Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-19, 23:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / What are your best ever upgrades?

What are your best ever upgrades?
2011-12-30, 04:39
RE: What are your best ever upgrades?
Best ever upgrade?

Ekos-2/Akiva -> Naim Aro/DV XV-1s (totally changed my record playing musical experience)
Keel (can't imagine the Sondek without it now)
Linto -> Urika

Best value upgrades?

Chord Epic -> Linn K400 (this move actually made me money as the Linn is way cheaper and yes- way better!)
SH Moth RCM £300 (biggest bang for buck upgrade ever, you got to hear it to believ it what a difference in sound a nicely washed record makes, even with totally new and 'clean' LPs)
MoFi anti-static record sleeves (they really do work Smile )
Khan LP12 top plate (£900 for an upgrade close to the magnitude of the Keel or a Radikal)

|| Cymbiosis LP12 - Radikal/D, Keel-A, Khan, Naim Aro, DV XV-1t, Urika || Renew DS || KK/1 || 4 Solos || A350P ||
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-30, 10:41
BEL The Wire interconnects (thanks Audio Concepts, Houston TX).

Latest KK. (Even with KDS1).

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos x 4 biamping - Sonus Faber Amati Futura
System 2: KDS/3 - KCT - Vivid 1.5
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC 600S]; Kemp [QA Plugs]
2011-12-30, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-30 12:30 by To be a Rock and not a Roll.)
Hi Guys,
I 1st listened to Keltiks about 16 years ago, at a dealer fully 'Klouted up', to be honest the experience never left me, a bit like sitting in the Liverpool Empire at 15 years old waiting for Genesis to come on stage -Jesus that was loud and that bass was unbelievable.....
Well too many years later, I have finally got that Live Experience
I know some people rightly say you should not judge a speaker by it's bass but it is also true that if ain't there, for me it doesn't work as an experience as I both recall and experience live music.
And to honest I dont want to spend zillions on 242's and the appropriate amount of amps to make it work, I'm sure it's an awesome speaker in it's own right, but for almost no money I have a stunning upgrade.
Yes I know I'm unpowered right now with the LK140's and the Karin has seen better days but honestly to my ears it sounds great
Back to the Kabers with the tune box and old LK cards, I found them very good, but I'm sure they were inferior to the newer amps and Charkra cards, but for me going to Aktiv only really made sense when I went from my Ikemi to the Renew, only then did I really get the full benefit ;)
What I would have loved to hear would be the Kabers run with a good array of new Linn amps, because I'm sure I never got close to their potential.

I have a cold at the moment and I'm using the Keltiks to loosen off my chest :(:D

Cheers for now...
Simon

Regarding the Kabers

(2011-12-29 15:21)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  
(2011-12-29 14:10)DeQMaster Wrote:  Upgrading to keltiks. Stunning speaker.
Just made the change about 2 hours ago :D :D

(2011-12-29 14:12)ToneDeff Wrote:  [Image: disposable-wooden-stick-cotton-swab-896826.jpg]
Much over used expression... But I really did LOL !

(2011-12-29 16:36)mrco99 Wrote:  
(2011-12-29 15:21)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  
(2011-12-29 14:10)DeQMaster Wrote:  Upgrading to keltiks. Stunning speaker.
Just made the change about 2 hours ago :D :D

(2011-12-29 16:12)DeQMaster Wrote:  As mrco99 would say...

Welcome to the Keltik klub!

Keltiks, in my own experience, are not easy beast that you c an throw anywhere in the room, with any electronics, and have them singing for you.

My path with them have been quite complex, but, im more than pleased on what i have now. Stunning speaker by all means.

:D:D:D Welcome to the Keltik Klub! :D:D:D

I also went from Kabers to Keltiks like you, only with 6100 amplification, so am very curious about how you get on.

I guess you have your tunebox filled with mono cards, whereas
I have the chakra cards inside the 6100. I do have an extra set
of mono cards lying around plus a tunebox from my Kabers, but never bothered to try them I must admit, as I supposed the combo to be inferior to the chakra cards inside in 6100.

How's the bass experience? ;)

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
2011-12-30, 14:05
I have changed every single item in my system over the past 18 months.

All changes (Karik/Numerik to KDS, Klouts to 4200d's, and Aktiv Kabers to Keltiks) were pretty significant, but the 2 that stood out most for me, in no particular order, were:

Mono cards in Klouts to KXO's for the Keltiks.

Kairn Pro to KK1/d.

SmileSmileCool

KDS2 - KK1D - Silvers - KXOs - Silvers - 8 x SolosD - K400 - Killer Keltiks
2011-12-30, 14:43
Re: RE: What are your best ever upgrades?
(2011-12-29 16:18)Paulssurround Wrote:  [quote='slackboy' pid='168045' dateline='1325167810']
Wow, this thread's back from the dead. Three years between posts 29 and 30.

Phobic has linked this thread in his sticky notes for General HiFi on Top Tips to Upgrade your System, so I felt it was time to get some new input into this important thread.

I know I have learned a lot in the last 3 years, and a lot has changed.
Especially to my bank accountTongue

It's a good thread even if some info is a bit out of date now Smile
2011-12-30, 15:11 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-30 15:11 by Count.d.)
(2011-12-30 04:39)rashumon Wrote:  Best ever upgrade?

Ekos-2/Akiva -> Naim Aro/DV XV-1s (totally changed my record playing musical experience)
Keel (can't imagine the Sondek without it now)
Linto -> Urika

Best value upgrades?

Chord Epic -> Linn K400 (this move actually made me money as the Linn is way cheaper and yes- way better!)
SH Moth RCM £300 (biggest bang for buck upgrade ever, you got to hear it to believ it what a difference in sound a nicely washed record makes, even with totally new and 'clean' LPs)
MoFi anti-static record sleeves (they really do work Smile )
Khan LP12 top plate (£900 for an upgrade close to the magnitude of the Keel or a Radikal)

Glad you're liking the Aro/XV1s Ami, just think what it'll sound like when it's run-in properly! 80 hours for the cartridge minimum. Yes, the LP12 needs the Keel.
2011-12-30, 15:54
Hello,

Two major upgrades : Klimax DS to Klimax DS/1, and Dynamik power supply in source, pre an 4 x amp in the same time.
2011-12-30, 23:22
What are your best ever upgrades?
Valhalla to Lingo-wow

Then...

Wakonda MM phono/Adikt to StagelineK/XPS/Delos-WoW

Then...

REL B3 added to aktiv Katans/LK85s -WOW

LP 12/Sound Org Table/Cirkus/Trampolin 2/Lingo 2/Ittok LVII/Delos/Linto/Rotel 1072 CDP/Wakonda/Linn black ICs all around/Aktiv Katans on Linn stands/LK85s/REL B3/Sennheiser HD 800/Schiit Lyr2/VPI HW-17 RCM
2011-12-31, 00:27
Magnolia to TusKan white.

I couldn't believe how much "lighter" and "smoother" the walls looked. I nearly went with Jasmine white but the TusKan was fifteen times dearer so it was a no brainer.

-If component A doesn't deliver then remove it, don't sit it on a spike.
-Which colour should I paint my small to medium room? Magnolia/Jasmine white/TusKan white? Please help me. I mean, I can't trust my eyes, I need yours.
- You are the problem with audio and myth. The dealers plant the seed. You grow it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-12-31, 04:00
(2011-12-30 15:11)Count.d Wrote:  Glad you're liking the Aro/XV1s Ami, just think what it'll sound like when it's run-in properly! 80 hours for the cartridge minimum. Yes, the LP12 needs the Keel.

Cheers Dino, I'm 'working hard' at getting to 80 hours over the holidays Big Grin Only been a week and getting there rather quickly.

My system has morphed from being very good 'system' to downright seductive music replay apparatus Cool. Finding it hard to walk away every time there's a record on the plater.

The Aro and the XV - what a match!

Hows your Dynamik upgrade turning out? Would it deserve starring in this thread?

|| Cymbiosis LP12 - Radikal/D, Keel-A, Khan, Naim Aro, DV XV-1t, Urika || Renew DS || KK/1 || 4 Solos || A350P ||