Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-21, 17:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / From CDs to DS: My first blog post

From CDs to DS: My first blog post
2010-09-22, 17:41
From CDs to DS: My first blog post
Enjoy! (and be kind)

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/oliverh/2010/09/...enment.php

I've enabled inline commenting on the article itself for anyone who's entranced/irritated enough to comment but I've also kept the usual forum thread link in case we need to clear some space for a debate (not that I'm expecting or inviting one particularly...)

Thanks,
Olly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-09-22, 21:11
RE: From CDs to DS: My first blog post
LOL! "imagine flipping a record" - when else would you have a chance to refill your glass, I ask? Nice blog - will be interested to see how it all develops. I'm not anti DS at all, but am still not convinced that it will not be 2 h music, 6h farting around in the network pulling hair out and cursing. Probably because I have a mac....
Good luck with it!
Find all posts by this user
2010-09-22, 23:42
(2010-09-22 21:11)qtws Wrote:  LOL! "imagine flipping a record" - when else would you have a chance to refill your glass, I ask? Nice blog - will be interested to see how it all develops. I'm not anti DS at all, but am still not convinced that it will not be 2 h music, 6h farting around in the network pulling hair out and cursing. Probably because I have a mac....
Good luck with it!

2h music, 6h farting around...I'd be happy with that, just got a DS, 5min music, 5days farting around. Still won't work, probably because I have a mac.
2010-09-23, 02:58
I just have to say that I have a MacBook Pro boot-camped with windows. dBPoweramp for ripping, konfig, and kinskydesktop. Works without a hiccup from the windows world and everything still "just works" as expected from Apple. This not what I was looking for, but it works so well that I just wanted to let anyone who is still being bothered by all the complications that surrendering to XP has freed me up to listen to music without the slightest bother. The vista machine is a pain. The Mac only is a hassle. I am writing this on the wife's iPad so I must limit the length of this post as I don't know how to scroll in this posting box on the iPad. The iPad with ChorusHD is my preferred control point. Kinsky Desktop is just as reliable but the instant on of the iPad is great.

Not much
2010-09-23, 09:12
(2010-09-23 02:58)SaltyDog Wrote:  ...I don't know how to scroll in this posting box on the iPad.

You have to touch the box enabling the keyboard, then double-touch enabling highlighting. By highlighting towards the bottom of the box, the text will scroll.

Text editing in the iPad looks like a pain at the beginning but there are tricks... Tongue

KlimaxDS / LP12 / KlimaxK / Klimax350A
SneakyDS / Komp104 / Akurate226
I [i]Love[/i] DS
2010-09-23, 14:12
(2010-09-22 21:11)qtws Wrote:  LOL! "imagine flipping a record" - when else would you have a chance to refill your glass, I ask? Nice blog - will be interested to see how it all develops. I'm not anti DS at all, but am still not convinced that it will not be 2 h music, 6h farting around in the network pulling hair out and cursing. Probably because I have a mac....
Good luck with it!

Thanks - building and using a pure Mac system is definitely down as one of the tasks that I need to cover - as well as the legions of Mac users waiting for an official Linn release, my girlfriend has a Mac and I'm keen to have a mix of PC, Mac and Linn bits living in domestic harmony...ah, bliss Smile

Anyway, I have a special Linn-designed glass that auto-tops-up from a playlist of pre-selected drinks [select Genre > Self-Immolation by Sambuca]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-09-23, 20:19 (This post was last modified: 2010-09-23 20:19 by SaltyDog.)
"Text editing in the iPad looks like a pain at the beginning but there are tricks... Tongue"

Playing music on a DS looks like a pain at the beginning but there are tricks... Tongue

Any links to an apple forum where I can feel the pain of others in the learning curve? Or is this reserved for Linn only? Wink
Thanks for the tip Daria. I'll have to give it try.

Not much
2010-09-24, 08:57
(2010-09-22 23:42)Withnail Wrote:  
Good luck with it!

2h music, 6h farting around...I'd be happy with that, just got a DS, 5min music, 5days farting around. Still won't work, probably because I have a mac.

Really. I am on a Mac, and I've really had zero problems other than Konfig not running when virtual box is installed. Granted, my files are on my QNAP, but once up and running, there's been zero down time.
2010-09-24, 16:49
Hi Jim
Using a Mac with Parallels Desktop, and run vista for linn Konfig updates, dbpoweramp and mp3 tag - no problems.
ChourusHd and Songbook on the iPad works like a dream. Even my better half uses the iPad for selecting tracks.
Have not yet tried a Mac only solution end 2 end, as quite frankly I would rather listen to the music instead.
I have been using many control points, iPad, Archos Tablet, iPhone, iMac - covering Chorus, Songbook, kinsky desktop, JRiver; more as a process of evaluation than anything else. But must admit and agree the iPad/ChorusHD solution is being used the most throughout the home

KDS1 - Trinnov Amethst - Klimax 320A - JL Audio Fathom F112 *2 - PS Audio PPP
Jriver MC - Jremote
Passive bits n pieces by HRS - Finite Elemente - Auralex

If music be the food of love - play on
2010-09-24, 18:03
The fast/instant on is a major factor that is missing in all but the iPad. I like the Mac control points, but frankly having to reboot is so slow and such a bother that I never really use them. jRiver for playlists is very powerful and I like it alot. I'm getting to the point of listening instead messing about with the control at the moment due to schedule. When I have more time I do enjoy messing about with the different stuff. If it works fairly quick without too much fuss that is.

Not much