Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-23, 12:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Best use of two ethernet connections on a NAS?

Best use of two ethernet connections on a NAS?
2011-02-09, 12:49
Best use of two ethernet connections on a NAS?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

What is the best/better way to connect a Linn DS to the NAS, where the NAS has two network connections?

One could have various computer, the DS and the NAS on one network with the same sub-net. You could then set up both connections to be in support of each other for throughput or failsafe modes.

However I'm wondering if there would be any benefit in keeping the DS and one of the NAS network connections on a separate subnet, with the computers used for ripping and other potentially NAS related activities on another subnet.

Any thoughts/experiences to share?

Thanks, Rene.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-02-09, 18:18
RE: Best use of two ethernet connections on a NAS?
It depends what the two ethernet ports on your NAS are for - you would need to report back on the Manufacturer's claims for these two ports. What are they - a mini two-port switch or something?

But my initial thinking is that a NAS with two ethernet ports has been a source of misery for many users. The best thing to do in the absence of any further information is to use the first ethernet port and forget about the second.

Graham
2011-02-09, 18:46 (This post was last modified: 2011-02-09 18:57 by Briain.)
Hi

If it's a Qnap, there are 7 different configuration options (not many switches support the new(ish) load balancing protocol). Look at the help link next to the settings options (on the Qnap web settings page) and it gives an explanation of what each option does. For most folks, the best option is to plug them both into the switch and set them to 'Active Backup (Fail Over)' so they don't appear as two ports and thus confuse things.

Even if it's not a Qnap, there are a few posts on the Qnap forum that will give you ideas and Q/A on more exotic network configurations that folk have tried (or are asking about) and if you do wish to try anything fancy, remember that you can lock Twonky to a single IP address to stop any potential problems with your CP's picking up the IP that doesn't tie in with your DS subnet (lock it via a simple RPC call and you'll see the other IP - and the local loopback - addresses disappear from the Twonky config page).

Examples below show enabling and disabling it:
Code:
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?ip=192.168.96.20
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?ip=
Though you'd obviously have to use your own IP address Smile
Bri
2011-02-10, 03:46
Briain, the long standing bug with Twonky in the presence of two network adapters is very definitely a good old fashioned bug in Twonky, not anything to do with control points.

In the presence of two network adapters, Twonky randomly selects one of them to establish it's own ip address then proceeds to advertise itself at this ip address ON BOTH OF THE NETWORK ADAPTERS. It's been this way for at least four years, but I am glad to hear it can be configured to only use one adapter - didn't realise this wa possible.

Graham
2011-02-10, 07:18
Rene,

I am currently using 2 Ethernet ports on my 439 Pro II. One is connected to my music subnet and serves the music to the DS and the second port is connected to my top level data network where music downloads,etc. are done. In effect, I have separated the music functionality on the subnet from the data management and editing functionality on the top level network. This way I keep the music network clean and unruffled for music.

Alex

Majik DS-I (Davaar 9(4.9.7)), Majik 4100, Silver Interconnect, Majik 109 - Aktiv, K20 Cable, Netgear GS108 and WNDR3700, QNAP TS-439 Pro II (3.8.1), 4 Seagate Constellation ST32000644NS 2TB HDD, Thermaltake backup dock, Twonky 6.0.39 on NAS, Kinsky & ChorusDS on iPod, iPad, & Macbook.
2011-02-10, 07:55
Is it reliable to lock twonky to a single ip address? I would think it is if the ip address is static, but most devices uses DHCP by default. Wouldn't locking to one network adapter be more reliable?

Also, is load balancing really needed for typical household usage? The bottleneck is almost always the ISP. Perhaps it would be simpler to just use one NIC?

2011-02-10, 21:27
(2011-02-10 07:55)stunta Wrote:  Is it reliable to lock twonky to a single ip address? I would think it is if the ip address is static, but most devices uses DHCP by default. Wouldn't locking to one network adapter be more reliable?

Also, is load balancing really needed for typical household usage? The bottleneck is almost always the ISP. Perhaps it would be simpler to just use one NIC?

It's easy enough to assign a fixed ip address by mac address of the device when using dhcp. What kind of router do you have?

Majik DS - Majik-i - LK100 - Aktiv Keilidhs - Ku-Stone Bases - 2 x K400 - Linn Silver ICs - Quadraspire Q4 - HP MicroServer - Twonky - Nexus 7 - BubbleDS
2011-02-10, 22:58 (This post was last modified: 2011-02-11 11:11 by Briain.)
Hi

Static IP addresses

I'm a total fan of DHCP with MAC/IP binding set up in the router; most now have this capability and it gives the best of all worlds, particularly when moving a device to an alien network (I often have to 'unset' fixed IPs before I can access, and thus work on folks NAS's; then remember to put them back to their static IP address again) Tongue

Twonky, RPC and CP

With reference to Twonky, yes, I know about the old issue (on a single port NAS, Twonky advertised itself on both the local loopback address and the server IP address) and I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that it was any fault of the CP; apologies if that's how it reads (I remember DDW having to 'tweak' the early Cara KPDA beta to resolve that very problem). What I was actually intending to convey is that it almost certainly will be an issue if trying to use a dual port NAS on two different subnets, and that if it does (or I should really say, when it does), it can very easily be resolved by 'pinning' Twonky to advertise itself on only the desired IP via that above RPC call (that feature has actually been there for ages; I used it with the early Cara KPDA betas). Doing so causes no problems even if you change the NAS IP; if that happens, it just ignores that setting (on a standard NAS, it'd just start advertising on both the correct IP and the local loopback again, so it wouldn't cause any unforeseen 'access' problems) and you can simply send another RPC (with the new NAS IP address) to update it.

To be honest, I've not tried TMS 6.0.30 on a dual adapter system to see if it behaves any differently (without pinning it to one IP) to the previous incarnations of Twonky, but I do know that the RPC call to tie it to one IP still works fine (I've suggested that to a few folks on the Qnap forum and it has solved any issues with dual port NAS's and 'exotic' network configurations; that maybe implies that it has not changed, but to be fair, that would be a pretty 'unconventional' home network setup). Smile

Strong malt whisky, tab and cool music

The time for all of the above rapidly approaches; in fact, I do believe that it is now upon me: tempus dramit!! Big Grin

Bri
2011-02-12, 17:07
Sorry team, should have been more specific. Its related to the following equipment: Linn Sneaky MDS, QNAP TS-410. As I have a son with an Xbox and an unhealthy desire to eat bandwith I was looking for an option to secure the link between the NAS and the DS without being compromised by the use of other computers etc. I would be thinking of putting the DS and the NAS on a separate subnet with fixed IP addresses. The 410 would allow that. I then still could download (HDTRacks - YES!!) or rip with one of the computers through the other network connection, whilst leaving the music set-up alone.
I wasn't aware of the Twonkey issues re network addresses.......hmmm.
Cheers, Rene.
2011-02-12, 18:13
Rene,

You don't need a separate subnet, you just need to connect the NAS and the DS to a separate switch, which will isolate that traffic from the rest of your network.

Graham