Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-12-20, 14:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Hercules vs Lingo

Hercules vs Lingo
2010-02-26, 12:22
Hercules vs Lingo
I've had a hercules fitted to my LP12/Ittok LV III for a year now, and was wondering how it compares to a Lingo, especially the original version, in terms of sound quality.

Does anyone know?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-02-26, 12:24
RE: Hercules vs Lingo
Rick.

Do you have it in the deck or in the offboard housing, the MOSE?

Andrew

LP12/Maple/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal/ARO/ASAKA
PrefixK powered by Dual TPR4 PDU
NAC72 with Music Power cards/Dual TPR4 PSU/NAP135s
SARAs-external crossovers and as new!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-02-26, 12:50
In the deck.
2010-02-26, 12:54
In that case it will be worse. The MOSE makes a big difference to the sound of the Hercules and most opinon is that the Lingo MKI is better than the HerculesII in the deck.

Having said that its a great way to replace an aging Valhalla, get 45/33rpm playback and an improvement in sound quality. Plus they are very, very well made.

LP12/Maple/Cirkus/RubiKon/Radikal/ARO/ASAKA
PrefixK powered by Dual TPR4 PDU
NAC72 with Music Power cards/Dual TPR4 PSU/NAP135s
SARAs-external crossovers and as new!
2010-02-26, 20:03 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 20:04 by eye-fi.)
FYI, a LINGO Mk1 is far superior to a Valhalla & as the Hercules is based on the same concept (almost same circuitry except addition of 45RPM) I would make the same judgement it is also better than a Herc.

I'd consider tho' if you can a Lingo Mk2 which is yet better. Having recently parted with my elderly Mk1 Lingo (it was an emotional moment), a very early example & replaced with a 2005 Mk2 the difference was easy to hear. Much better stability, bass slam & drive.

I have to say tho' my Mk1 never has seen a service, it's always worked (always left on) but maybe due to age some capacitors/components have lost some of their ratings, causing it to sound a little light,diffuse & unstable (speed) in comparison.
2010-03-09, 08:35
eye-fi,
I wouldn't say the Hercules is the same circuitry as the Valhalla in any way it's a total new design with 45rpm and with Mose its one hell of a great power supply and that it can be had for $320 new on Ebay you can not go wrong. I have a Mose/Hercules and love it, can you Buy anything close to it's quality for so little cost.

Robert
Thorens TD150mkII/Sole Sub-Chassis/Mose+Hercules II psu /Roksan Nima/Denon DL-S1
2010-03-19, 21:49
I've not heard the original Lingo but when I fitted the MOSE/Hercules 2 to my LP12 the difference was a much tighter control of the bass and more "humph". I believe it to be a bit of a bargain and mine more so as I didn't use eBay but bought it direct from the maker at a greatly reduced price as to what it's been sold for over here. I know I bought it blind and I guess if I had more money I would have gone for the Lingo but I'm very pleased and happy with my purchase and the results from it.
2010-08-14, 19:18
I did quite a bit of testing on this and my conclusion was:

1. Hercules/Mose
2. DIY externally mounted Hercules
3. Lingo
4. Valhalla
5. Internal Hercules

The Mose gives better bass response and is quieter than the Lingo. There is something lost around the higher frequencies though, that Linn sweet sound perhaps.

I thought that the Valhalla was actually a fairly similar sound to the Lingo, just a little less refined. I have to say the only one I didn't actually like was the internal Hercules. Just sounded a bit harsh to me.

LP12 (Radikal/D, Keel, Ekos SE, Grado Reference), Naim CD player collecting dust, Croft valve amps (25RS, S4), Kudos C10's
2010-08-14, 19:48 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-14 19:49 by mystic fred.)
I recently changed my Valhalla for Hercules II internal, the obvious advantage being the 45 rpm capability but as mentioned the sound was a little edgy yet retained the sweet spacious Linn sound, very detailed, controlled bass, perfect for heavy rock and jazz, but may disturb sensitive classical types Wink

2010-08-14, 22:11 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-14 22:13 by What You See and Hear.)
The Lingo has not yet been copied by the Chinese as it's still too complex ,21 years after launch.The Hercules and the Mose are based on the Valhalla design but run at slightly lower torque and also offer 45 RPM.

This is something Linn experimented with in the late 80s but did not proceed with, as it compromised performance.I have an LP12 here that has an unusual plinth from around 1988-9.It has a cut out on the rear corner brace and also a milled hole for an IEC socket.This hole is machined out of the inside of the plinth ,leaving a 2 or 3 mm skin on the back which can easily be cut through with a pad-saw.The whole point was to allow the fitting of a Linn 33/45 RPM power supply ,and I have seen several of these plinths over the years so a batch must have been made at the time.

The Idea was canned because even a half percent of performance loss on the 33 RPM Valhalla would have been unacceptable if this was the price of an internal 2 speed supply.Linn lost a few customers over the years as they would not compromise 33 performance to to offer 45.The Lingo was developed instead is still a very sophisticated solution.It is very clever because it uses a load sensing circuit and two stage drive.This gives full torque during start-up but then,as the platter mass takes over the rotation drops the motor down to "stealth mode" which gives the motor enough energy for quiet,stable rotation but without the vibration and shake that the Valhalla and copies impart.This lowers the noise floor of the LP12 substantially and the musical result is clearly heard,especially in an all Linn system.This is still unique and none of the alternatives employ this technology which is why they are cheap.The Lingo achieves superior 33 performance and also 45 with no compromise,as does the Radikal.The Hercules and Mose may seem good value but a Lingo MK1 or 2 is superior if you have a system that is "tune" orientated.However the Lingo is too big to fit in an LP12 and the toroidal transformer vibration would raise the noise floor of the deck as well as a the magnetic field which is why it has to be external.

I notice that many people in the trade would still go for fresh 33 RPM Valhalla to the Chinese made two speed replacements when pushed for a preference..The Lingo in a properly set up LP12 is still, in my experience superb and second only to the Radikal.

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com