Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-23, 00:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Forum and Community Feedback v / Proposed Forum Re-Organisation

Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
2017-07-19, 09:15
RE: Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
may be not what the OP has asked for, but I recommend an alternative forum software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_(software)

this software is responsive (good readability on different end points like tablets and smart phones) and reactive (you can see what has happend since you last visit without pressing "reload")

an example how this could look like: https://community.roonlabs.com/

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-19, 09:23
(2017-07-19 09:15)fschmeis Wrote:  may be not what the OP has asked for, but I recommend an alternative forum software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_(software)

this software is responsive (good readability on different end points like tablets and smart phones) and reactive (you can see what has happend since you last visit without pressing "reload")

Yeah we've been looking into a change for a while. Discourse is top of the list.

It's not a simple task though, and porting all existing content and user accounts will take particular care and planning.

Anyone else have an opinion of Discourse? Seems like the best of the bunch to me.

Jim
2017-07-19, 09:26
I'd also be interested in everyone's thoughts on having a separate forum dedicated to support and troubleshooting.

Would that be desirable and more helpful?
2017-07-19, 09:34
Just having a look at the roon example of Discourse. I'm not so sure tbh. It could be I'm so used to MyBB, which at the end of the day does the job very well, but Discourse does seem a bit too - how to say it - "social-media". Like twitter feeds and the like. But then I'm an old(ish) fogey Wink

Yes, a separate forum for Support and Troubleshooting. Without it, the Ask A Question would probably be used and could become unmanageable.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-19, 09:35
(2017-07-19 09:23)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 09:15)fschmeis Wrote:  may be not what the OP has asked for, but I recommend an alternative forum software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_(software)

Yeah we've been looking into a change for a while. Discourse is top of the list.

It's not a simple task though, and porting all existing content and user accounts will take particular care and planning.

Anyone else have an opinion of Discourse? Seems like the best of the bunch to me.

Jim

Will take a longer look later but at first glance I wasn't sure what the additional features of discourse are. Is it easy to summarise? It has multi-colour menus but ????
2017-07-19, 09:37
(2017-07-19 09:35)Martin H Wrote:  Will take a longer look later but at first glance I wasn't sure what the additional features of discourse are. Is it easy to summarise? It has multi-colour menus but ????

You really have to use it to see the benefits. Don't think it's all visual.

I use the Maidsafe Forum quite a bit, which is Discourse based, but with a more simplified structure.

Jim
2017-07-19, 09:41
(2017-07-19 09:34)timster Wrote:  Just having a look at the roon example of Discourse. I'm not so sure tbh. It could be I'm so used to MyBB, which at the end of the day does the job very well, but Discourse does seem a bit too - how to say it - "social-media".

Yes, a separate forum for Support and Troubleshooting. Without it, the Ask A Question would probably be used and could become unmanageable.

I wonder if we could do a have a Beta period with a new forum software running in parallel to see if it will be suitable for our needs?

We could run a separate fresh support forum on it for a time, to evaluate perhaps?

Jim
2017-07-19, 09:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 09:59 by Donald.)
(2017-07-19 09:41)Jim Collinson Wrote:  I wonder if we could do a have a Beta period with a new forum software running in parallel to see if it will be suitable for our needs?

We could run a separate fresh support forum on it for a time, to evaluate perhaps?

From experience I've noticed that a lot of Forum users will Post Support questions on the assumption that they will be answered by Linn themselves - we know that you don't have the staff or resources to do this on every occasion? The responses from a number of dedicated Linn Staff, however, are far more frequent, detailed and helpful than any I've seen on other Forums

If you "run a separate fresh support forum" what then would be the purpose of Colin on helpline@linn.co.uk ?

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-19, 09:53
(2017-07-19 09:26)Jim Collinson Wrote:  I'd also be interested in everyone's thoughts on having a separate forum dedicated to support and troubleshooting.

Would that be desirable and more helpful?

They need to be in separate sections but not too clear on benefits of separating out into a different forum. Won't that just mean that users have to go to 2 places to see new posts/info?

After a career of changing things the one thing I learnt the hard way is that you need to be clear about what is good and bad about what you have today and how it's is being used and start from that. This doesn't preclude radical solutions but otherwise you will find you spend a lot of effort and realise you have a prettier and different solution but the same problems, or worse still, more problems Sad

That list would have to be from the user and Linn's perspective. I.e. It needs to be manageable and useable. I know this obvious and grandmother egg territory but 'what problem are you trying to solve is the key here'.
2017-07-19, 09:54
(2017-07-19 09:48)Donald Wrote:  If you "run a separate fresh support forum" what then would be the purpose of Colin on helpline@linn.co.uk ?

Colin and the Helpline Support Team are always there for you, regardless of channel. Online, offline; where ever. But they do only work office hours, an often the community can give quick solutions to nuanced problems on top of the support that Helpline provide. And of course, Colin does frequent the forum too Wink

The separate forum would be for a beta period to evaluate the software. If the community gives it the thumbs up, then the existing forum could be folded in.

Jim