Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-21, 07:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Recommended system

Recommended system
2011-05-28, 16:48
Recommended system
I'm interesting in purchasing another Linn product. I have an akurate system and multiple classic movies. I can't say enough good things about Linn products. Everything is truly fantastic.

I have an older denon system that plays through a house with an eight area speaker selector. I also have a separate amp for outdoor speakers. I'm tired of changing CDs and want to add a linn ds. Here are my options:

1) replace the cd player with a majik ds;

2) replace the denon integrated amp and cd player with a majik ds-I;

3) replace the denon integrated amp and cd player with a majik ds and majik integrated amp; or

4) replace the denon integrated amp and cd player with a majik ds and majik amp (2 or more channel).

Unfortunately for all options, I will still have to use the speaker selector.

Any recommendations?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-05-28, 23:59
RE: Recommended system
8 Sneaky DS's, one connected to each set of speakers?
2011-05-29, 04:19
(2011-05-28 23:59)rowlandhills Wrote:  8 Sneaky DS's, one connected to each set of speakers?

There is really 13 pAirs of speakers, so 13 sneakers would be difficult.
2011-05-29, 08:57
If there are only eight "zones" though, eight sneakies would do, even if some zones have three, four or more speakers....
2011-05-29, 09:32
(2011-05-29 04:19)Harmax Wrote:  
(2011-05-28 23:59)rowlandhills Wrote:  8 Sneaky DS's, one connected to each set of speakers?

There is really 13 pAirs of speakers, so 13 sneakers would be difficult.

Do you require all of them to be controlled separately? If not they could be grouped in the way you prefer and controlled accordingly. A Sneaky is not capable of driving numerous speakers at more than moderate SPL:s, but adding or keeping your present amps and maybe adding a couple of Sneakys for some parts of the installation would sertainly be possible. If it is possible I would by-pass as many of the switches as possible as the tend to deteriorate over time.

The first thing I would do would, as You suggest, to replace the present CD-player with a DS, a Renew DS would give you lots of bang for the buck! You could activate the volume control in the DS and set the current amp to a prefered max level. Any Linn DS would do, but do not hesitate to go for one of the better ones because there is not top notch playback. Much of the musical qualities will be preserved even when using quite modest playback equipment.
2011-05-29, 10:48
What about using a DSI and amplification?

The DSI can run one zone - and in fact, given it's ability to run ay low impedance can actually run several zones in parallel (this is what I do using a QED speaker selector for 2 zones).

Then for nearby zones add an appropriate 2 or 4 channel amp (again, bridging where necessary as I assume your multizone speakers are 8 ohms?).

There are also some spekaer selectors that will allow a lot (up to 5) sets of speakers in a safe mode (keeps the imedance at 4 or above) - asdding one of thjose somewhere would easilty mean you can cover off all your zones.

I'd just get a Majik DSI, one 4 channel amp and maybe a smeaky is you really need to or want aseparate source on one of the zones.

This is very similar ot what I do - and the DSI will also allow you to songcast to any additional DSs. Bonus.

HTH
Smile
2011-05-30, 01:19
Brucey's suggestion is what I will suggest you too. You can use the Majik DSI as a main system (along with the main speakers) and send the tape out from it to your old Denon amp that in turn will take care of the remaining speakers.

Cheers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-06-01, 01:37
(2011-05-30 01:19)katylied Wrote:  Brucey's suggestion is what I will suggest you too. You can use the Majik DSI as a main system (along with the main speakers) and send the tape out from it to your old Denon amp that in turn will take care of the remaining speakers.

Cheers

Thank you all for your input.
2011-06-26, 04:38
(2011-06-01 01:37)Harmax Wrote:  
(2011-05-30 01:19)katylied Wrote:  Brucey's suggestion is what I will suggest you too. You can use the Majik DSI as a main system (along with the main speakers) and send the tape out from it to your old Denon amp that in turn will take care of the remaining speakers.

Cheers

Thank you all for your input.

I now have a majik ds going through the denon amp and it sounds great. I have an eight zone speaker selector so I can play the music in any room of the house. Would the sound be appreciably better my replacing the denon (90 watt per channel) with a majik I integrated amp?
2011-06-27, 00:49
(2011-06-26 04:38)Harmax Wrote:  I now have a majik ds going through the denon amp and it sounds great. I have an eight zone speaker selector so I can play the music in any room of the house. Would the sound be appreciably better my replacing the denon (90 watt per channel) with a majik I integrated amp?

You are using the Denon amp only for the 8 speakers pairs that goes through the speakers selector, right? If so, keep on using the Denon and save the money.

Cheers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user