Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-14, 18:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Multiple NAS Shares?

Multiple NAS Shares?
2010-08-13, 13:02
Multiple NAS Shares?
System Setup: I'm currently using a ReadyNAS Pro streaming with ReadyDLNA. Using Kinsky Desktop on a netbook for Linn DS and Sonos in other areas of the house.

Is there a way for my Linn DS system to access two NAS Shares at the same time? I'd like to move my hi-res downloads to a separate share so my Sonos system doesn't see them in its library.

This is possible in the Sonos software using the "Add a Share" button in the music library setup. Anything similar for Linn DS? Do I need to use different streaming software or control point?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-08-13, 13:29 (This post was last modified: 2010-11-05 12:40 by Briain.)
RE: Multiple NAS Shares?
Hi

ReadyDLNA

The best way would be to move the Sonos stuff to another share and leave ReadyDNLA to see the share it currently works on. I do not think that ReadyDNLA has a feature to set it to see all shares, but as I've never used it, I don't know that for sure; maybe it's just a hidden setting so you would be better to ask this on the ReadyNAS forum as ReadyDLNA was written (well, to be more accurate, it was adapted for use on the ReadyNAS) by one of the Netgear ReadyNAS staff.

Twonky

With the Twonky ReadyNAS add-ons, I asked the author (Super-Poussin) to set them to the media share only, but you can reset Twonky to see the entire NAS (including all the shares) by entering a command (called an RPC call) into a web browser and simply restarting Twonky. You can then set paths in the Twonky configuration (again, this is a web page) to point to different paths on different shares. The reason I set it to /media is that when first installing Twonky, it usually starts scanning the contents; if the contents are set to /, then it can scan the Linux files and crash Twonky.

For anyone reading this and wishing to change Twonky (this works for all versions including Twonky 4):

Twonky on ReadyNAS Duo and NV+

Note that in the below examples, I've used my own ReadyNAS IP address; obviously, you will have to use your own NAS IP address! Also note that the original versions of ReadyNAS Twonky 4 were set to port 8100 whereas Twonky 5 and 6 will likely be on port 9000 (as shown in the below example) Smile

The current Twonky settings are to /media but can be set to / by doing the following
Code:
http://192.168.96.22:9000/rpc/set_option?contentbase=/
then after using the restart Twonky button, browsing to the folders in Twonky config (remember that the existing ones will now need changed too - they'll require /media in front of them - but this can also be found by using the browse button to navigate into the media share).

To put things back to the way they're set in the initial installation, simply enter the default /media share path again
Code:
http://192.168.96.22:9000/rpc/set_option?contentbase=/media
then using the restart Twonky button to pick up the changes.

Twonky on the Qnap

Note also that the above examples are for the ReadyNAS Duo and NV+, for other NAS vendors you will have different paths to the media. For example, I've set my Qnap TS-659 to 'start' it's browse paths at the Multimedia share as shown below:
Code:
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?contentbase=/share/Multimedia

To get back to the default (and thus to show all the available shares on a Qnap) you use the below:
Code:
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?contentbase=/share

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2010-08-15, 02:08
Briain,

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that ReadyDLNA does support streaming of multiple shares, and then Kinsky Desktop sees the contents of both shares. See attached image from ReadyNAS console.

I added the second share to the list of folders to monitor in Kinsky Desktop. I'm not sure that was really necessary?

This gives me the solution I wanted -- the Linn DS system sees ALL music on both shares, including high resolution downloads, and the Sonos system (which can't play hi-res music) sees only the first share.

I hope this strategy is helpful to others dealing with integrating Linn and Sonos into their home music systems.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2010-08-15, 02:25
Fantastic! Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2010-08-22, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 2010-08-22 14:03 by koffeetalk.)
The other interesting and helpful thing is that Sonos does not rely on any streaming service. Sonos reads the metadata itself and only requires a NAS to support CIFS\SMB file sharing. See the Sonos FAQ "Using Sonos with a NAS" for more info.

So my music is now spread across three separate shares on my NAS:

\\readynas\media -- main media/music folder with files that are compatible with both Linn DS and Sonos

\\readynas\hi-res -- Studio Master downloads that are only played on Linn DS

\\readynas\sonos -- FLAC 16/44.1 versions of the Studio Masters for playback on Sonos

I have ReadyDLNA streaming the "media" and "hi-res" shares (so Linn DS can play music from these shares), and I have the Sonos music library monitoring the "media" and "sonos" shares. Sonos does its own scanning for changes and it can be configured for automatic rescanning on a schedule.

I hope this information is helpful to others trying to enjoy both Linn DS and Sonos (or another player that can't handle the hi-res formats).
2011-02-03, 00:57
To Briain:

I just want to give another big "Thanks!" to you for all the work on Twonky and the custom trees. It's one thing to create it for your own use, but it's quite another thing to share it and support all of us who aren't so technical. I realize it takes a lot of time and effort to respond to so many posts on multiple forums, and I really appreciate it.

I've come back to this post after realizing ReadyDLNA is entirely inadequate, which I discovered pretty quickly once I started ripping more of my Cd collection. I just installed Twonky 6.0.30, along with your custom trees from the QNAP forum ("AlbumArtistRevised"). I want to tell you I'm extremely pleased with the navigation that is now possible.

The funny part is that I was struggling with how to make Twonky see multiple shares on my NAS, and I found my own post here while searching the Internet for an answer!! Your description of how to open Twonky up to see multiple shares was just what I needed. Now I can see both my "media" share and my "hi-res" share!!

Excellent work! Thanks.