Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-22, 23:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / Prices

Prices
2012-04-24, 22:09
RE: Prices
FWIW, I have the 24/96 of all the Doors albums, and yes it is worth the lot. But then, I also have the lot on vinyl, so I am not the best source for opinions.Smile

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-05-01, 10:03
(2012-04-23 15:39)Briain Wrote:  As to the pricing, I'd like to hear some official response to my long post earlier in this thread as I think it's wrong to set a single (and very high) price for all HD downloads.

Guess we should assume we've had all the response we're going to get... btw, they're now selling a 44.1/24 album for the same £18.00! There's not even the beginnings of an attempt to price according to content!

N

N

NickP
KEDSM, KEB/Katalyst, 4200s, Keltiks; Furman Elite-16 PF Ei
LP12, Lingo, Ekos, Arkiv-B in storage.

Always buy the very best you can afford, or the cheapest; anything else is a compromise, and compromises seldom satisfy.
2012-05-01, 11:24
Hyperion have recently reduced their prices for hi-res downloads. They're now charging £12.00 for 24/96 and £9.00 for 24/44.1. A CD-quality download is £7.99. Let's hope others follow this example. You can reduce these prices by a further 25% by buying £60 worth of pre-paid download credit for £45.
2012-05-01, 21:22 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-01 21:22 by Keltik Klown.)
(2012-05-01 11:24)simoncn Wrote:  Hyperion have recently reduced their prices for hi-res downloads. They're nsuchow charging £12.00 for 24/96 and £9.00 for 24/44.1...

Hyperion (because of their staunch support of British classical composers along with others such as Chandos, Unicorn-Kanchana, Lyrita etc) are one of my all-time favourite classical labels. I'm chuffed to bits to read this Smile

I'm afraid Linn's pricing is such that at the moment that I won't be buying very many studio master/hi resolution downloads from them. There's some great stuff there but right across the board from 16/44.1 to 24/192 it's expensive.

I remember a few months ago a Linn Records e-mail newsletter trumpeting the fact that they were going to offer Chandos studio master downloads via the Linn Records site. But I have no idea why on earth anyone would want to buy Chandos studio master recordings from Linn when Linn are charging £2 more than Chandos do via their own on-line operation (http://www.theclassicalshop.net).

It makes no sense to me whatsoever and quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Linn are doing themselves a disservice Sad

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2012-05-03, 09:31 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-04 09:56 by NickP.)
(2012-05-01 21:22)Keltik Klown Wrote:  It makes no sense to me whatsoever and quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Linn are doing themselves a disservice Sad

I have to agree; IF it's a new recording, then I'll pay the price - as I did recently, willingly, with Symphonie Fantastique. But paying up to 50% more for Scottish bits - which probably don't even originate from Scotland? When the price clearly bears no relationship to the volume of the download (24/44.1 album for £18)? Or the costs of creating a new work (Decca reissues for £18)?

The feeling of enforced micturation is becoming a real turn-off for me, and Linn's contined absence from this thread - despite Briain's well-argued, temperate posting, speaks volumes.

N

NickP

Always buy the very best you can afford, or the cheapest; anything else is a compromise, and compromises seldom satisfy.
2012-05-03, 14:41
Thanks for all your comments regarding pricing, we are listening! We’ve read everyone’s posts and hopefully this will answer those questions raised.

We believe that Studio Master is the BEST way to listen to music. This is true whether the album was recorded at 44.1/24 or 192/24. The biggest single influence on the music sounding as good as it can is the bit rate, which is why we do not differentiate prices for albums based on sample rate. We simply bring you the music as it was originally recorded – after all it is not really about numbers and file size, but about the true worth of an album in its purest form.

Despite the general perception to the contrary, there is actually quite a high overhead for labels who want to release music in Studio Master quality. Like Linn, much of the music industry is now realising this is an investment well worth making as it is in their interests for their music to be heard at its best. We have been telling everyone how much you, our customers, are behind Studio Master which is why more labels are coming on board and making that investment to make additional Studio Master content available for you.

We understand the various territory restrictions is frustrating, it is for us too. Linn and other websites, HD Tracks for example, can only sell some label content based on the specific contract allowances with that label. In addition certain albums are only licensed to that label to sell in certain territories. We would absolutely love to be able to offer everything to everyone, but in some cases there are historical contracts in place that prevent this and in other cases exclusive contracts with particular digital providers which prevents all content being made available everywhere. We continue to work with our labels to solve this wherever possible, but in many cases their hands are tied.

Briain, thank you for saying that you don’t mind paying a little extra for Linn’s fantastic service! We have always tended to have slightly higher prices than elsewhere and it is because we want to provide the best service we can. We also want to give back to our artists for the great music they make and are happy that Studio Master means we can pay them better royalties than they would receive from Spotify. We are very keen on re-investment to improve our service so that little bit extra we charge is not wasted. It is spent on making the best new music we can and delivering the best web experience.
2012-05-03, 16:15 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-03 16:26 by Briain.)
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  Briain, thank you for saying that you don’t mind paying a little extra for Linn’s fantastic service! We have always tended to have slightly higher prices than elsewhere and it is because we want to provide the best service we can. We also want to give back to our artists for the great music they make and are happy that Studio Master means we can pay them better royalties than they would receive from Spotify. We are very keen on re-investment to improve our service so that little bit extra we charge is not wasted. It is spent on making the best new music we can and delivering the best web experience.

Hi

I do appreciate all of that, and as I say, I am happy to spend a little extra for such a great service, but being self-employed, I simply can't afford to pay £18 for any HD album I'd like to own; that's what I'd define as rather a lot extra and to be honest, it has just pushed me away from using the LR site. I will still buy the very occasional album (for example, if you release something like Portishead or Massive Attack, I will buy some of them immediately) but it would really only be these 'exceptional' albums (i.e. ones I'd listen to a lot). What I just can't get my head around is why something old like that Steely Dan - Gaucho album is £18 in the UK whereas it's available for £11.51 via HD Tracks (if you are prepared to use mildly nefarious ways to obtain it) and that's why I was questioning the model of setting a unitary price of £18 for all albums. If that sort of album was something like £13.50, I would consider buying it (and paying for the exceptional service from LR) but at £18, I'd just go to the Amazon site, buy the CD version and be happy with it (or proxy the HD one from HDT). There's also the issue that the CD version (new) from Amazon is only £5.77 (and even less than that from their third party suppliers) whereas it's £10 for the CD quality download from Linn Records.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + DSP time & phase aligned rear 345 sub
KDS Renew -> Lejonklou Kikkin -> 2250/D -> 212 (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2012-05-03, 16:57
(2012-05-03 16:15)Briain Wrote:  
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  Briain, thank you for saying that you don’t mind paying a little extra for Linn’s fantastic service! We have always tended to have slightly higher prices than elsewhere and it is because we want to provide the best service we can. We also want to give back to our artists for the great music they make and are happy that Studio Master means we can pay them better royalties than they would receive from Spotify. We are very keen on re-investment to improve our service so that little bit extra we charge is not wasted. It is spent on making the best new music we can and delivering the best web experience.

Hi

I do appreciate all of that, and as I say, I am happy to spend a little extra for such a great service, but being self-employed, I simply can't afford to pay £18 for any HD album I'd like to own; that's what I'd define as rather a lot extra and to be honest, it has just pushed me away from using the LR site. I will still buy the very occasional album (for example, if you release something like Portishead or Massive Attack, I will buy some of them immediately) but it would really only be these 'exceptional' albums (i.e. ones I'd listen to a lot). What I just can't get my head around is why something old like that Steely Dan - Gaucho album is £18 in the UK whereas it's available for £11.51 via HD Tracks (if you are prepared to use mildly nefarious ways to obtain it) and that's why I was questioning the model of setting a unitary price of £18 for all albums. If that sort of album was something like £13.50, I would consider buying it (and paying for the exceptional service from LR) but at £18, I'd just go to the Amazon site, buy the CD version and be happy with it (or proxy the HD one from HDT). There's also the issue that the CD version (new) from Amazon is only £5.77 (and even less than that from their third party suppliers) whereas it's £10 for the CD quality download from Linn Records.

Bri Smile

I completely agree with Briain.

'troll
2012-05-03, 17:18
I have in the last couple of weeks downloaded 6 HD albums from HD Tracks by jumping through hoops.
I would really preferred to have made a simple purchase via LR.
But the price difference is such, that I would get 4 albums from LR for the same price as I bought 6 from HDT.
Being able to get 50% more music will steer me towards HDT for now.

Peter
Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Kazoo & Lumin on PC, iPad, Android
2012-05-03, 19:06
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  The biggest single influence on the music sounding as good as it can is the bit rate, which is why we do not differentiate prices for albums based on sample rate.
A 24/44.1 album has a bit rate of 1/4 that of a 24/192 album, so ought to cost 1/4 the price?
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  We simply bring you the music as it was originally recorded
I started this thread to draw peoples' attention to the big difference in price between Linn's and HDTracks' offering of a reissue of an anologue recording, so what you say here isn't really applicable.
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  – after all it is not really about numbers and file size, but about the true worth of an album in its purest form.
Is the album "worth" 2/3rds the amount in the USA compared to the UK? Because that's what under discussion in this thread.
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  Despite the general perception to the contrary, there is actually quite a high overhead for labels who want to release music in Studio Master quality.
... which is incurred once, before the work is offered through different outlets at greatly different prices...
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  We understand the various territory restrictions is frustrating, it is for us too.
Especially when we can see that others can pay 2/3rds the price for exactly the same thing!
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  Linn and other websites, HD Tracks for example, can only sell some label content based on the specific contract allowances with that label. In addition certain albums are only licensed to that label to sell in certain territories. We would absolutely love to be able to offer everything to everyone, but in some cases there are historical contracts in place that prevent this and in other cases exclusive contracts with particular digital providers which prevents all content being made available everywhere. We continue to work with our labels to solve this wherever possible, but in many cases their hands are tied.
This misses the point; yes, of course we would like to be able to buy things we're currently supposed not to get, but to make available at a 50% premium is not what's being sought, here!
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  We have always tended to have slightly higher prices than elsewhere and it is because we want to provide the best service we can.
£18 v. $18 is hardly "slightly".
(2012-05-03 14:41)CJMUSIC Wrote:  Studio Master means we can pay them better royalties than they would receive from Spotify.
Many comments on this thread make it clear that the price of a new work is not too great a problem, for exactly this reason. But for a 30-year-old recording? A 50% premium on what it's sold for elsewhere?

But, once more, at the risk of seeming overly repetitive: we're discussing reissues. Costs of production have long-since recovered; from what one hears from artists, residual royalties are insultingly low, so the actual costs are trivial compared to the creation of a new work.

I feel that the approach taken by CJMusic applies much more to a physical product that to a download. A physical product has significant (and I don't mean "substantial"; I mean "clearly non-trivial") marginal cost in getting it to my door; I accept that a better product probably costs more to produce, and definitely costs more to develop. But a studio master? Forgive my naivety, but... studio... master... Surely, the clue is in the name? Unless I've really misunderstood, isn't everything else produced from the studio master? So work is done on a studio master to produce a 16/44.1 product, why therefore would seem to cost more (though less to store and deliver) than the studio master!

Let's compare these policies to a virtually identical product: downloaded software. In effect, we are saying
1) Why should I pay an inflated price for an upgrade to a product I already have?
2) Why does my upgrade cost 2/3rds the price in the USA? It really costs no difference to transmit from anywhere in the world.

N

NickP