Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-24, 08:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Forum and Web v / "Mark all forums read" not working?

"Mark all forums read" not working?
2008-04-25, 09:03
"Mark all forums read" not working?
The "Mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the home page doesn't appear to be working. When I click it, and then go into the "View Today's Posts" page, a lot of posts are still marked as new. This happens even if I leave the site and come back later.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-04-25, 09:38
RE: "Mark all forums read" not working?
have you tried clearing your cache out.

there is a related issue though so it may be a problem; if you click view new posts you get posts even if you have visited them before, its as if the site isn't managing the cookies correctly or it could be down to security at the users end not allowing those cookies through.
2008-04-25, 10:08
The thing is, I don't need to clear my cache for this functionality to work on any other forum sites I visit, so I think that it's something wrong with this one!
2008-04-25, 10:19
rowlandhills Wrote:The "Mark all forums read" link at the bottom of the home page doesn't appear to be working. When I click it, and then go into the "View Today's Posts" page, a lot of posts are still marked as new. This happens even if I leave the site and come back later.

The documentation on the MyBB site (http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Portal) says:
Quote:"View New Posts" display the user new posts since his or her last visit
"View Today's Posts" displays all of the posts that have been made in the last 24 hours.

I think you want the "View New Posts", rather than "View Todays Posts"

I've just tried mark all read, and using "View New Posts", and I get an empty list. If there is a problem, I can't currently reproduce it.

There is another possible explanation: There are a number posts being created, and then deleted by their author - this probably flags a thread as having new posts.

More advanced management of read/unread posts has been requested at MyBB, (http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...pid207116)
2008-04-25, 11:33
Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear...

In the "View Today's Posts" view, there is a small image of an arrow which appears beside unread posts. If I go into a thread showing this symbol, then return to the "View Today's Posts" view, the arrow image disappears, indicating that I've read that thread. However, if I click the "Mark all forums read" link, it doesn't seem to make any difference to which threads show up with that arrow image in the "View Today's Posts" screen.

I prefer to use this view rather than the "New Posts" view, since I make several vists to the board during the course of the day, reading one or two interesting posts each time. In the evening, I then like to be able to check to see if I've missed anything good on early visits. This means that the "New Posts" view doesn't work, since it only shows new posts since my last visit. The "Today's Posts" view is ideal, but currently I can't mark all posts as read once I've decided that there's nothing else I want to bother reading.