Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 sub-chassis - The 'RubiKon'

Thread Closed 
LP12 sub-chassis - The 'RubiKon'
2010-02-26, 12:02 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 12:15 by flatpopely.)
LP12 sub-chassis - The 'RubiKon'
Hello everyone.

First up I would like to thank Linn for being so open and honest in responding to enquiries by me and the fact that they are fine with me posting this type of info, a refreshing change from some manufacturer sites.

For many years now I have owned an LP12 and the motor unit is now full modern spec apart from a Keel. The arm is an Ittok with an ESC rebuilt Troika.

I can't afford a Keel (wish I could) but I believe that the sub-chassis of an LP12 can be improved. There is a poll running at the moment about alternatives and I thought it would be good to have a 'clean' thread discussing our offering, the 'RubiKon'.

Some months ago a conversation over a pint resulted in plans being drawn up for an alternative sub-chassis for the LP12. Several designs were produced along with prototypes. We are now at pre-production prototype stage.

Two things were 'front and centre' in our minds when producing this product:-

1. Sound quality.

2. Quality of manufacture and finish.

As the owner of an LP12 these things are uppermost in my requirements for anything that is fitted to my deck. I think we have achieved it. The prototype is almost production standard and once we go ahead it will be production standard with a superb fit and finish.

It uses some novel design techniques to achieve the goal of keeping the stylus away from external vibrations while at the same time removing unwanted vibrations away from the cartridge and arm. This all leaves the stylus free to do its thing and retrieve minute details and nuances in the music. I think its sounds rather good!

A couple of pics and some info can be found here:-

http://www.audioflat.co.uk

I have listening sessions, for their thoughts, planned at two highly respected Linn dealers soon. The sub-chassis will also be on demo here:-

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/show

Ok some housekeeping:-

1. I will not offer this for sale via this forum.
2. I am just a normal guy with a huge amount of respect for the LP12, I can't afford a Keel, that's my motive for this venture.
3. I accept that some people will not like the design/sound/concept of the 'RubiKon'.
4. I welcome comments both positive and negative.
5. I hope to sell this via dealers and not direct. The LP12 needs the right touch to sing and 99% of the public would not know how to setup an LP12.
6. I did not design this, YNWaN did. I just came up with the idea and steered him in the direction I wanted.

So there you go people. Feel free to ask me anything you like................

Andrew.

LP12/Maple/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal/Tranquillity
Ittok LVII (unique)/ASAKA (Goldring rebuilt)
JVC AX Z1010TN integrated amplifier (yes, really!)
SARAs-external crossovers and as new!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-02-26, 16:43 (This post was last modified: 2014-11-22 12:02 by Eileen Forward.)
RE: LP12 sub-chassis - The 'RubiKon'
Find all posts by this user
2010-02-26, 16:47
Hello EF.

We will find out how it compares to a Keel in mid March.

No plans, ever, to produce a cheaper version of the RadiKal and Urika.

Andrew

2010-02-26, 17:12
(2010-02-26 16:47)flatpopely Wrote:  We will find out how it compares to a Keel in mid March.

Good luck for mid March!

Hopefully the wigwam show won't turn into a 'Cirkus'. Would you go so far as to sell your 'Sole' to come close in comparison to a Keel, and do you risk being 'Keel-hauled' if the comparison isn't as close as you'd like? Tongue

Linn sources & cables... after that, you lost me
2010-02-26, 17:17
Not used my Cirkus deck for years now (and will probably sell) but I have followed the "can't afford..." thread with great interest.

I would just like to say. "good luck" and "well done" to those involved in The Rubikon project. Cool

Regards,

Tone.

Ingots (Katalyst) and wood.
2010-02-26, 20:38
YNWaN, what are you talking about?

2010-02-26, 21:27
(2010-02-26 20:38)flatpopely Wrote:  YNWaN, what are you talking about?

You've been passing the tipple around haven't you? Wink
2010-02-26, 21:52 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 21:53 by YNWaN.)
Oops...it was a reply to a completely different issue on a completely different forum (I was just wondering where it had gone!). I've deleted it now Rolleyes

Designer, RubiKon & Tranquility
2010-02-26, 23:14
Will look forward to Bake off results..... Good luck...
Do you know approx price it will be retailed at ? ....... or you waiting to hear how good it does against a keel Wink

Music Room:- LP12 Klimax SE...KDS/1/D KK/1/D Solos/D - Supra Sword I/C TQ Ultra Black - PMC FACT8.
Lounge:- ADS/D..MarantzSR7005+UD7006..2250/D. Dynaudio Gemini..Rikter 12.26 Sub.
Orangery:- Majik DSM- KEF Ci200QS.. Kitchen:- Sneaky DS...Study:- PC - iFi Nano DAC, AV5125 - Kan Mk2
2010-02-26, 23:19 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 23:20 by flatpopely.)
(2010-02-26 23:14)9designs Wrote:  Will look forward to Bake off results..... Good luck...
Do you know approx price it will be retailed at ? ....... or you waiting to hear how good it does against a keel Wink

£2150! If only.........

More like £1k(ish). Final price depends on final production cost.

Andrew.

Thread Closed