Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-28, 07:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Linn..an expensive disappointment?

Linn..an expensive disappointment?
2010-11-16, 11:50
RE: Linn..an expensive disappointment?
Chris, thanks for your input. So this would suggest that there is a bias towards a Windows based system for the DS. Throughout this thread and others I hear of many people utilising Mac products to enhance their systems. I have been on the factory tour and an iPad was used to demonstrate the Sneaky DS. I am also hearing from other replies of the difficulties in setting up a DS system for the Mac.
There are obviously a great deal of members here who would disagree with your 'wooly womb' comment. Ultimately would this not put off Mac users buying a Linn product?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-11-16, 12:07 (This post was last modified: 2010-11-16 12:17 by ChrisJ123.)
(2010-11-16 11:50)JGillies Wrote:  Chris, thanks for your input. So this would suggest that there is a bias towards a Windows based system for the DS. Throughout this thread and others I hear of many people utilising Mac products to enhance their systems. I have been on the factory tour and an iPad was used to demonstrate the Sneaky DS. I am also hearing from other replies of the difficulties in setting up a DS system for the Mac.
There are obviously a great deal of members here who would disagree with your 'wooly womb' comment. Ultimately would this not put off Mac users buying a Linn product?

It is not my job to market DS's to anyone, Apple fans or Windows fans. The only point I am making is that Linn must have taken a look at the PC market, noted that the vast majority were IBM compatibles, and quite sensibly concentrated on that market first.

IMO, an Apple owner whingeing that it just does not work is akin to someone buying a diesel car and then whinging that his car doesn't run on petrol.

In 2008, when I bought my ADS, I did my homework, bought the ancilliaries Linn recommended, set it all up as per the Linn instructions, and guess what, "it just worked". And has continued to do so flawlessly ever since.

And the fact that an iPad can be used to run a DS just shows the advantages of staying open source. A DS can be controlled from an iPad, a PC, iPods, Nokia devices, squeezeboxes.....

I personally use either an iPod running Kollector or a Samsung QI running Kinsky Desktop.

And, incidently, I am no IT guru. The network I set up for the DS was my first foray into the world of networking.
2010-11-16, 12:44
Exactly, but its now 2011 and I think Apple have now got quite a bit of the market share.
Not whingeing my friend, just making a small observation as a consumer.
2010-11-16, 13:05
(2010-11-16 12:44)JGillies Wrote:  Exactly, but its now 2011 and I think Apple have now got quite a bit of the market share.
Not whingeing my friend, just making a small observation as a consumer.

Actually, in 2010, Apple's market share has fallen slightly. It can still not break the 10% mark.

Take a look at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/...are_stats/

Windows 91%, OSX 5.2%.

You can hardly blame Linn for prioritising Windows, can you?

Chris
2010-11-16, 13:08
I don't think it's a problem using Apple stuff with a DS. I think I use my Mac to do everything except act as a server.

LP12 (T2 Cirkus Ekos2 Lingo Linto Klyde) Renew DS AK(D) M6100(D) Aktiv109s
2010-11-16, 13:21
Chris, no.
2010-11-16, 13:22
(2010-11-16 13:05)ChrisJ123 Wrote:  Actually, in 2010, Apple's market share has fallen slightly. It can still not break the 10% mark.

Take a look at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/...are_stats/

Windows 91%, OSX 5.2%.

You can hardly blame Linn for prioritising Windows, can you?

Chris

I made the same point to Gilad in another thread about the proportion of Windows vs Mac users, although my own impression is that the 91% of us get far less attention from Linn than the 5% of Mac users.

At least one system supplier has stopped providing KPDA (which I'd prefer to use but is still not stable enough for my liking) and now stocks only Apple-based control points, for which I have no use or liking.

Thus open source seems to be no benefit to me and I'd prefer a simple integrated (wife- and network-friendly) easy to use experience.

Regards...TomP
2010-11-16, 13:39 (This post was last modified: 2010-11-16 13:41 by Keltik Klown.)
(2010-11-16 13:05)ChrisJ123 Wrote:  Take a look at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/...are_stats/

Windows 91%, OSX 5.2%.

That's a completely meaningless statistic in the context of this discussion.

It's how the relative OS proportions are split within the DS-owning and prospective DS-owning demographic that matters. Do the calculation within that context and I reckon you will get a somewhat different result.

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2010-11-16, 13:42
(2010-11-16 13:39)Keltik Klown Wrote:  
(2010-11-16 13:05)ChrisJ123 Wrote:  Take a look at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/...are_stats/

Windows 91%, OSX 5.2%.

That's a completely meaningless statistic in the context of this discussion.

It's how the relative OS proportions are split within the DS-owning and prospective DS-owning demographic that matters. Do the calculation within that context and I rckon you will get a somewhat different result.

But I'll bet that windows boxes still outnumber Apple boxes by a very large margin.

Chris
2010-11-16, 13:52
...but I am sure the majority of these stastistics are based upon business users. It would be interesting to see if the same ratio panned out for regular consumers and equally the ratio between windows/mac DS users.