Thank you for this issue. I know Catwalk and this way is good. But I'm searching a dsbridge not only for Itunes or Spotify but for windows ...

For example jiwa deezer or youtube, any sound in windows...

For movie I can stream sound and video in two stream from vlc. The sound to my Linn DS and the the video to my pc center, the two streams are perfectly synchronised.

I'm searching a way to push directly any sound to linn DS without run a home stream radio. Just one operation...Rolleyes
2009-10-01, 09:28
AFAIK the DS likes to keep a 2 second buffer, so any audio would be delayed by that amount (when the buffer in the DS drops below 2 seconds the DS will slience fade to prevent any speaker pops).

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com
2009-10-01, 12:08
(2009-10-01 08:21)Vinshe Wrote:  Hello,

Thank you for this issue. I know Catwalk and this way is good. But I'm searching a dsbridge not only for Itunes or Spotify but for windows ...

For movie I can stream sound and video in two stream from vlc. The sound to my Linn DS and the the video to my pc center, the two streams are perfectly synchronised.

I'm searching a way to push directly any sound to linn DS without run a home stream radio. Just one operation...Rolleyes

Did you need a UPNP plugin for VLC ?

Marek
2009-10-01, 12:29
A couple of us have tried Jamcast here. It's a windows UPNP media server but also has a virtual soundcard option that works really well in Vista (not quite so well in XP). In Kinksky desktop it appears as another media server and you should find a playlist called Virtual Soundcard. Last time I checked it was a free beta at http://www.sdstechnologies.com/ There's still the odd bug but it worked farily well for me.

It's more designed for streaming stuff to an Xbox 360 or PS3 but we've had some success with it. The guy who designed it also does a good job of replying to any forum posts (on his website) if there are any problems.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2009-10-01, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 2009-10-01 16:24 by Vinshe.)
(2009-10-01 12:08)Marek-F Wrote:  
(2009-10-01 08:21)Vinshe Wrote:  Hello,

Did you need a UPNP plugin for VLC ?

Marek

No plugin needing just an MRL command line:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=320,channels=2}:duplic​ate{dst-video=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8080},dst-audio=std{access=http,mux=wav,dst=:8081}}}

The sound will be stream on port 8081 to Linn DS (with a playlist) and the video on the port 8080 to another vlc.

The sound and the video will be synchronised with 1200ms buffer
(2009-10-01 12:29)chrism Wrote:  A couple of us have tried Jamcast here. It's a windows UPNP media server but also has a virtual soundcard option that works really well in Vista (not quite so well in XP). In Kinksky desktop it appears as another media server and you should find a playlist called Virtual Soundcard. Last time I checked it was a free beta at http://www.sdstechnologies.com/ There's still the odd bug but it worked farily well for me.

It's more designed for streaming stuff to an Xbox 360 or PS3 but we've had some success with it. The guy who designed it also does a good job of replying to any forum posts (on his website) if there are any problems.

Ok, it's very nice, I will test it ! Thank you.
2009-10-01, 16:54
(2009-10-01 16:22)Vinshe Wrote:  No plugin needing just an MRL command line:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=320,channels=2}:duplic​ate{dst-video=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8080},dst-audio=std{access=http,mux=wav,dst=:8081}}}

The sound will be stream on port 8081 to Linn DS (with a playlist) and the video on the port 8080 to another vlc.

The sound and the video will be synchronised with 1200ms buffer

Would it be possible to use this method to stream video and audio from my
macbook to a DS and a PS3? Where do you put the "MRL command line"?
(this is way out of my league)

Cheers
2009-10-02, 10:25 (This post was last modified: 2009-10-02 10:27 by MisterEd.)
(2009-10-01 12:29)chrism Wrote:  A couple of us have tried Jamcast here. It's a windows UPNP media server but also has a virtual soundcard option that works really well in Vista (not quite so well in XP). In Kinksky desktop it appears as another media server and you should find a playlist called Virtual Soundcard. Last time I checked it was a free beta at http://www.sdstechnologies.com/ There's still the odd bug but it worked farily well for me.

This sounds interesting Smile I've installed it but am having a little trouble getting it to work properly... When I select the virtual sound card and try and play it KinskyDesktop seems to look as though it gets stuck in a loop trying to connect to something (pic attached).

I've posted on the jamcast forum but just wondered if you might know anything given my linn based setup... firewall? ports? etc etc

any help appreciated, thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Renew DS -Klimax Kontrol (not upgraded) - klimax Chakra Twin - Ninkas + upgraded bases - Silver Interconnects

Renew DS through Knekt driver - Roomamp - sweetspots

QNAP TS-209 Pro II

(ADS/1 is now homeless)