Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-02, 22:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / rack

rack
2008-08-01, 13:50
rack
I often read that special racks have a postive effect on hifi equipment. What is the opinion of the community? Does a one-box system like Classik benefit from a special rack, as well?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-08-01, 14:29
RE: rack
It should be rigid and nice looking, so your wife woudn't throw it through the door. That would be all. Maybe if it would fit Classik it could be better to use. Wink
2008-08-01, 14:31
FanaticalLinnie Wrote:It should be rigid and nice looking, so your wife woudn't throw it through the door. That would be all. Maybe if it would fit Classik it could be better to use. Wink

ah, yes, WAF, I remember ... then I should nail it to the floor...Tongue
2008-08-01, 15:49 (This post was last modified: 2008-08-01 15:49 by Music Lover.)
ADIKT Wrote:I often read that special racks have a postive effect on hifi equipment. What is the opinion of the community? Does a one-box system like Classik benefit from a special rack, as well?
Yes a good rack is beneficial for all systems, but "special" no.
An IKEA Lack is a good low cost start.

Goodbye folks, see you @ http://www.lejonklou.com/forum
2008-08-02, 14:24
Music Lover Wrote:
ADIKT Wrote:I often read that special racks have a postive effect on hifi equipment. What is the opinion of the community? Does a one-box system like Classik benefit from a special rack, as well?
Yes a good rack is beneficial for all systems, but "special" no.
An IKEA Lack is a good low cost start.

Adikt,

The simple answer is Yes, "special" stands (read - "stands designed for HiFi, by people who know HiFi") do benefit the sonic quality of your output, even with a Classik. Look for something in your price range with isolating characteristics and real hardwoods.

I have always liked the way Linn looks in Quadraspire, but there are other good options out there that aren't cheap, but not shocking either.

I use the Q4 with the larger diameter silver posts, individual cherry shelves holding each piece of equipment and then a (decorative) frosted glass on top for holding a candle that increases the WAF factor. Aesthetically pleasing, with the addition of sonic benefits, acceptable level of WAF, & well suited for Linn.

Sorry, but IMO, putting Linn kit on or in Ikea ($h!t) is criminal. I would compare it to putting cheap Korean tires on your Aston Martin. Somebody is bound to do it, but it just doesn't fit!

Cheers,

John
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
System 1 - Unidisc SC, Chakra 5100, Majik 3100, (active) Majik 140 & Nordost.
System 2 - Classik Movie (2005) & stand mounted Katans with Nordost.
2008-08-02, 16:19
I tend to agree with JonhNick on this. There is a fair bit of controversy as to which is truly the best sounding rack, and there are certainly sonic differences. I have heard positive comments on a number including the TimeTable from Germany and the Harmonihylla from Sweden but it is hard to know how good they are as neither is widely distributed.

I have been very pleased with Quadraspire as well. They definitely sound better than the Sound Organisation and Target racks I used to use and they are attractive as well. I went with the glass top shelf as well to keep vases, etc. from being placed on the top of the equipment and to dress it up a little bit but I chose the clear glass. Quadraspire used to make a rack just the right size for Linn LK components including the Classik Music bit I don't believe they still make that size. They also make an Acrylic Reference rack that sounds even better but it also costs about twice as much.

Linn themselves display their equipment on Quadraspire racks at shows in the UK and the US and also use it in their product photography.

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2008-08-02, 21:44 (This post was last modified: 2009-04-01 23:33 by Warren.)
I heard loads of racks at a show one year and ended up liking the Quadraspire racks by far the most.

A decision was made. It was by far the right choice.

Then I visited a friend who had got some Hutter racks, who was really pleased with them, so I decided to explore.

I went to a dealer. They had lots of Hutter racks and only one Quadraspire Q4 rack for comparision. For simplicity I took in my Ikemi as source to try on the racks.

The Q4 was vastly outperformed by the Hutters. So like probably all their customers, I bought Hutter Racks.

About the same time I heard Naim had brought out some racks but all their Austrian dealers refused to take them as they weren't as good as the Hutters they were already using.

Hutter is a quality furniture company in Austria. The founder's son took over the company and, as a hifi buff, wondered if they could do furniture that sounded good as well as looking good.

Each shelf is triple layered spruce wood. The veneers are glued in several layer. They also use the same water varnish used by Austrian piano maker "Bösendorfer". The connectors are made of solid non-ferrous aluminum.

I couldn't find any reviews of their Platform One, so I tried one for my LP12 and it gave instruments a more natural effortless presence. I now have my DS on one too.
2008-08-03, 16:10
Yep, Hutter are one of the best racks out there, certainly beating QS and Naim. Not sure whether the welded Sound Organisation racks are better though.

Isoblue are said to be a very good less-expensive alternative.

Andrew Randle

Timing is everything
2008-08-04, 06:34
Thanks community!

I thought for a long time, that magazines are telling stories about the performance of racks, but you are an independent source of information!
2008-08-04, 13:33
Are the welded Sound Orgs still available???

I still have two 23 year-old SO Turntable Wall Mounts and one two-shelf floor table. Rugged as a tank, but black paint is peeling due to aging.

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo/Creek OBH-15/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Direktor/Katans
Spares: 2250/Ittok LVII/Karma/NAIT 5i/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes & R1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user