Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-31, 07:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / Problems of LinnGUI with J River Media Center

Problems of LinnGUI with J River Media Center
2008-09-13, 17:04
Problems of LinnGUI with J River Media Center
Dear all,

I'm trying to use J. River Media Center 12 (http://www.jrmediacenter.com) as uPnP Server. I like it because I can rip and organize in a single application. Its uPnP Server also works with Keywords tag, which TwonkyMedia Server does not support. Rip, organize, and uPnP server in one piece is a very ideal for LINN DS. But unfortunately, I encountered two problems:
1. LinnGUI failed to add FLAC files to my Majik DS, but WAV and MP3 works fine.
2. LinnGUI failed to recognize files with non-English (such as Japanese and Chinese) filename and tags.

Anyone can help solving the problems? If Linn can work with J. River to solve the problems, it will be great.

--Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-09-13, 22:29 (This post was last modified: 2008-09-13 22:30 by Keith Robertson.)
RE: Problems of LinnGUI with J River Media Center
ysw Wrote:1. LinnGUI failed to add FLAC files to my Majik DS, but WAV and MP3 works fine.

Can you explain what you mean by: "LinnGUI failed to add FLAC files"? Do the files show up in the library list of the LinnGUI? Or not at all? If they don't show up at all, it's most likely that JRMC isn't indexing them.

If they do show up, but clicking on them doesn't add them to the playlist, it's most likely that JRMC isn't presenting them as the correct Upnp AV object type.

The last time I looked at JR Media Centre, it didn't support flac out of the box. You had to install a plugin. It's possible that this is the cause of one or both of the above issues.

ysw Wrote:2. LinnGUI failed to recognize files with non-English (such as Japanese and Chinese) filename and tags.

The LinnGUI just displays the metadata provided by the MediaServer. Further, the LinnGUI is capable of displaying any unicode character set. My suspicion is that JRMC is not sending the correct metadata for the file.

I'll check into this a bit further on Monday, but my guess is that these are both bugs in JRMC's Upnp Media Server. Is there a bug list for JRMC that you can report these to as well?
2008-09-13, 23:03
ysw Wrote:1. LinnGUI failed to add FLAC files to my Majik DS, but WAV and MP3 works fine.
Just downloaded V12 to check this out - issues found on quick inspection:

1) UPnP GetProtocolInfo command is giving a Server Error - JR is not reporting file formats it can handle

2) Automaticaly transcoding everything to WMA (which is not supported by DS currently). Fixed by changing server option to Don't convert audio

3) Mime type sent by server for flac files is audio/flac when it should be audio/x-flac. By sending this invalid mime-type, LinnGui will not allow them to be added to the playlist, as it only allows supported mime-types to be added.

So flac support is broken by a bug in JRiver - will report this to them
2008-09-14, 17:55
Thanks for your prompt reply, keithr & rockfather. I reported the problems to J. River also. J. River also think that it is the mime problems for failing to add flac files to DS playlist. It is great that you found the exact mime problem. I will report to them.

For the files with non-English filenames and tags, the files even don't show up in the library list of the LinnGUI. J River queries whether LinnGUI support Unicode. It is great to know LinnGUI supports Unicode. Will report to them also.

Thanks a lot and looking forward for your further information.

Thanks again.

Wilson
2008-12-17, 12:23 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-01 11:46 by nathan3011.)
Ah fantastic thank you so much you guys, i've been looking for the answer to this problem because i've had exactly the same Land Insurance as you Smile

I know what you mean by j.River media Center being really good because i think exactly the same its so easy to use aswell, rather a brilliant program Smile
2008-12-19, 21:02
I am using Jriver since many years too, to organize my mediafiles. So great if in the near future it can feed the DS thru UpnP Server

BBrip