Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-30, 01:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Major change in the music industry

Major change in the music industry
2011-02-04, 11:42 (This post was last modified: 2011-02-04 11:42 by jeff.uk.)
RE: Major change in the music industry
(2011-02-04 01:08)Briain Wrote:  
SeeDee12 Wrote:...... Ask anyone what is a high end TV, what is a high end car? How about, what is a high end music system "um BOSE right?"

Oh man, now you tell me; anyone here wanna buy a cheap Klimax system?

Big Grin

The sad fact is most people aren't bothered about really good music sound quality in the same way as they get excited about hi def TV..I don't think most people aren't sensitive enough to tell the difference...you can walk into a shop in see straight away the difference in quality between cheap TV's and expensive one's but you have to have a special demontration in a quiet place and be calm and responsive to hear the advantages of really good sound ..most people arn't that interested to do that !
(2011-02-04 11:42)jeff.uk Wrote:  
(2011-02-04 01:08)Briain Wrote:  
SeeDee12 Wrote:...... Ask anyone what is a high end TV, what is a high end car? How about, what is a high end music system "um BOSE right?"

Oh man, now you tell me; anyone here wanna buy a cheap Klimax system?

Big Grin

The sad fact is most people aren't bothered about really good music sound quality in the same way as they get excited about hi def TV..I don't think most people are sensitive enough to tell the difference...you can walk into a shop in see straight away the difference in quality between cheap TV's and expensive one's but you have to have a special demontration in a quiet place and be calm and responsive to hear the advantages of really good sound ..most people arn't that interested to do that !

Linn CD12 /Klimax DS/1... /Stax Omega Headphones /Meridian551 Amp /Ruark Equinox Speakers /Qnap TS119 /Ipad / eLyric /Songbook /Chorus DS...Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-02-04, 11:45
Yes we are more visual than auditory creatures, however, I think the reason why most people can't tell the difference is because most people haven't learned the difference.

We are born unable to see, stand, walk and talk. It takes days before we learn to focus our eyes. Equally all that we can do in terms of appreciating great music and great hifi, being able to tune-dem or active-listen are all skills that we have learned.
2011-02-04, 12:08
(2011-02-04 11:45)Warren Wrote:  Yes we are more visual than auditory creatures, however, I think the reason why most people can't tell the difference is because most people haven't learned the difference.

We are born unable to see, stand, walk and talk. It takes days before we learn to focus our eyes. Equally all that we can do in terms of appreciating great music and great hifi, being able to tune-dem or active-listen are all skills that we have learned.

Yes ..I agree if people were really interested and took the trouble to listen to good systems they would probably buy..but I 've just thought isn't it strange that there doesn't appear to be many ladys interested in hifi?..it sems to be very much a male hobby..I wonder why that is..

Linn CD12 /Klimax DS/1... /Stax Omega Headphones /Meridian551 Amp /Ruark Equinox Speakers /Qnap TS119 /Ipad / eLyric /Songbook /Chorus DS...Smile
2011-02-04, 12:09 (This post was last modified: 2011-02-04 12:15 by UltimateLinnie.)
(2011-02-03 20:47)RobH1 Wrote:  And why is it that VHS to DVD to BLURAY was sold on improvements to quality, and that music has started to go from LP to CD to MP3 and sold on convenience? Why can't the major players in the industry start marketing quality?
ยด
There is a reality out there, and that reality says that a vast majority of the planets population is utterly uninterested in quality, especially when it comes to audio, but also (to a smaller but still significant extent) when it comes to video.

A chinamade world has also tought people that ridicoulusly low pricelevels on anything from powertools to TVs are now commonplace, and everything deviating from that is to be ignored.

Selling carpriced audio in this new world is quite a challange. And the recordcompanies are quite unlikely to present highres catalogs to the miniscule remnant of audio enthusiasts that is still around.

Hopefully i am wrong, but seem to be more likely that they continue to shut down the manufacture and sale of CD and "settle" for the Spotify revenues (and similar projects to come)
2011-02-04, 12:17
And yet women have the most sensitive hearing.

I was recently surprised a female friend not only bought a 46 inch HD TV, she also bought a matching BluRay 5.1 system of similar price to go with it.

If lots of shops around the country/world had pink MSDIs I recon they would move like hot cakes.

Women aren't generally into hifi as a hobby, but they like or love music. It has to be a non-hobby. Hence I think the reason for the Majik, Akurate and Klimax ranges to help make it easier. My friend just pointed at a picture of 8 boxes and said "I want you to order that one" as they didn't have it in the shop.

As you say, people have to take the time and trouble to listen to good systems. They shouldn't have to.

Do you think people listen-before-buying when it comes to iPods?

People just need to be introduced to the brand of Linn as the best hifi in the world. Most buying decisions aren't based on direct experience of the product.

Yes we think and carefully plan what Linn hifi we buy, however there are dozens of other buying decisions we make frequently without doing any of that.
2011-02-04, 12:39
I don't think it's correct to compare the evolution of tv formats with audio.
TV is visual and requires your full attention when watching so inherintly people are going to notice the improvement. HOWEVER with music a majority of people listen as incidental music e.g. down the gym, driving, on the train etc.
Not many people have sessions of just sitting down and listening to the music. I think that's why we're in the minority and the reporductive quality of the music is second to the convenience.

What is frustrating and must be really annoying for artists is that they're creating their masterpieces toiling away for hours in the studio for their work never to be truely appreciated.

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers
2011-02-04, 12:52
I remember hifis of the 1970s having signs on saying things like Home Music Entertainment System.

Now it is about sound and audio.

I also think that listening just to music is something people used to do because the average systems were better then. I remember being young and just listening to music with my parents.

Quality visual entertainment (good films and TV programmes) are emotionally engaging, as is well produced music. However, most of the sound reproduction equipment most people use today isn't engaging so consequently people don't listen to music alone. Unless they go to a concert.
2011-02-04, 13:05
(2011-02-04 12:52)Warren Wrote:  I also think that listening just to music is something people used to do because the average systems were better then. I remember being young and just listening to music with my parents.
I think the real reason was becasue there were only three channels on the TV back then and video recorders were a distant dream Tongue
We certainly used to gather together in the little wong household when I was younger and just listen to music.

Cultural changes and advances in technology have pushed listening to music way down the list of enjoyable things to do Sad

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers
2011-02-04, 14:06
The DVD/Blu-ray side of the media industry has recognised that when you buy a disc you want to be able to view it where ever you wish. A lot of new film releases on Blu-ray are now sold at the normal price with a DVD copy disc and either a code or a 3rd disk to access and download a digital copy. So you have truly portable entertainment in one pack. Blu-ray at home, DVD either in car or on a portable DVD player and a digital copy you can view on a PC that nowadays can come with Dolby Headphone audio.

The music industry could learn from this model and sell a pack with a HiRes 96 or 192/24 DVD-R + a standard 16 or 24 bit CD and a code to download MP3 versions. This would cover all sections of the music listening public as long as they keep the price right like the Video side of the industry is doing.

I would suspect Brain and most folks would be OK about waiting for the disc pack to arrive in anticpation of getting a HiRes version, though the big guys like Amazon could be cute about it and offer a code for the mp3 downloads as soon as the credit card had worked its magic.

regards
Geoff

Klimax DS/1 + frm the darkside: NAC552-NAP500-Kharma Ceramique 2.3s - Orbe SE - K & K (DIY) Phono stage
2011-02-04, 14:14
(2011-02-04 14:06)Geoff P Wrote:  The DVD/Blu-ray side of the media industry has recognised that when you buy a disc you want to be able to view it where ever you wish. A lot of new film releases on Blu-ray are now sold at the normal price with a DVD copy disc and either a code or a 3rd disk to access and download a digital copy. So you have truly portable entertainment in one pack. Blu-ray at home, DVD either in car or on a portable DVD player and a digital copy you can view on a PC that nowadays can come with Dolby Headphone audio.

The music industry could learn from this model and sell a pack with a HiRes 96 or 192/24 DVD-R + a standard 16 or 24 bit CD and a code to download MP3 versions. This would cover all sections of the music listening public as long as they keep the price right like the Video side of the industry is doing.

I would suspect Brain and most folks would be OK about waiting for the disc pack to arrive in anticpation of getting a HiRes version, though the big guys like Amazon could be cute about it and offer a code for the mp3 downloads as soon as the credit card had worked its magic.

regards
Geoff

Great ideaSmile