Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Uncompressed FLAC

Uncompressed FLAC
2012-09-01, 13:30
RE: Uncompressed FLAC
(2012-09-01 11:30)Aurumer Wrote:  Hi bbrip,

I completely agree with you.

Whenever I think I here differences between formats or Firmware, I do a prober blindtest and never could confirm any changes in sound.
I remember that this is the same result, as with the last Firmware blindtest at the Linn factory.

I'd say it's just a matter of psychology ;-).

Psychology works both ways - whilst the effect of expecting something to sound different can indeed lead to the perception that it does indeed sound different, the expectation that something will not sound different can lead to the perception that it doesn't...

...i used my ears on Wednesday - there are VERY noticeable differences..

...i used my ears Yesterday - again - VERY noticeable...

...there were 4 people in the room on Wednesday - playback was via a Kiko - all present are very familiar with tunedem...all heard the clear differences (and improvements) of uncompressed.

...as i've said - there are a number of Linn Staff who have noticed this improvement...perhaps i'll drop some names, but i'd rather they spoke up!

By the way - i've never been a subscriber to the this firmware sounds different to that firmware school of thought.

But with Uncompressed FLAC the differences - and all CLASSIC tunedem improvements - are there for all to hear. Worth another try i'd suggest.

Source: Klimax DS/1, Sneaky DS, Denon DVD-A1UD

Control: Klimax Kontrol/1, Denon AVP-A1HDA

Playback: Klimax Solo/1, Klimax 350P, Klimax 340A, Custom 2K 106C, Monitor Audio GXFX, Denon POA-A1HD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-09-01, 14:03
The trick here is to do something like ABX.

We did AABBX at Linn got no consistent results.

Cymbiosis Klimax LP12 SE - Karmen Kandid, Radikal/1M KDS/1 KK/1 Solos/1 K200 242/1
Kisto, AV 2250/d, Komponent 104
2012-09-01, 14:16
(2012-09-01 14:03)Warren Wrote:  The trick here is to do something like ABX.

We did AABBX at Linn got no consistent results.

I'm sure I can persuade my dealer to run an evening event to do just this If there was sufficient interest and confirmed attendees...

...I reckon I could also get Linn there too...

...would be in the North of England

Playback: Klimax Solo/1, Klimax 350P, Klimax 340A, Custom 2K 106C, Monitor Audio GXFX, Denon POA-A1HD
2012-09-01, 14:44
This forum just cracks me up - one thread people debate about not hearing the difference between 192/24 vs 44/16 but now we hear the difference of uncompressed vs compressed.

Really? Ok time for some more spam on my toast and I shall read on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1: KDS,KK,SME20/2A w/Akiva, Uphorik, Exakt 350A, Transparent Reference XL Cables
#2: LP12 40th Aniv.,KDS,Unidisc 1.1,KK Solosx2,Kremlin,LP12, Wilson Duette 2,JL Audio F113, Transparent XL Cables
#3: Klimax Renew, Klimax Chakra twin, Akurate Pre, Majik 109s, Akurate Sub
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-09-01, 15:36
I'm always up for trying something new but I don't know how to make my flacs uncompressed. I usualy rip cds on level 8 on dbpoweramp but have no idea how to turn them in to wav or uncompressed flac. Help please!

Renew DS, John Wood Tube Pre, 2 x Krell KMA, Wilson Benesch Vectors,WD Live
2012-09-01, 21:00 (This post was last modified: 2012-09-01 21:02 by bbrip.)
(2012-09-01 14:44)SeeDee12 Wrote:  This forum just cracks me up - one thread people debate about not hearing the difference between 192/24 vs 44/16 but now we hear the difference of uncompressed vs compressed.

Big Grin

yep, hearing the growth of the grass soon to be added as a key feature
2012-09-01, 21:40
One thing all of you have forgotten is that the network doesn't send 'clean' data to a DS. It's packed in a network protocol data packet that consists of a number of layers.

So when considering the inflation of flac files you have to remember the extraction of the data from the network packets. So if flac 5 is half the size of uncompressed flac that means there are more than twice the amount of network packets to strip, this has to be done by the network hardware and software in the DS.

So while a flac with compression takes processing time it takes less network protocol handling, this still has to be handled by the DS.

Enjoy your tests and abx tests. I prefer to drip heavy water on my system as it gives me that hydrophobic realism that other types of water can't.
2012-09-01, 22:06
Sorry but I can't see how there could be a difference. The data fed to the DS is the audio data. If you are ripping from a CD this is unchanged from the perfect audio data.

Any lossless codec would do the same. If you looked at the data being fed to the DS from FLAC or WAV files would be exactly the same as far as I can see.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2012-09-01, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 2012-09-01 22:53 by MattC.)
(2012-09-01 21:00)bbrip Wrote:  
(2012-09-01 14:44)SeeDee12 Wrote:  This forum just cracks me up - one thread people debate about not hearing the difference between 192/24 vs 44/16 but now we hear the difference of uncompressed vs compressed.

Big Grin

yep, hearing the growth of the grass soon to be added as a key feature

Is the Klimax DS better than the Akurate DS? ....ask yourself why?

...what it will come down to is a short list of relatively trivial things - that added together make a significant difference to the sound - each one of these trivial differences in isolation can be ridiculed (what? ...that material of the CASEWORK improves the sound? ...how can that possibly be true?? ...surely its just bits and bytes...!!) but ACTUALLY do affect the sound...and not just when the music enters the analogue world...

...it seems that there are a group of enthusiasts on here who are inconsistent in their outlook - on one hand saying "digital is digital and its just bits and bytes" and yet on the other recognising the exterior factors (eg casework on the KDS, Silver Cables rather than Black, Dynamic Power Supplies) that make a difference to the sound of the DS...

...so make your minds up...

A squeezebox will decode a FLAC (compressed of otherwise) in exactly the same way and with the same results as a KDS - so why don't we all have Squeezeboxes? ....could it be because Linn "Tweak" every aspect of the KDS to produce a better sound than the Squeezebox?

...i think its PERFECTLY plausible that the variable processing overhead of decompressing a FLAC file in real time can be create a variable output - and indeed introduce jitter - because there are so many external factors - and the fact that this is plausible, added to what myself and a great deal of credible people have heard when taking decompression out of the equation makes it something worth discussing and thinking about rather than simply dismissing.

...theres a much more mature debate going on about these questions over at the Naim (you know Naim - they're the guys who say WAV sounds better than FLAC - clearly just a bunch of druids and wizards) forum... http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForum...3572804064 ...so i'll look at learning from there, rather than being a. ignored by Linn b. insulted by other forum members who have neither facts nor experience at their disposal and c, wasting my time talking to people who have made their minds up without giving it any thought whatsoever.

...but i guess for some people - whether in the analogue or digital world - the earth will always be flat - and minds are always closed - did somebody say this forum was on a downward spiral??

2012-09-01, 22:54
Actually the case work of the klimax range has nothing to do with anything, just a way of branding and pricing.

Don't mention shielding. A simple copper mesh can shield what ever needs to be shielded. Money blinds some times.