Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / LUMIN iPad controller app

LUMIN iPad controller app
2012-11-14, 08:33
LUMIN iPad controller app
I posted this at Computer Audiophile forum some days ago but it seems no one care Controller app there! Please excuse me for reposting here:

Introducing LUMIN, a iPad controller app. The app does not support iPhone or iPod.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumin/id524332800

Some simply usage guide:
http://www.luminmusic.com/app.html

It should work with UPnP AV Media Renderer which supports Linn UPnP AV Extension, aka Linn Mode operation. The LUMIN app does NOT work with a generic UPnP renderer.

For hardware renderer, Linn DS with Davaar firmware. For software renderer, foobar2000 with UPnP plugin, together with BubbleUPnP server to form a openHome renderer.

On a Linn DS, the app will always select the Playlist. LUMIN app does not support other features on a Linn DS such as Radio yet. The app volume control controls only the UPnP AV volume. It does not control a connected Linn pre-amp volume yet.

The app is still in a very early status and many features are not yet implemented. There is bugs and may crash.

LUMIN app will connect to a UPnP media server on the local network to get all the album and song info. The app is primary tested with MinimServer, which is the best UPnP server for music content IMO! LUMIN app may work with other media server, but there may be problem and abnormal behavior!

If you're not using MinimServer, please take a moment to learn about MinimServer and use MinimServer as your UPnP music server. Please check the detail of MinimServer at:

http://minimserver.com

Using LUMIN app, the FIRST time:

On startup, LUMIN app will prompt you to select a local UPnP music library. It will then scan, read, and cache ALL album and song info from the library on to the app itself. This process is only needed on the first time connecting to a new music library.

This process will take some time. On my own library (~2500 albums, ~33000 songs) running on a QNAP 2-bay NAS using MinimServer, the initial loading takes around 6mins. If you have a really huge library, it will take much longer.

After the initial song info loading, you can use the app to browse the library, add song to the renderer playlist and enjoy music. At the same time, the app will keep caching ALL album art from the library on to the app itself. The album art caching process works in background (while the app is running) and does not affect user using the app. On my setup with around 2500 albums and many artwork in high resolution (over 1000x1000 pixels), the caching of all album art takes around 10mins. Since the app caches all album art, it needs some storage space. On my setup, the app takes around 600MB storage space after all song info and album art are cached. Before you run the app, please make sure there is some storage space available on the iPad.

Using LUMIN app, regular operation:

The Top area is the Now Playing. Tap the thumbnail will zoom the cover art to full screen. There is Previous, Play/Pause, Next control. Tap the track time, volume to bring up their control buttons.

The Left side is the renderer Playlist. The bottom has control for Edit, Clean, Save/Load Playlist, and a "now playing" button to auto scroll to now playing song if it is not on the current screen.

The Right side is the browse area. On the top you can group Song by song name, group Album by album name, artist name, genre, year. On the top right, you can switch between "album art", "header list", and "song list" view in group by album name, artist name, genre, year. In group by song name, only "song list" view is available.

There are the "Setup" button. You can select Light or Dark theme of the app outlook. Change "tap to play" from single tap or double tap. Group song in Playlist by album or track etc.

On the right edge, there is a "fullscreen" on/off button. It view switch the browse window between fullscreen/window. Sometime you may want more display area for the brwose window.

When displaying album art in browse window, you can pinch to zoom, change cover art size and number of cover art on screen.

Tap directly on the right edge scroll bar will directly jump to the relative position of the browse area.

In song list view, if "tap to play" setting is at single tap (default), a tap on a song will automatically add the song to the Playlist and start playing the song. If the setting is NOT at single tap, then a tap on the song will highlist the song, and a row of "add song" control will pop up at the bottom. From left to right, the "add song" control are play now (add to the end of the playlist and play the song), play next (insert after current song position in playlist), play later (add to the end of the playlist), clean and play (remove all song in the current playlist, add the song to playlist and play). The "X" button will un-select all selected song. You can tap multiple song to select/un-select songs, then press the "add song" control to play the song(s).

Personally comment:

Finally there is a controller app for me! Well, I helped designing the app so the bias is obvious! Thanks to this wonderful app, I'd listened more music in the past few months more than the past few years (before I covert most of music to file!).

Since most of my cover arts are in high resolution, with a retina display iPad, it looks BEAUTIFUL! Music never looked so awesome!

I understand some will not like the LUMIN app layout, style, or features. But much more is planned and coming!

Feedback and comment are most welcome!

Tips:

There is no "Stop" button, and some like their music at stop instead of pause! While the song is at Pause, press the Previous will Stop the current song.

Attached are some of my iPad screen captures of the LUMIN app on my library. Image downscaled from retina to 1024x768.

[Image: renderer-list.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0128s.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0309s.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0305s.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0297s.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-11-14, 09:07
RE: LUMIN iPad controller app
Looks interesting. Good to see another new control point being developed.
2012-11-14, 10:07
Not bad! Pretty slick looking.
I couldn't get it to control the volume on my KDS/KK... The volume control is just greyed out.

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2012-11-14, 10:08 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-14 10:16 by PaulW.)
Some nice looking features on this. Particularly like the full screen album view, the zoom in and out, and the ability to switch between dark and light background.

2 immediate issues though. Firstly the volume control is not working, I don't even get the control buttons. Secondly, There doesn't appear to be support for the dynamic browsing features available with Assetupnp, or maybe I need to spend more time playing with it.

Only had a brief play, but looks promising. Well done.

Paul.

Edit. Have now discovered that if I change room to bedroom (Sneaky DS) I get volume control. But still not working in main room (KDS). Also, the settings tab below room selection doesn't work.

KDS2 - KK1D - Silvers - KXOs - Silvers - 8 x SolosD - K400 - Killer Keltiks
2012-11-14, 10:11 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-14 10:13 by marcusjb.)
Very slick. Love being able to resize the album cover matrix with a pinch (though see below!).

What format is it looking for cover art in?

I have everything as folder.jpg in the relevant album folder - which is perfect in Kinsky. Lumin is picking up maybe 5% of the artwork - tried scanning the library a couple of times and the same albums get cover art each time. EDIT - using Twonky on my NAS.

It's very good looking though and I wish you well for the development in the future.
2012-11-14, 10:15
Hello psme,

Your application for iPad seems promising and the presentation me please much. I'll try it this evening.

Thanks to you.

Jazz Cool
2012-11-14, 11:29 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-14 11:37 by bbrip.)
Wow - Congratulations!! This certainly looks like the most promising arrival of a new Control Point in a looong time. And you are right: A great looking control point makes music listening just so much more pleasure!

LUMIN loaded my 7500 albums and coverart into coache without any quirk and once that was done (appr. 20min) I got started. And I just love what I see!! Finally an App that understands how important it is for the user experience to have coverart avail INSTANTLY. And thats what you get here after the first load!

Some of things mentioned by other users are mentioned in your memo (lack of volume control etc... - Digital volume works btw.!), multiroom and radio would be nice at some point in time as well - but I am sure this will all roll-out in due course.

As you are supporting minimServer as your preferred server (and I agree with that!) it would also be great if LUMIN could suport more tags. I am missing the ability to browse

- by Composer,
- by Orchestra
- by Soloist
etc.

Browsing by Album Artist is nice but the above is pretty vital for large classical music based collections.

Is this something that will follow in future?

Again please keep it up! There is a desperate need for your product!

bbrip
2012-11-14, 12:45
(2012-11-14 10:07)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  Not bad! Pretty slick looking.
I couldn't get it to control the volume on my KDS/KK... The volume control is just greyed out.

For now LUMIN app controls ONLY the renderer INTERNAL volume control. If the DS has it's own internal volume control enabled, LUMIN app volume control should work. The app DOES NOT (as already stated in the first post) control a connected Linn pre-amp volume. Or the volume of a DSM I guess.

Please use your Linn remote for volume control! Tongue
2012-11-14, 12:53
LUMIN app was inspired by MinimServer! Smile Since MinimServer shows up, I know I (we) need a all new Controller for the new era!

LUMIN app started development at around March I think. This is the first release that I think we can start trying it. I've lots of features and ideas planned. In time I hope we can make this a better ecosystem.

Please keep the comment coming! Smile

PS: the LUMIN is in very beta stage so something may go wrong. Please be patient! For example, I think LUMIN app will crash a lot on a iPad4. Next version should fix that...
2012-11-14, 12:58
(2012-11-14 12:45)psme Wrote:  
(2012-11-14 10:07)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  Not bad! Pretty slick looking.

For now LUMIN app controls ONLY the renderer INTERNAL volume control. If the DS has it's own internal volume control enabled, LUMIN app volume control should work. The app DOES NOT (as already stated in the first post) control a connected Linn pre-amp volume. Or the volume of a DSM I guess.

Please use your Linn remote for volume control! Tongue

Ha. That will teach me to skim read postsSmile

I hope that volume control of the pre-amp is something that you will eventually incorporate.

Paul.

KDS2 - KK1D - Silvers - KXOs - Silvers - 8 x SolosD - K400 - Killer Keltiks