Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 02:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / What are your best ever upgrades?

What are your best ever upgrades?
2008-10-03, 12:20
RE: What are your best ever upgrades?
GarnerA Wrote:I'll second the Akurate DS to Klimax DS comment. Just a stunning difference - more than I expected. Is it worth 3x? Probably not if you are sane (are we sane if we are buying all this Linn gear?).

Just to be on the safe side, I'm making long-term reservations on a nearby Psychiatric ward. BTW, I'll just check if they have a Linn system for music listening while under treatment! Wink

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ittok LV-II/Arkiv/Lingo/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Wakonda/LK140/Katans
Spares: 2250/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-10-11, 06:07
1. Americanized speakers to Linn! (Magnepan Tympani 1D's to Linn Kaber)
Thanks to a friend for exposing me to the world of "Linn sound"!
My Magnepans were good speakers, but I had no idea it was possible
to have speakers that are so good you can only share the Linn sound
because there are no words to explain it!

2. Linn speaker cable to PS Audio Statement cables that are 6 guage.
What a transformation! Sound stage became truly 4 dimensional and
All of the sound was now presented in a way that was truly amazing.

3. Replaced all Interconnects with PS Audio Xstream Statements.
These allowed my Kabers to be much more revealing and warm.
Another improvement some friends noted was now they are pretty
darn close to "pitch perfect" if there is such a thing!
They all now own Linn speakers........

Rainman

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2008-10-11, 10:13
Buing a Linn system. Simple.

It's so must better than my previous Plinius/Dynaudio-set-up. You could say that Linn sound is addictive. I don't know about you guys but i spent most of my free time just listening music.
2008-10-11, 10:46 (This post was last modified: 2008-10-11 10:47 by Cremona.)
I have to agree even if i somtimes get cynical about the DS platform i dont have one regret getting a ds.
The sound from a linn source is addictiv same goes for the rest of the linn eletronics.
2008-10-26, 16:08
1. Thorens TD125 to Linn LP12

2. Quad to Naim amps

3. Philips to Naim CDi

4. SME to Ittok

5. Ittok to Aro

6. Hi-cap to Avondale TPX1

7. Lingo1 to Avondale TAPS

Not very Linn-friendly, is it?

Possibly the best "upgrade" of all was getting a record cleaning machine (Moth).

[size=xx-small]Very early LP12, with Cirkus, Sole, Aro, OC9MLII, Avondale TAPS;
Avondale Stage1/TPX1, Naim 72/821A/TPX1, Naim 250, Tannoy SL25;
Naim CDS2/XPS and NAT02.[/size]
2008-10-28, 14:35
Hello,

Well here goes.

Building a purpose built room for my hi Fi and spending weeks tuning it.

Putting in a dedicated electric supply only for the hi fi.

Changing all interconnects to Kimber ones.

Changing the speaker cable to Kimber 8TC, mind you I change back to Mogami now and again as it is still very very good.

Moving from CD to a DS system, however LP's are still way better.

Moving from Linn speakers, Activie Isobariks to Shahinian Arc's and only one amp! Yes I have tried some of the latest Linn offerings, they stopped making speakers when they stopped making the Isobariks. My opinion, and I wont change my thoughts on that.

Once it was all connected together letting it play for hours and hours and hours and hours to run in.

Main difference is that some of the music is now seriously good, however some is complete crap. Still cannot win them all Tongue

Cheers

John

(Main Room - Lejonklou Kikkin 2.2 - Majik DS - 2250D - Akurate 212's - Quad PA-One - Sennheiser HD800s ) ( TV Room - Auralic Aries Mini - Naim Headline - Beyerdynamics DT880's ) ( Tidal - ReadyNas Duo - Kazoo ) ( Linn mains cables, Kimber 8TC speaker cable, Mogami interconnects ) ( LP12-Ittok-Karma -retired!! )
2008-11-12, 08:33
Hello,
• LK85 to Klout to Chakra 200 back to Klout!
• Harman Kardon receiver to Classik Movie di
• Generic speaker cables to Linn K-400
• Generic interconnects to Linn silver
Cheers!
2008-11-12, 16:57
1 Klimax kontrol 2008 upgrade was by far the most amazing upgrade.

2 System audio to sonus faber cremonas.

3 Ice power to klimax solo
2008-11-13, 00:40
Brand new outer platter circa 1990 to s/h outer platter of the same ish era, which runs true, no wobble.
2011-12-29, 06:50 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-29 07:13 by Paulssurround.)
Movie Classik to Unidisc SC ( much more detailed and dynamic)

Ninkas, Trikan, and Katans passive to fully Aktiv (now we are talking)

Ninkas, Trikan, and Katans to Majik Isobariks, 112 centre channel and Majik 109's
(hochee mama, this is amazing. Is the band in the room?)

Converting all electronics to Dynamik power supplies ( quieter background, more dynamic powerful presentation, instruments sound more as they should)

Majik DS to Akurate DS Mk2(no comparison)

Linn black interconnects to Linn Silvers (stunning improvement, great value for the money)

Hospital grade wall plug to Shunyata SR Z1 (Who rolled the curtain back and opened up more detail?)

Linn power cords to Shunyata Venom 3 and Diamondback power cords (Power amps sound significantly more powerful, detailed and musical) Like switching from regular grade gas to premium grade)

No power conditioner to Transparent Powerbank 6 ( much more detail, quieter background, more spacial)

Transparent power conditioner to Shunyata Hydra 4(holy mother of..... Greatly extended dynamic range, detail at a whole new level, musical, the whole system now dances) brought my Ninkas to life, so they actually rocked. Has done great things for the new speakers)

Rear speakers on metal stands to placing them on studio monitor isolators(changed the whole room dynamics, far cleaner detailed sound)

Front speakers on floor with spikes with Kustone bases to kustone bases on top of Aurelex Sub-Dudes (tighter more musical bass) Also prevents neighbor from knocking on the door)

Shunyata 20 amp Diamondback power cord to Shunyata Hydra HC power cord(Refined low level detail, effortless and musical)Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels