Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-30, 07:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Mac User contemplating Akurate DS

Mac User contemplating Akurate DS
2011-02-07, 22:51
RE: Mac User contemplating Akurate DS
My link had an extra ) character added at the end for some reason. Please try this one:

http://www.linn.co.uk/why_ds_sounds_better

You'll probably also like to look here:

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Wh...o_play_CDs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-02-07, 22:56
Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated.

[color=#A9A9A9]Kuzma Stabi, Stogi Reference, Lyra Argo i, Ensemble Fonovivo;
Linn Unidisk SC (for SACDs); Akurate DS 2;
Lua 4545L (Mullard) tube integrated, McIntosh MA6900 integrated;
AyonAudio GosHawk. Roomtuning, Siltech LS cables & interconnects[/color].
2011-02-08, 01:02
I would say the DS range (particularly the Akurate & Klimax) are superb products, perhaps comparable to the LP12 in terms of innovation and quality. Can’t comment on other Linn kit as we don’t own any …

ADS2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-02-08, 22:48
(2011-02-07 11:30)Granma Wrote:  Hi: I know this has been discussed on and off in this place, but I want to have some more reliable information from Mac users having an ADS before investing the money.

I have all my music on my MacPro on my 2TB User Account in ALAC and iTunes. This is a mixture of 16/44.1 and 24/96 tracks, some of which are digitized vinyl. At present I run a 10m optical TosLink or (rarely) using airtunes (Airport Express) to my old Unidisk SC. AFAIK, however, this introduces problems with clock jitter. The ADS appears to be attractive as it seems to handle jitter very well using ethernet.

I have my MacPro wired to an Airport Extreme and intend to wire (ethernet) the ADS also to the Airport Extreme being a hub. As a control I would like to use my iPhone as I do now.

I see that Linn finally decided to support Mac users also (alas, finally!), but as always, little-tested and proprietary software has lots of flaws for some time.

My questions are:

(1) Are there Mac users out there who have already an experience with Mac setups and ADS? What is the experience?

(2) Does the Linn software (or the thirdparty software) mentioned at Linn's site integrate seamlessly with Macs and with iTunes on Macs?

(3) Can anybody confirm that Linn's use of ethernet solves the jitter problem?

(4) As the ADS has no digital input, how will I be able to connect my Unidisk SC (e.g. when playing disks) to the ADS? Can this be done via the KNEKT options?

Thanks a lot.

Granma,

Your MAC setup is fine, just as you wrote connect the ADS to the Airport Extreme, your MAC with Chorus will work as a Server and a Control Point and in addition you can use a iPad or a iPod as a remote control.
Chorus Beta works out of the box, the whole installation is problem free and it works, I do not see any backup in your setup but I guess you have that under control with a USB and Time Machine.

The Windows people like to think that they have no computer running playing music, but a NAS is a computer and it must be running.
Every Windows/PC user knows that this machine will hang stop and go walk about and after a time of use it get so busy with it self that it hardly let you use it.
Living in an Apple world and all this frustration is past history.

You might want to consider a MAC Mini that you control from your MAC Pro, but if your MAC Pro is always on there is no problem.

The Chorus Beta is just as simple as iTunes you even see the DJ and Genius play lists. If you have a dealer close try to lend an ADS for a weekend and set it up and try it out.
I could not say anything about stabilities over time with Chorus, and I would be precautious with new versions of iTunes.

Personally I think it is about getting access to your music and to keep your hard work safe (ripping CDs) as easy and painless as possible, a lot of Windows people in here are complicating the whole issue just because of the use of Windows, so stay with you MAC and be happy.

Tormod
2011-02-10, 15:34
(2011-02-07 11:30)Granma Wrote:  (2) Does the Linn software (or the thirdparty software) mentioned at Linn's site integrate seamlessly with Macs and with iTunes on Macs?

KinskyDesktop supports Mac OSX Snow Leopard and integrates with iTunes. You can download it from http://www.linn.co.uk/kinskydesktop

David
2011-03-05, 11:49
Hi All,

first off, lots of thanks to all commenters.

Yesterday I got my ADS ... and I love it. A real revelation compared to my earlier TosLink connection to a Unidisk. I continue discovering instruments in tracks where I never knew they existed, etc, etc.

While the hardware is just great, the available software is just desastrous, particularly Linn's. First, the LinnKonfig_Mac_3.10.6.app is ridiculous. It doesn't discover any aparatus on the network and asks "stupid" questions for a Mac user being used to simple GUIs, e.g. do I want to choose en0, en1 or etc etc, instead of clearly stating that I should indicate which ethernet port. Then, instead of quitting, it just crashes.

Second, KinskyDesktop: Near impossible to make it discover my iTunes library and finally a terrible GUI far beyond any other software I know. It also crashes as a response to my quit.

OK, after a lot of further hassles that all together cost me 3 hours of my life time and a lot of money, I get my iPhone control to work with SongBook (not cheap) after having purchased ChorusDS not noticing that this figures as an iPad app and wouldn't load on my iPhone (the beta versions of ChorusDS did not work either). A completely unnecessary expense.

So my conclusion and question: How come such a highly competent company as Linn on the hardware sector seems unable to provide software that works and has an easy and pleasurable GUI for the growing Mac section of DS users? To me this is completely incomprehensible. Is this a consequence of Scottish protestantism according to which life should be sorrow and misery? OK, I withdraw the last sentence.

[color=#A9A9A9]Kuzma Stabi, Stogi Reference, Lyra Argo i, Ensemble Fonovivo;
Linn Unidisk SC (for SACDs); Akurate DS 2;
Lua 4545L (Mullard) tube integrated, McIntosh MA6900 integrated;
AyonAudio GosHawk. Roomtuning, Siltech LS cables & interconnects[/color].
2011-03-05, 12:46
Hi Granma,

1) Are you actually up and running? - Can you play music!? Or Not!?

If not then I really really do suggest you call a friend who has a Windows laptop and get that around for 1 or 2 hours... (Or your dealer!!!) Get the DS working... then you can look at GUI issues etc!

I mean this in the nicest possible way...

I'm typing this on a Macbook... I've been playing BBC Radio this morning through to my 2nd DS in the kitchen before that a CD ripped this week on the main DS all using a Ipad...

Its all fine on a MAC - ONCE and it ONCE its setup!!
2011-03-05, 12:51
(2011-03-05 11:49)Granma Wrote:  OK, after a lot of further hassles that all together cost me 3 hours of my life time and a lot of money, I get my iPhone control to work with SongBook (not cheap) after having purchased ChorusDS not noticing that this figures as an iPad app and wouldn't load on my iPhone (the beta versions of ChorusDS did not work either). A completely unnecessary expense.

Hi - there are two versions of Chorus - ChorusHD DS for the iPad, and Chorus DS for iPhone/iPod Touch. I now use a 4th gen iPod Touch with Chorus DS and it's absolutely fine.

Mick

Source 1:- LP12-Radikal-Keel-Ekos II-Akiva-Urika
Source 2:- KDS/1-iPad Air-Kinsky-Asset
System:- KK/1/D-KCT/D-Espeks
2011-03-05, 13:12
Granma

I understand your frustration. I´ve used months before I got things up and running, in the good ol´PRE-Chorus times ;=)

I agree with Chimar, if it´s not working try to connect with a PC just to check (just to put things on a perpektive, I do NOT use PC´s, all Mac in my home!)
Or:
Instead of using Linn Konfig you can use Safari!
In Safari you can turn on "Bonjour" (Safari->Preferences->Bookmarks->Check the mark "Include Bonjour" and close the window). In the upper left of your Safari window you should now see a menu called Bonjour. By clicking on that you should now see your DS player, and then you can again click on it´s logo and can make changes from within that.

All I needed to get everything up and running, was to download Chorus 1.0.4 (stable version) from http://web.me.com/sean.harding/ChorusDS/Downloads.html
It should find your DS and your iTunes library with no problems. Chorus 1.1.9B is not stable in MY system, but I know of many who play happily with it.
If you can play music from Chorus on your Mac you can always later on check out the version for the iPhone. Please take one step at a time if you have problems

PS Playing music from my Mac->Chorus 1.04->AirportXtreme router->LINN DS while typing

Enjoy
KK
2011-03-05, 13:27
(2011-03-05 13:12)KnockKnock Wrote:  Granma

I understand your frustration. I´ve used months before I got things up and running, in the good ol´PRE-Chorus times ;=)

I agree with Chimar, if it´s not working try to connect with a PC just to check (just to put things on a perpektive, I do NOT use PC´s, all Mac in my home!)
Or:
Instead of using Linn Konfig you can use Safari!
In Safari you can turn on "Bonjour" (Safari->Preferences->Bookmarks->Check the mark "Include Bonjour" and close the window). In the upper left of your Safari window you should now see a menu called Bonjour. By clicking on that you should now see your DS player, and then you can again click on it´s logo and can make changes from within that.

All I needed to get everything up and running, was to download Chorus 1.0.4 (stable version) from http://web.me.com/sean.harding/ChorusDS/Downloads.html
It should find your DS and your iTunes library with no problems. Chorus 1.1.9B is not stable in MY system, but I know of many who play happily with it.
If you can play music from Chorus on your Mac you can always later on check out the version for the iPhone. Please take one step at a time if you have problems

PS Playing music from my Mac->Chorus 1.04->AirportXtreme router->LINN DS while typing

Enjoy
KK

I did not know about Bonjour services... will have a try later!

I had a mare years ago when I got the DS and found I could not get Konfig to work on the Mac!

Shiny new DS just out of box - no way of working = same as a 5 year old kid at xmas... new toy no batteries NOT HAPPY!!