Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-23, 05:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Major change in the music industry

Major change in the music industry
2011-02-06, 18:50
RE: Major change in the music industry
One problem, is surely lack of accessibility at this end of the market, and with streaming in particular. I recently set up my first Linn, a Majik DS-i, and I'm enjoying my music in a way I haven't since I bought my first separates system as a student, 18 years or so ago. It's awesome.

But I very nearly didn't buy it. I'm reasonably techie, but after reading around I realised the thought that needs to go into setting a streaming system, and the potential need for de-bugging. If all goes to plan it's a doddle, and indeed, I was up and running pretty swiftly. But now I'm trying to iron out niggles with how my music is displayed and I'm driven to distraction. And troubleshooting IT is one of my favourite pastimes.

Think about how Sky+ works. It's so easy to operate that my ageing in-laws who don't use computers find it a pleasure. The user interface is a masterpiece of design and as a result it just works. Of course, Sky have much more control over the user's experience, because it's all in one box and they supply the content.

But if high-end HiFi was as easy to buy and use as Sky, wouldn't it sell more? I think you have to be pretty dedicated to make the effort, or even understand the effort required. And that keeps it niche.

Majik DS-i, Monitor Audio GR10s, Netgear ReadyNas NV+
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major change in the music industry - wordsman - 2011-02-06 18:50