Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-23, 13:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Integrated nas and ripper

Integrated nas and ripper
2008-09-08, 21:52
RE: Integrated nas and ripper
alexg Wrote:Hi Keith

I'm also poised with my finger on the 'buy it now' button, which will quickly be followed by a call to my dealer to order an A-DS.

Feedback on this device is MOST welcome...

Hi keith,
I would also bring foward my purchase of a ds product with something like this being tested by Linn. I dont want all the tech hassle and tech babble, I just want to play and enjoy music as good as it can sound. I am a music lover period. Not interested in how it works so long as it does. I know that computers and storage devices can be very unreliable when compared to a cd player(a good one that is) Please help us, and thanks for being constructively supportive

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-09-08, 22:36
Musiclover2 Wrote:This potentially seems like it could solve a lot of issues for non IT experts like myself who are waiting patiently for a simple solution to allow them to jump to a DS! I think it would be useful if Linn could do some testing on this/ripserver and also the RipNAS from dbpoweramp-and let us know if any or all of these products would fit the bill for DS users,and the pros and cons of each machine.

Hi Musiclover2. I think you have made a good point - or at least I think you have as I haven't read all the DS postings.

Years ago I thought the move from carefully placing the stylus onto the vinyl to just pressing a remote control button was one of the big advances made when CD was introduced. Certainly easier for the lazier hi-fi geek like myself with nil technical skill.

Now this DS stuff scares the willies out of me. It all looks way to tricky!!! Whatever happned to plug 'n' play?

Lounge: Classik Movie '05, LK140 Activ x 3, AV5140's, Ekwal, Kan IV's, AV5150. Kitchen: Classik Music, Katans + Sizmik. Bedroom: Classik Movie + Katans. Everywhere else - iPods.
2008-09-08, 23:44
Hi,

There is a lot of members in this forum that will help you out with most setup issues. Any questions feel free to ask. In my case, I don't have access to the forum on regular business hours (until I can get my hands on a used 1st-gen iPhone!!!) but will answer questions as soon as I can.

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo/Creek OBH-15/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Direktor/Katans
Spares: 2250/Ittok LVII/Karma/NAIT 5i/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes & R1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2008-10-10, 22:23
TranquilPC sent me the RS3 manual in response to a webmail. It looks interesting and I'll be getting a demo with Sneaky and Majik next week.

I originally worried about the lack of RAID1 security, but the Windows folder duplication seems a better solution (from PC experience where a controller error destroyed both RAID 1 copies) - and of course the RS3 is the only one to support 2x1TB disks.

Will report on my impressions from the demo...TomP
2008-10-16, 11:24
I wonder if the fact, that it runs with Windows Home Server has any restrictions for Mac users... As it is the first one that supports ALAC, it has made me really horny.

Tell us Your impressions as soon as You can! :-)
2008-10-17, 20:36 (This post was last modified: 2008-10-17 20:46 by TomP.)
Linnphase Wrote:I wonder if the fact, that it runs with Windows Home Server has any restrictions for Mac users... As it is the first one that supports ALAC, it has made me really horny.

Tell us Your impressions as soon as You can! :-)

My understanding is that it is difficult for Mac users, just from a Google search, but do check out yourself as I'm no expert.

On the demo, I had the chance to listen to the Klimax, Akurate, Majik and Sneaky served from the RS3, listening on my dedicated head amp and Sennheiser 650s, my standard listening environment.

The surprising result was ...

Majik sounded best - and better than the Akurate CD player demo'd

Akurate next - better but slower bass, stereo resolution poorer

Sneaky and Klimax poorest equal. The latter has been sent back to Linn, but phase shift between channels was obvious to my ears.

On the control side, the Linn GUI was even worse than I expected and I left still confused as to what sensible options (ie. NOT a laptop) are available that my wife would have a hope of understanding.

I had hoped to compare with the Slim Transporter, but ran out of time as setting up the RS3 took longer than expected, hope to listen next week. The only comment so far was that the Transporter control with only the cheap remote (not Duet controller) was infinitely more intuitive and user friendly. This could easily be the reason I pass on Linn unless the sound difference is massive.

I can also see why Naim integrated everything into one box, shame about the meagre disk size and high price !!

I used my usual set of test CDs, all are significant tests of different aspects of stereo resolution / dynamics and true-to-live instrument sound...

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Full Force
Henry Threadgill - Easily Slips into Another World (really showed the differences)
King Crimson - Thrakattak
Scorch Trio - Brolt!

BTW, I also got to compare the Grado second best RS1 'phones and they were just awful compared to the 650s (the shop opinion too, not just me)
2008-10-18, 00:09
Did you used tune-dem?
2008-10-18, 09:08
FanaticalLinnie Wrote:Did you used tune-dem?
Apologies, what is tune-dem?
2008-10-18, 09:51 (This post was last modified: 2008-10-18 16:21 by Cremona.)
Hey maybe linn should put the majik ds as there reference digital music player and drop the price on the klimax with about 92 % Big Grin

But seriously have can the akurate have pure resolution then the majik ?

My findings wherer the exact opposit

Tune dem is way of telling if one product is more musical then the other, i absolutly do not rely in this method evaluating speakers havever with sources(pres/ amps its absolut must.
The mind always plays tricks you (espicaly) wheh demoing sources when you dont have a clear idea what to listen for.
2008-10-18, 15:44 (This post was last modified: 2008-10-18 15:44 by FanaticalLinnie.)
TomP,
Read about Tune-Dem here: http://www.linn.co.uk/if_it_sounds_better_it_is_better
http://www.lejonklou.com/?page=37