Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-31, 16:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / BubbleDS: a Control Point for Android 2.1+ (in development)

BubbleDS: a Control Point for Android 2.1+ (in development)
2010-10-09, 23:37
RE: BubbleDS: a Control Point for Android 2.1+ (in development)
(2010-10-08 19:44)TomBK Wrote:  There's a good market for any controlpoint that does exactly what YOU want it to do...!

Have we had any such...???

Utopia. Each of us would need a custom software Tongue

KlimaxDS / LP12 / KlimaxK / Klimax350A
SneakyDS / Komp104 / Akurate226
I [i]Love[/i] DS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-10-11, 20:51
Now I just need a phone that runs Android 2!

MDS-I -> ADS/D -> KK/D -> A4200/D -> K110s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-10-12, 08:12
(2010-10-09 23:37)Daria Wrote:  Utopia. Each of us would need a custom software Tongue

You mean a Kustom Kontrol Point?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2010-10-12, 19:20
Thank You so much for your work so far, Bubbleguuum. The interface looks as simple as it needs to be and I think the buttons along the top of the screen fit very well with other Android apps' design. Also happy to be a beta tester if you need any more. Some detail on how you have set it up would be nice and Juke Box Selection (as in Asset) somewhere in there would be wonderful if that is at all possible. Your timing is impeccable, with the release of Android tablets being timed by a few big names for just before the Festive Season.

[font=Arial][size=xx-small]Akurate DS/0 Dynamik|Majik Kontrol|Akurate 2200 |Custom 106C|Komponent 120|Netgear GS116|Linn Silvers|K20 Loudspeaker Cable|HP EX495 WHS|Asset uPnP|Kiko in Sitting Room[/size][/font]
2010-10-15, 08:13
If you do the same good work as on foobar upnp you have 1 customer already.
2010-10-15, 18:19
Really waiting for the beta and the the final one...

HTC Desire user

Klimax DS/1, Krell KRC-HR, Halcro DM68, Martin Logan Summit X, PS Audio PPP, Nordost Valhalla IC and speaker cables
2010-10-24, 18:11
Bubblegum - I would buy it for my HTC Legend!
BTW There is an article in this months PC PRO Issue 194 (purchased on 16\10\2010 but dated December 2010) on page 132 by Jon Honeyball.
It is called "Advanced Ripping" and mentions Linn & dbPowerAmp.
2010-11-07, 00:41 (This post was last modified: 2010-11-07 00:45 by bubbleguuum.)
I've made good progress on BubbleDS -
still a few bugs to fix and it's good for a public beta (in a few days).

Here some current screenshots showing some variations of the light and dark themes (of course the icons for the tabs will be changed Smile )

[Image: bubbleds1.png]

[Image: bubbleds2.png]

[Image: bubbleds3.png]
2010-11-07, 02:22
(2010-10-08 01:48)EMM Wrote:  I'm sure there is a good market for this control point.

The past 6 months, more Android phones have been solved in the USA compared to Apple of Blackberry. See enclosed chart.

Don't get too excited about those numbers. Most of those phones have not been 'solved' but are cheap placeholders given away by Verizon to replace even worse crap like LG's embedded phones. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new CDMA iPhone is sold next year by Verizon. Currently the Verizon network acts as a walled garden for Android because there is no iPhone to compete against. Outside the US Android is struggling because it competes directly against the iPhone.

Microsoft entering the ring again with WP7 could spell trouble for Android. Not by achieving any success on its own but by acting as a third party candidate to erode the anti-iphone sentiment which has been focused on Android. Windows Mobile was crap but Android seemed to deliver a competitor that PC and Microsoft fans felt comfortable rallying around in their hate for Apple. Unfortunately Google has done a poor job in actually delivering a great platform, largely because they have no experience in building or maintaining a platform.

The core strengths of Android are supposed to be its openness and status as a freely available operating system. But those aspects are also its core flaws.

When adherents talk about Android’s market share, they forget that Android isn’t a product, it’s a technology portfolio. Android’s popularity doesn’t benefit Google in the way that Windows made Microsoft extremely rich. Google gives Android away, and in some cases pays hardware makers to use it. Pointing out that lots of phones being sold use Android is like saying that a large number of smartphones are black. So what?

As soon as white or silver or woodgrain becomes more fashionable, devices will shift. The same applies to their core OS. The problem for Google is that, unlike Microsoft, it has done little to establish Android as a de facto standard or necessary piece of the puzzle. Had Google pushed a strong, centralized UI the way Microsoft did for Windows, at least customers would begin to recognize “Android” as something they thought they needed. They do not today.

Microsoft’s unification of branding, UI, and APIs meant that PCs couldn’t really be sold without Windows. Today, anyone can put together their own OS and deliver a phone, just as Palm/HP, Nokia, Samsung, and RIM’s Blackberry are doing. Google hasn’t established a strong platform, it just co-opted Java and made a half-hearted attempt to set up an app store that hasn’t achieved the same sort of industry-changing influence as Apple has.

Partly, that’s because Google isn’t catering to customers who actually want to pay for things. It’s attracting users who don’t want to pay for anything, and want the freedom to bootleg and hack. That demographic is not really attractive to commercial development for obvious reasons.

There’s no reason preventing Motorola or HTC from shifting to another operating system once Android begins to lose its allure, just as there was little holding either back from switching from Windows Mobile to Android a couple years ago.

Also, don't get me started on Android fragmentation!

Try to remember all this when you claim that there is a "good market" for an Android control point.

My advice to uPnp control point developers would be to concentrate on the best current platform, iOS, and to compete with Plugplayer, Chorus, Songbook etc. and provide the best possible solution on that platform. After all, there is still much room for improvement at the moment!
2010-11-07, 08:32
Will you enable as well a version for tablet using the bigger screen size?