Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP

DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP
2013-05-18, 17:40
DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP
Hi,

Today I am focussed on the DSM concept. I think Linn has again hit the bulls eye with this concept. Apart from Linn's own active speakers you see more and more active speakers come on the market place, some even with DSP's and other fancy options. Speakers like Cabasse, B&M (Backes & Muller), Grimm, ME Geithain and ADAM come to mind.

It seems like the concept for the 2010-2020 era to have one integrated streaming / amplifying concept with two active speakers with room correction. One device, two speakers. I don't have it but I have to admit that I like the idea.

Most of us know about the Devialet. But of course this includes a power amplifier so not really comparable to the DSM's. For the rest I wouldn't know which device competes against Linn's fantastic DSM products. I have focussed mainly on the Akurate and Klimax segment.

Now I have found a device that looks like good competition. The AudioNET DNP.
[Image: 13075622.png]

This device has everything to be competitive with the Akurate and Klimax. With 9600 EUR the price is in between.

Stereoplay has this points category for streamer / pre-amps and here the DNP comes directly under the Klimax DSM.
[Image: 13075930.jpg]

This is the AudioNET website: http://www.audionet.de/

The device is packed with expensive components and the first reviews are very promising.
[Image: 13075992.png]

Here is the test from Stereoplay.
http://ebookbrowse.com/audionet-dnp-ster...d453379530

And for those of you who understand German: this is a one hour review. This guy is really positive. He is trying to find negative points but is not succeeding as it comes to sound quality. He is not too enthusiastic about the control software. That's all.

Again, a promising device!

I hope HiVi user will test this unit or the pure streaming version next to the new T&A and Marantz streamers. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-05-18, 18:52 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-18 18:53 by Rufus McDufus.)
RE: DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP
Can't seem to be able to download the pdf from http://ebookbrowse.com/audionet-dnp-ster...d453379530 at the moment - 'connection reset' all the time Sad
Oh I get it - ignore my stupidity - things aren't always so obvious on a tablet!

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2013-05-19, 07:29
(2013-05-18 18:52)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  Can't seem to be able to download the pdf from http://ebookbrowse.com/audionet-dnp-ster...d453379530 at the moment - 'connection reset' all the time Sad
Oh I get it - ignore my stupidity - things aren't always so obvious on a tablet!
Sorry Rufus, I don't think it's your tablet. This download link is kind of funny. I will send you the PDF in a private message (can you actually attach files? well I'll try anyway)

An interesting feature of the AudioNET DNP is the built-in DSP where you can fully measure your room and compensate or you can have settings / equalization for 4 different channels. This is also interesting for compensating volume levels or other differences for connected digital and analogue sources to the amp.
[Image: 13084303.jpg]

Also interesting for all of you discussing about the network cables. AudioNET recommends and sells galvanically shielded CAT cable. They claim that this technology (which is mandatory in the medical branche) will have a positive effect on the sound quality!
[Image: 13084427.jpg]
2013-05-19, 07:51
I was interested in the AudioNET streamer until I saw these Ethernet cables. By selling fancy cables, they are indirectly admitting that their streamer has design issues.

Why don't we all... just listen?
2013-05-19, 08:04
(2013-05-18 17:40)Glareskin Wrote:  Most of us know about the Devialet. But of course this includes a power amplifier so not really comparable to the DSM's. For the rest I wouldn't know which device competes against Linn's fantastic DSM products. I have focussed mainly on the Akurate and Klimax segment.

I've gone from KRDS & LebenRS100 to my current Meridian 818.2 and haven't regretted that move for 1 second, so there are indeed some more units out there worth checking in this "all-in-one" playfield Wink

The new devialet 170 has my attention as well since they've become much more affordable now, but at the moment they don't offer an easy way of UPnP streaming as far as I'm aware, so that's a no-go for me as things stand right now.
2013-05-19, 21:48
I have changed 6 months ago, after a 20 year Linn history, to this magnificent piece of kit.

I have compared it with my Renew DS and an akurate DSM.

My conclusion it is's streamer is more or less on the same level as the Renew, although it has a more lifelike and puchier sound. The ADSM is no competition, because of the exceptional preamplifier in the DNP.

Because I have a Wilson Benesch Trinity/ Torus ( 2 pcs) setup, the fact it is a 2.2 preamp comes in very handy; the room correction and all the functionalities are very well worked out - with good software. It also has a very goud phono pre.

I must say however that the Linn protocol is still the best. For example when swiching between telephone and laptop; the DS software always is synchronized. This is not the situation with this UPNP based protocol. On the other hand, the DNP software is nicer, with for example a nice volume control with a sweep function everywhere in the app.

The DNP can be upgraded with an external power supply, the EPX. In this situation, it is in the same priceleague as the Klimax DSM. However I have not compared them, I expect them to be on par ( Although the Klimax winns hands down astetically)

AudioNet DNP / Wilson Benesch Circle -> AudioNet Amp 1 V2 -> Chord Signature / Linn Silver -> Wilson Benesch Trinity + 2 * Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic Generator
2013-05-20, 13:11
(2013-05-19 07:51)stunta Wrote:  I was interested in the AudioNET streamer until I saw these Ethernet cables. By selling fancy cables, they are indirectly admitting that their streamer has design issues.

As written in another thread, this has nothing to do with Cable Voodoo and the meaningless discussion about Cat 6 / 7 .
This calvanical isolation is a completely different story, as they say, it MIGHT improve the sound. By keeping the garbage on shielding away from the device.

For the device: Just because it is Audionet it deserves attention. Yet there was no device from them which did not perform amongst the top players around the globe. On the other hand: The price is as well amongst those of top players.

And - as a German - I have the impression that Audionet still stands for the former well known German Engineering, which a lot of other German Brands have already lost by re-packaging and tuning Chinese mass products (which does not make them bad, but "made in Germany" did mean something in the past).
2013-05-20, 18:48
If I weren't already equipped, I would give the Audionet DNP a listen. I really appreciate European manufacturers that still produce in Europe ( like Linn & Audionet)... The DSP in the DNP may be interesting, but one advantage of the ADSM are the Dr. Volk upgrades...

LINN stuff
sources: SneakyDS, Majik DSi, G-ADSM DAC, KDSM/2 Katalyst & Uphorik
speakers: Component 120 & Akurate 225MKII 4sale
cables: black, silver , K400 & K600
2013-05-20, 18:58
Thanks hwe.

I like the fact that the audionet streamer has room correction in the digital domain.

All these top players are terribly overpriced for me. Someone needs to come in at 2-3K and change the game. I'd rather not have the preamp integrated into the source. Any idea how much the DNC costs?

Why don't we all... just listen?
2013-05-20, 19:39
5190 euro's in the Netherlands.

Will probably turn out to be darn close to ADS/1 in sound-quality too.

Louis.

Living-room: Technics SU-R1 - Linn Klimax Kontrol/1 Dynamik - Nord One SE UP NC500MB - Canton Karat Reference 6.2 DC (Denon AH-D7100)
Home-office: Linn Klimax Renew DS/0 Dynamik - ADAM Audio A5X
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user