Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-25, 21:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Easy streaming PC Audio (Spotify, etc) to UPnP

Easy streaming PC Audio (Spotify, etc) to UPnP
2010-08-11, 13:26
Easy streaming PC Audio (Spotify, etc) to UPnP
The latest R3 Asset UPnP beta (will release fully in 4 weeks) can capture PC Audio and stream to a UPnP player (for example might be using Spotify).

Little Tutorial on Using PC Sound Capture [WASAPI]

** Requires Windows Vista or Windows 7 and registered or 30 day trial version of asset.

Install Asset v3:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=19807

Open Asset Configuration >> Advanced Settings 'Edit'

Under the browse tree click 'Add New Container' >> As a Child of Root, in the Selected box below this Add button click the down arrow and select 'PC Sound Capture [WASAPI]'. Click Ok to exit Asset Configuration.

Now When browsing Asset select 'PC Sound Capture [WASAPI]' and choose the sound output your computer is using (normally only one listed).

Piece of cake!

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-08-11, 21:38 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-11 21:44 by robogator.)
RE: Easy streaming PC Audio (Spotify, etc) to UPnP
I actually have 3 outputs on my laptop - headphones, speakers and HDMI port. All 3 show up in Asset as "Independent (R.T.C.) Headphones (IDT" but none of these three seem to product any audio (I set something playing on a loop in WinAmp).

System is a Dell Studio 15 running Vista Home Premium SP2 via a NetGear router and a set of homeplug adaptors to a Majik DS running cara 7 - will try with Cara 9.

Also after fiddling about with the different options a couple of times, my DS hangs in play mode and cannot then turn it off.

[size=xx-small]Majik DS, Sonos Multiroom, HP MediaSmart 475EX (WHS/Asset)[/size]
2010-08-11, 22:16
To clarify, all 3 outputs show as the same name in Asset?

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com
2010-08-11, 22:25 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-11 22:34 by robogator.)
Yeah they do - just tried with Cara 9 and the lasted KinskyDesktop beta and same result.
Tool tip for each shows as: "Independent (R.T.C.) Headphones (IDT High Definition CODEC)"

- Just tried it again and still crashing the DS & KinskyDesktop.

I'm just dragging one of the entries under "PC Sound Capture" to the playlist. Blue speaker icon lights up next to it, then I click Play, and the little timer shows briefly where track time is usually displayed then nothing. Te Display on the DS changes to show "Album" and the play icon, but after that if I press Pause, it locks up and won't respond to IR commands.

[size=xx-small]Majik DS, Sonos Multiroom, HP MediaSmart 475EX (WHS/Asset)[/size]
2010-08-12, 10:57
Just to delve more into it:

If your winamp was set to output via AISO, or WASAPI it is very unlikely there would be any sound from the capture (as these methods are direct to the sound card).

Which version of Windows do you have? also if you right click on your speaker >> Playback devices >> and right click on the 2 outputs which are not in use, then disable them. Also make sure the DS can play a normal file as served by Asset, such as a FLAC file.

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com
2010-08-12, 12:31
I assume this is not an Asset issue, but perhaps someone will know how to resolve the "Access Denied" message when I click on the PC Sound icon inside Kinsky Desktop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1: KDS,KK,SME20/2A w/Akiva, Uphorik, Exakt 350A, Transparent Reference XL Cables
#2: LP12 40th Aniv.,KDS,Unidisc 1.1,KK Solosx2,Kremlin,LP12, Wilson Duette 2,JL Audio F113, Transparent XL Cables
#3: Klimax Renew, Klimax Chakra twin, Akurate Pre, Majik 109s, Akurate Sub
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-08-12, 13:00
You can play normal files through Asset & Kinsky Desktop?

> I click on the PC Sound icon

This PC Sound Icon, this is the item which represents your sound output on the PC when 'PC Sound Capture [wasapi]' is selected?

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com
2010-08-12, 13:40
(2010-08-12 13:00)spoon Wrote:  You can play normal files through Asset & Kinsky Desktop?

> I click on the PC Sound icon

This PC Sound Icon, this is the item which represents your sound output on the PC when 'PC Sound Capture [wasapi]' is selected?

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I ran Windows update and then rebooted the machine and now it works! I have been trying to figure out how to stream Sirius/XM for quite some time and now I hear Howard Stern in 44.1Khz through my DS Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1: KDS,KK,SME20/2A w/Akiva, Uphorik, Exakt 350A, Transparent Reference XL Cables
#2: LP12 40th Aniv.,KDS,Unidisc 1.1,KK Solosx2,Kremlin,LP12, Wilson Duette 2,JL Audio F113, Transparent XL Cables
#3: Klimax Renew, Klimax Chakra twin, Akurate Pre, Majik 109s, Akurate Sub
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-08-16, 23:40 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-16 23:41 by robogator.)
Hi OS was in OP but to recap: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2.

Didn't know there was an ASIO option for WinAmp - I thought this tended to be reserved for semi-pro home studio cards?

WinAmp only seems to have anything to do with output under plug-ins, there are 3 listed:

NullSoft DiskWriter v2.14
NullSoft DirectSound Output v2.49
NullSoft WaveOut Output v2.12(d)

ASFIK DirectSound was highlighted but i've been clicking around randomly, I thought this was just for configuring the plug-in rather than selecting anything.

However, I was also expecting to hear windows sounds, such as e-mail notifications, YouTube from browser and when you turn volume up the little ding that you hear through the speakers - so it wasn't just WinAmp that wasn't working.

2010-08-17, 05:16 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-17 08:16 by user2112.)
Hi, I have a similar problem to Robogator I think. I have 4 playback devices. Asset sees 4 devices but names them all the same (realtek optical). My default device is not that one but even when I make that one the default I cannot get sound from any of the 4.

Disabled 3 of the devices leaving the one I normally use and then removed/reinstalled the wasapi tree. Now kinsky shows just 1 device with the correct name. However spotify plays through the pc speakers but nothing is coming from the DS. DS plays normal songs from asset ok.

Edit....
after a PC reboot I now see that the KDS is displaying 44.1K/24. plug player shows counting up in the timer bar but still no sound. Tried spotify and vlc and youtube. All continue to play via internal speaker but not via DS.

note also that when kinsky is started but say spotify is still off then kinsky does not report the file type or bit rate. However when a song is started in spotify then kinsky must "see" the stream as it then reports 128K mp3 for example but the KDS display doesn't change. I have also changed the soundcard properties to 16bit but this doesn't change the KDS from reporting 24bit.