Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-23, 00:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Forum and Community Feedback v / Proposed Forum Re-Organisation

Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
2017-07-19, 10:17
RE: Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
I can't remember ever seeing Colin here, so I assume he's using an alias (hi there Colin!).

I only use the 'view today's posts' view, so I don't care much for the labels on the forums. So that's my 2 cents for you.

PS who can I bribe for Katalyst ADSM or a very very very cheap KDSM? ?

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-19, 10:34
(2017-07-19 10:17)Tin Wrote:  PS who can I bribe for Katalyst ADSM or a very very very cheap KDSM? ?

Bank manager?
2017-07-19, 10:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 10:38 by Dave W.)
(2017-07-19 09:54)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 09:48)Donald Wrote:  If you "run a separate fresh support forum" what then would be the purpose of Colin on helpline@linn.co.uk ?

Colin and the Helpline Support Team are always there for you, regardless of channel. Online, offline; where ever. But they do only work office hours, an often the community can give quick solutions to nuanced problems on top of the support that Helpline provide. And of course, Colin does frequent the forum too Wink

The separate forum would be for a beta period to evaluate the software. If the community gives it the thumbs up, then the existing forum could be folded in.

Jim

Having worked in the health sector in the UK and seen many ineffectual,or plain useless implementations of software, I think an evaluation period would be very sensible.

At least it seems everyone involved in this is a "user" and not an outside "expert"

KDSM3/Aktive Akubariks/Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM/PMC DB1
2017-07-19, 10:42
(2017-07-19 09:26)Jim Collinson Wrote:  I'd also be interested in everyone's thoughts on having a separate forum dedicated to support and troubleshooting.

Would that be desirable and more helpful?

Yes very much so! Please separate Beta from General Support.

Other than that I find the proposed forum structure very agreeable.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-07-19, 10:46
(2017-07-19 09:54)Jim Collinson Wrote:  Colin and the Helpline Support Team are always there for you, regardless of channel. Online, offline; where ever. But they do only work office hours, an often the community can give quick solutions to nuanced problems on top of the support that Helpline provide. And of course, Colin does frequent the forum too Wink

The separate forum would be for a beta period to evaluate the software. If the community gives it the thumbs up, then the existing forum could be folded in.

Noted - thanks.

Happy to help with any evaluation of course.

One area I've always had trouble with is FAQs and links to http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Products - these can go quickly out of date or become superseded.

In relation to yuor proposed new structure I note that there is a section called Hi-Fi Separates and Components which relates to "Looking for advice on Amps, Speakers and other components like CD players? We’re here to help." Where do you propose to put questions/discussions around components such as NAS boxes, Network Switches, Routers, Cabling etc.

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-19, 10:50
(2017-07-19 09:26)Jim Collinson Wrote:  I'd also be interested in everyone's thoughts on having a separate forum dedicated to support and troubleshooting.

I'm not sure, would be a lot of duplication I guess. A sub-forum could make sense with a structure by product. Alternatively a problems section underneath every product.

Either way it will be partly redundant and more importantly users, particularly new users will ask their questions all over the place anyway Big Grin

Bottomline I would probably rename the FAQ section FAQ and trouble shooting with a sub forum FAQ ( e.g. Guides to setup things) and a subforum 'trouble shooting' with a structure by product.

BY
2017-07-19, 10:52
(2017-07-19 09:53)Martin H Wrote:  They need to be in separate sections but not too clear on benefits of separating out into a different forum. Won't that just mean that users have to go to 2 places to see new posts/info?

Some have suggested that a separate forum for support would be helpful as it could be moderated in a different way (to reduce threads going off-topic or being hijacked), or even have different functionality, such as Stack Overflow style features, where the most useful answers float to the top.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the approach of this being in a separate forum, under a different url, as we could be in danger of splitting the user base as you point out.

This is where a separate sub-section in a combined forum could work, allowing for a combined user base and location, but with things moderated slightly differnetly depending on the section.

But this raises questions of categorisation and forum structure:

i.e. should the structure be:

Product Category > Support | Discussion

or

Support > Product Category
Discussion > Product Category

And this is where, perhaps, more up-to-date forum software could be helpful. Allowing tagging, sorting, and other more malleable forums of catagorisation and moderation, but with a combined user base and single location.

Discourse would fit the bill for this. But it may be sensible to try it out... hence the suggestion of a separate parallel forum for a period.

Jim
2017-07-19, 10:54
(2017-07-19 10:50)Baba Yaga Wrote:  

I'm not sure, would be a lot of duplication I guess. A sub-forum could make sense with a structure by product. Alternatively a problems section underneath every product.

Either way it will be partly redundant and more importantly users, particularly new users will ask their questions all over the place anyway Big Grin

Bottomline I would probably rename the FAQ section FAQ and trouble shooting with a sub forum FAQ ( e.g. Guides to setup things) and a subforum 'trouble shooting' with a structure by product.

BY

I don't think 'by product' is a good idea, there is so much commonality between them. By technology though (SO, Exakt, DS etc) is, and is already proposed.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-19, 10:56
(2017-07-19 09:37)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 09:35)Martin H Wrote:  Will take a longer look later but at first glance I wasn't sure what the additional features of discourse are. Is it easy to summarise? It has multi-colour menus but ????

You really have to use it to see the benefits. Don't think it's all visual.

I use the Maidsafe Forum quite a bit, which is Discourse based, but with a more simplified structure.

Jim

I am using roon and LINN forum for appr. 1 year in parallel, discourse is like moving from CD player and Kairn to KEDSM with KEB/1Big Grin

to say it the other way around: like "just listen" => "just use it"

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2017-07-19, 10:56
(2017-07-19 10:46)Donald Wrote:  In relation to yuor proposed new structure I note that there is a section called Hi-Fi Separates and Components which relates to "Looking for advice on Amps, Speakers and other components like CD players? We’re here to help." Where do you propose to put questions/discussions around components such as NAS boxes, Network Switches, Routers, Cabling etc.

Those discussions would go in the Network Music Players and Music Streamers forum.

Effectively Network Music Players and Music Streamers maps to the existing Linn DS forum, and Hi-Fi Separates and Components to General Hifi.