Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-22, 15:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / 24bit Apple Lossless supported?

24bit Apple Lossless supported?
2009-11-08, 13:36
24bit Apple Lossless supported?
Linn team,

I am not able to play 24/96k downloads from Linnrecords site as apple lossless.

They work ok on FLAC files in Kinsky under Parallels on the Mac.

Is this a known limitation or is there some setting I need to adjust?

Thanks very much. (Currently home demoing Majik DS).

BTW, 24bit sound is sensational.

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-11-08, 14:44
RE: 24bit Apple Lossless supported?
Hi Mark

Can't comment on anything Kinsky being on a Mac, but I would guess the playback of alac converted from flac depends on the way and with what software you've converted the files...

Cheers
Tom

5103 • ADS1 • 2xSoloD • 242's quinwired k600+k400 • silver ics
2009-11-08, 14:49
(2009-11-08 14:44)TomBK Wrote:  Hi Mark

Can't comment on anything Kinsky being on a Mac, but I would guess the playback of alac converted from flac depends on the way and with what software you've converted the files...

Cheers
Tom

Tom, I used Max to convert the FLAC and if the ALAC is loaded into itunes, it shows up as 24 bit ... so I guess the issue is with Kinsky (I use it under Parallels emulator as I cant find Mac software that works for me yet), but hopefully a Linn engineer can advise.

Mark
2009-11-08, 14:58 (This post was last modified: 2009-11-08 15:00 by TomBK.)
(2009-11-08 14:49)mmbds32 Wrote:  

Cheers
Tom

Tom, I used Max to convert the FLAC and if the ALAC is loaded into itunes, it shows up as 24 bit ... so I guess the issue is with Kinsky (I use it under Parallels emulator as I cant find Mac software that works for me yet), but hopefully a Linn engineer can advise.

Mark

Hi Mark

Have a look at this: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...9#pid44189

You can get SqueezeBox server and SqueezePlay together with SkweezyDS to make the DS play on the Mac, and it's free. If you want to control it from an iPone/touch you can buy iPeng on the App Store.

I got the Squeezy thing to work just the other day: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...3#pid44593

I think this would be a safer way to use your Mac than Kinsky(an awful lot of Kinsky stuff in the troubleshooting and Develpment Forums).

Tom

2009-11-08, 16:26
(2009-11-08 14:58)TomBK Wrote:  
(2009-11-08 14:49)mmbds32 Wrote:  

Cheers
Tom

Mark

Hi Mark

Have a look at this: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...9#pid44189

You can get SqueezeBox server and SqueezePlay together with SkweezyDS to make the DS play on the Mac, and it's free. If you want to control it from an iPone/touch you can buy iPeng on the App Store.

I got the Squeezy thing to work just the other day: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...3#pid44593

I think this would be a safer way to use your Mac than Kinsky(an awful lot of Kinsky stuff in the troubleshooting and Develpment Forums).

Tom

Tom, I managed to get songbook mac working so I'l stick with it and keep the FLAC files for Kinsky on PC till I can find a better solution. I can't spend this amount of time and effort researching and fixing what should have been delivered as an out of box solution for all systems, however good the sound is!

Thanks, Mark.
2009-11-08, 21:34 (This post was last modified: 2009-11-08 21:43 by TomBK.)
(2009-11-08 16:26)mmbds32 Wrote:  I can't spend this amount of time and effort researching and fixing what should have been delivered as an out of box solution for all systems, however good the sound is!

Mark, I'm with you every inch of the way...

When I bought my ADS it came with Kinsky 1.4.1(Bute) for Mac. It was very basic but made the ADS play music. Now, many months and Cara updates later there still isn't a stable version of Kinsky ready for the Macs. I'm just silently accepting this but you're right - keeping my system up and running does take considerably longer time fiddling with other things than just enjoying the music...It seems that having a wide array of servers and controlpoints reduces the risk of prolonged downtime...geez, one should think we were discussing serious company stuff here...Rolleyes

Cheers
Tom

2009-11-08, 23:59
(2009-11-08 13:36)mmbds32 Wrote:  I am not able to play 24/96k downloads from Linnrecords site as apple lossless.

24-bit Apple Lossless (ALAC) files cannot be played back on the DS. This is due to a limitation imposed by the ALAC decoder which the DS uses.
2009-11-09, 00:20
(2009-11-08 23:59)rockfather Wrote:  
(2009-11-08 13:36)mmbds32 Wrote:  I am not able to play 24/96k downloads from Linnrecords site as apple lossless.

24-bit Apple Lossless (ALAC) files cannot be played back on the DS. This is due to a limitation imposed by the ALAC decoder which the DS uses.

Thanks for letting me know, i'll use FLAC instead, (either parallels on Mac or get a netbook like Dell or Samsung to run Kinsky which I have to admit, I quite like).

This was not what I had wanted to do but I 've had a busy day trying to get the Mac stable for playback and have only 1 left before I return the MDS Sad