Linn Forums

Full Version: Pure silver interconnects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I happened to stumble across a couple of internet articles praising the merits of pure silver interconnects. The subject of one of these articles was Artisan Silver Cables in the Isle of White (kind of cottage industry, cut-out-the-middle-man direct sales outfit). While I am quite happy with my own particular cables, which I have been using with Linn gear for donkeys' (and prefer to Linn Silvers), I am nevertheless curious if anyone has experience with pure silver cables and Linn.
One dealer told me that silver cables are too bright. Another website said only improperly made silver cables are bright.

I am in the market for a set of balanced cables so very confused about whether to go silver or not.

Considering Linn silver, crystal cable, transparent and kimber.
Linn Silver/Silvers cables do not have silver wire inside, they are just called silver because of the outer cable colour.
Mud
(2012-10-03 14:44)rumnyc Wrote: [ -> ]One dealer told me that silver cables are too bright. Another website said only improperly made silver cables are bright.

I am in the market for a set of balanced cables so very confused about whether to go silver or not.

Considering Linn silver, crystal cable, transparent and kimber.

With a Linn kit, don't bother with other cables. Linn silvers work fantastically well with Linn gear-they should as they were made for them. Mixing and matching cables just leads down the road of confusion. Believe me, I've been there. Other cables may make your system sound brighter etc but in the process you also lose the quality of rightness and coherence. I was using a set of exotic six-nines pure copper Japanese speaker cables for some years, but I was forever chopping and changing aspects of my system as something didn't sound right. A few weeks ago I swapped for some bog-standard K400 cables and the difference was astonishing. It was like coming home, eveything just dropped into place and sounded right.
So experiment if you want to, but save yourself time, and probably money and stick with the Linn Silvers. They are not reassuringly expensive unfortunately! Wink
(2012-10-03 15:39)Auric Wrote: [ -> ]So experiment if you want to, but save yourself time, and probably money and stick with the Linn Silvers. They are not reassuringly expensive unfortunately! Wink
Can't comment about things your side of the pond, but on these shores 1.2m Balanced Silvers are about $520 out the door.Sad
Not if you get the silver cable from the dealer, and the Neutrik plugs, and solder them together yourself Wink On this side of the pond, the Linn XLR connectors, for example, are £90 for a pair of cables. Neutrik HE (which I was told veeery recently have the same internals) cost only £15. In other words, 2-3m pair of balanced silvers can be had for less than factory-made 1.2m pair.

Problem is, you would need to cover the costs of shipping Briain and his small backpack (a.k.a. workshop) over... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin oh, and the cost of alcohol should not be underestimated! Tongue
I had chord Odyssey speaker cable that was silver coated and very bright sounding. My atlas stuff isn't and sounds better imo. I think a combination of Linn amps, B&W speakers and chord cables wasn't a good one! Needed dulling down with the atlases.
So if the XLR connectors are like Neutrik HE are the Phono Connectors like the Neutrik NF2C-B/2? If not does anyone know what else they may be like?
Marc Stager in NYC (http://stagersound.com/silver/intro.htm) makes a very good silver cable for a more than reasonable cost. I have two sets set up with Linn silvers, and they are marvellous. I tried them on a lark almost 2 years ago, since the cost was so reasonable, and they are beyond impressive. I fully endorse their use. Had I already not had a bunch of Linn silvers, I would have all Marc Stagers. They open the music and present a large, beautifully detailed articulation of each note. Try a set, and read the accompanying reviews.
(2012-10-04 00:17)Eldarboy Wrote: [ -> ]Marc Stager in NYC (http://stagersound.com/silver/intro.htm) makes a very good silver cable for a more than reasonable cost. I have two sets set up with Linn silvers, and they are marvellous. I tried them on a lark almost 2 years ago, since the cost was so reasonable, and they are beyond impressive. I fully endorse their use. Had I already not had a bunch of Linn silvers, I would have all Marc Stagers. They open the music and present a large, beautifully detailed articulation of each note. Try a set, and read the accompanying reviews.

Could you clarify where in your system you have used these cables (i.e. between which components)? Did you experience the brightness that others have described?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's