Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA

Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA
2017-12-31, 22:11
RE: Tidal Goes Hi-Res with MQA
(2017-12-31 21:44)Martin H Wrote:  Errrm, excuse me, is this the room for an argument? ? - Monty Python.
‘The duty of rhetoric is to deal with such matters as we deliberate upon without arts or systems to guide us, in the hearing of persons who cannot take in at a glance a complicated argument or follow a long chain of reasoning.’ Aristotle

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-31, 22:14
(2017-12-31 20:54)kelly200269 Wrote:  You, on the other hand, have openly dismissed it without listening to it. OK, so you may have read various pseudo-scientific papers and critiques about MQA, but you’ve based your opinion about MQA without using your ears. And I’m getting tired of saying this, but that makes your opinion concerning the SQ of MQA invalid and unqualified.
Which papers exactly are pseudo-scientific?
If you watch the video that McGillroy posted you will see that 2 scientists, with referrals to a third, come up with the same facts and conclusions in a symposium, that we, it was a team effort, in this thread, came up with over half a year ago. If anything that makes it science.
The pseudo-science would be the papers by MQA.

I do not need my ears to prove it is lossy, I do not need my ears to understand that is just a fancy way to reintroduce DRM and I do not need my ears to understand that it is designed to sound nice.

And I am sure it sounds just that, nice. It is the audio equivalent of a BigMac. I might even like it when I would give it a try. But I chose not to. As a matter of fact, I don't eat at McD either.
That doesn't disqualify me as a foodie, nor does not listening to MQA disqualifies me in any way either.

As for me being a Linn fanboy.. I am pretty sure some people at this forum, and maybe even at Linn HQ think otherwise about that. Linn has made some dubious claims as well, although they haven't tried to hijack the audio industry.

Instead of trying to defend the fake niceness of MQA you should consider buying a Linn streamer, maybe you'll prefer relentness honesty over niceness. You might even really enjoy it.
2017-12-31, 22:19
(2017-12-31 22:11)kelly200269 Wrote:  
(2017-12-31 21:44)Martin H Wrote:  Errrm, excuse me, is this the room for an argument? ? - Monty Python.
‘The duty of rhetoric is to deal with such matters as we deliberate upon without arts or systems to guide us, in the hearing of persons who cannot take in at a glance a complicated argument or follow a long chain of reasoning.’ Aristotle
This is irony at its finest. I am sure that Andy is now laughing his ass off.
Thank you for this.
2017-12-31, 22:54
(2017-12-31 22:19)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-12-31 22:11)kelly200269 Wrote:  
This is irony at its finest. I am sure that Andy is now laughing his ass off.
Thank you for this.
As I said, I’m searching for ‘Dumb & Dumber’ as we speak ‘Tin’. Or should I say ‘Lloyd’ Wink

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-01-01, 01:39
(2017-12-31 21:49)Tin Wrote:  
No it isn't. Smile
Smile Happy New Year Smile
2018-01-01, 09:23
(2018-01-01 01:39)Martin H Wrote:  
(2017-12-31 21:49)Tin Wrote:  
No it isn't. Smile
Smile Happy New Year Smile
Yes, yes it is. Big Grin
2018-01-01, 18:24 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-01 18:33 by dubselect.)
(2017-12-30 22:58)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Really? I thought equipment that can't play MQA jusy played the compromised 16/44.1 version?
I can't say anything about on-line streaming (Tidal, for instance). But I have few MQA files and my DSM "sees" them as 24/48 or 24/44,1.

So I made such a comparison: took original "folded" MQA files, then "unfold" them with a help of SoX resampler (integrated in foobar2000) by using minumum-phase upsampling (to 96/24) and played orignal MQA files, upsampled MQA files and original Hi-Res PCM files (96/24). First I did not hear any significant difference, but later I felt that original Hi-Res PCM files sound a tad better than MQA.

That is all I have for now. I am not planning to buy a whole new MQA capable DAC just to evaluate if there is any difference between "folded" and "fully unfolded" MQA files.

There are definitely many "dark moments" in relation to MQA.

1) We already know (thanks to many people who came forward and provided analysis - spectrograms and other graphics) that MQA files contain UHF noise which is not presented in original Hi-Res PCM files. And MQA decoding does not do anything with it. It still remains there and we can possibly hear it.

2) The other problem is that MQA decoding does not help to restore all the HF-information contained in the original source files. So the files retrieved from MQA "container" does not sound exactly like the original source files.

So these 2 notes explain why MQA fles sound "better/worse" or just "different" according to many audiophiles who where able to compare them to original Hi-Res PCM files.

3) There is a big question why do we need to "unfold" HF-information with a DAC capable of MQA decoding if majority of masters (which are the sources for MQA releases) are 24/96 or 24/88,2. MQA core decoding (with a help of MQA sertified software like Tidal app) already upsamples all MQA files up to 24/96. So there is no "second layer" here, like in case of 24/176,4 or 24/192 or higher.

4) Other even more important question - why do we need MQA decoding at all when we listen to MQA files which are using 24/48 or 24/44,1 source material? In fact it means there is nothing to "unfold" at all.

The last two notes confirm that MQA is all about "right" filtration and nothing more. This means that even standart non-MQA files may possibly sound like MQA "unfloded" files if we apply to them that "right" filter. So one filter applied during software "decoding" and the second one - during hardware decoding (in a DAC itself).

Taking into account the situation with PS Audio who were able to upgrade their D-S-DAC to MQA version with a mere firmware upgrade (now D-S-DAC can play MQA like 24/192), the situation with MQA seems even more complicated. No hardware changes at all! Just a new version of firmware for the renderer (Bridge II)! So this means that we do not really need MQA capable DAC to "fully unfold" MQA files to their original resolution. All the "decoding" can be performed via firmware in a renderer.
So this is one more "dark moment" in the MQA diary.

KDSM (magical 4.19.797), K320A (Latest spec) + Original stands (DIY mod), K345
Accessories: Bertram Cuprio Flow cables; PS Audio P3; Isotek Aquarius Evo3; Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+, Jr. HDSE, Jr.+; Finite Elemente Cerapuc; Auralex SubDude/BabyGramma; Vicoustic Wavewood.
2018-01-01, 18:56
(2018-01-01 18:24)dubselect Wrote:  There are definitely many "dark moments" in relation to MQA.

Looking at MQA I see nothing else.

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2018-01-01, 22:17
(2018-01-01 18:56)matthias Wrote:  
(2018-01-01 18:24)dubselect Wrote:  There are definitely many "dark moments" in relation to MQA.

Looking at MQA I see nothing else.

Matt
Well, they do have the bright blue LED. Like Saurons all seeing eye it brightens everything up IMO.
2018-01-01, 22:46 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-01 22:47 by andy2.)
Personally I don't believe in anything that does not have the Bob Stuart Blue Light of Authentication guiding my path!

AEDSM >Klimax Lp12 > KatExktBox10 >>
Linn Silvers > 4200 / 2x5100 > K400 & K600 > Mk1 242s on Solid Stands
ExktBox Sub > 2xLinn 221