Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-02, 07:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Linn LK140 vs Majik 2100 Power?

Linn LK140 vs Majik 2100 Power?
2009-12-12, 17:16
Linn LK140 vs Majik 2100 Power?
Hi Everyone

Just a quick question - wondered whether anyone out there has moved from LK140 to Majik 2100? If so was it a worthwhile step up / down / sideways?

I've got my Classik K running thru the LK140 and am really pleased with the sound. But you know, once you get the upgrade bug....

I realise they are amps from different eras and have read people say that the newer amps are different sounding to the older stuff, hence the question.

Any views / input would be highly appreciated as always.

Many thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2009-12-12, 17:54
RE: Linn LK140 vs Majik 2100 Power?
On paper the LK140 is more powerful.
I went from 2 x LK140 to M6100, so gained an extra 2 channels for my Kabers, but it was a good step up, though I will never know for sure if this was down to the fact I was tri-amping my Kabers over merely bi-amping them.

The sound was less warm, but in a good way - the spaces between notes was more defined. Seemed more controlled, drier and more of an academic presentation.
The LK140 is still a good amp, and given your system, improving the source may give you better results overall for your money.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2009-12-12, 20:25
agreed with the above! the 2100 is the better of the two but you would get way better results from changing the source and pre amp.

If you wish to stick with cd then get a used ikemi and a kairn, another option here is the unidisk sc but I preffer the ikemi/kairn.

If you fancy the ds route then depending on budget the sneakey ds is very good and the majik ds better still, both will do the volume control!
2009-12-12, 20:27
But I love the radio...?!
2009-12-13, 12:38
This is my dillema

Im using my Ikemi/Kolektor/2 x LK140 and my dealer wants me to go the majik route as an upgrade but Im not convinced Im going to be happy. I can hear the difference but without a few weeks of listening Im just not sure this is the correct upgrade path...
2009-12-13, 17:55
(2009-12-13 12:38)Danny Wrote:  This is my dillema

Im using my Ikemi/Kolektor/2 x LK140 and my dealer wants me to go the majik route as an upgrade but Im not convinced Im going to be happy. I can hear the difference but without a few weeks of listening Im just not sure this is the correct upgrade path...

Don't know your speakers but the weak link in your system is surely the Kolektor. Unless your dealer is giving you a fantastic deal on your lk140s for the Majik (what is it, the M4100?) then I would guess a Kairn or 5103 would give you loads more musical enjoyment.

Needless to say, with 2 amps, moving to a Linn speaker would allow activ use, if it was an older model - but given the system as it is, the pre-amp would be my choice of upgrade - and would give you more long term satisfaction for when you upgrade the power amps later on. Pick up a s/h late Kairn for less than £500, sell your Kolector for circa £250/300 and it's a cheap upgrade.

Worth investigating, but not that many dealers will have a s/h Kairn to try.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2009-12-13, 19:21
(2009-12-13 17:55)rob29 Wrote:  Don't know your speakers but the weak link in your system is surely the Kolektor. Unless your dealer is giving you a fantastic deal on your lk140s for the Majik (what is it, the M4100?) then I would guess a Kairn or 5103 would give you loads more musical enjoyment.

Your right, its an odd situation that occurred due to my upgrade path (mainly waiting for nice examples of used equipment to arrive at the dealers). Lots of Kairns keep appearing at reasonable prices on ebay (Im watching a couple at the moment but they look from the pics like they have been through world war 3) but I'm torn at the moment between spending some cash on a new Kikkin or (less attractive) slowly (but surely) entering the 21st century and trying the newer Linn equipment (I know its probably the weakest argument on earth but I just love old skool blackbox Linn).
2009-12-13, 20:27 (This post was last modified: 2009-12-13 20:33 by charlie1.)
(2009-12-13 19:21)Danny Wrote:  ...but I just love old skool blackbox Linn).

Me too! I also have a kolektor in black but Linto/Lingo in silver. The Kolektor looks and feels very solid and has a timeless quality which I really like. They don't look so cool in silver though. Only Klimax gear looks great in silver to me (speaking of Linn kit only here).

Kikkin is amazing value provided you can live with a single input. You'd notice a big difference. Kikkin is very musical and sounds much more natural than the Kolektor which always strikes me as being a bit aftificial and fatuiging after a short while.

BTW Dynamik in a 2100 makes a big difference, if you do go down that route.