Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP

DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP
2013-06-01, 18:45
RE: DSM competitor: AudioNET DNP
(2013-06-01 17:54)GuillaumeB Wrote:  How did the demo go?!

Yesterday I have tried the Audionet DNP at Zegel's house. Very nice event with another Linnie in Zegel's stylish old Dutch house with modern interior.

Since his Wilson Benesch speaker/sub combination sound so very different than my 802 Diamonds it was impossible to judge the sonic quality of the DNP. Of course it was good but such different color. However I could understand a lot from description Zegel gave about previous amplifier experiences. Apparently he experienced a lot of troubles to finally get the right amplification for his WB speakers. He started with Linn and since tried Marantz, Octave, Naim, Resolution Audio, Electrocompaniet (correct me if I am wrong) but first found a good matchwith Audionet. His previous amplifications consisted of Audionet Pre1 G3 with AMP I V2. His move to the DNP was a real improvement so the amp section is fine.

For streaming he used to have a Renew DS. This is easy to compare by switching from RDS to the internal Audionet streaming. According to Zegel the Audionet streaming department is easily better.

The only thing that I found is that the DNP is not open for third party apps. Both Lumin and Kinsky didn't completely work which is a pitty IMO. The app that Audionet has does work OK though but only on Android. Of course not with the same ease and clear GUI as Lumin. But the Volume is very sensitive and good. And this is of course the real amp volume control!
[Image: 6446749-1344365807094_312371.jpg]

The only 'negative' I found was that the device becomes very hot. Apparently this is normal for Audionet pre-amps. My big AMP power amps are not getting this hot.

I'll go for it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-06-01, 19:31
(2013-06-01 18:45)Glareskin Wrote:  
(2013-06-01 17:54)GuillaumeB Wrote:  How did the demo go?!

Yesterday I have tried the Audionet DNP at Zegel's house. Very nice event with another Linnie in Zegel's stylish old Dutch house with modern interior.

Since his Wilson Benesch speaker/sub combination sound so very different than my 802 Diamonds it was impossible to judge the sonic quality of the DNP. Of course it was good but such different color. However I could understand a lot from description Zegel gave about previous amplifier experiences. Apparently he experienced a lot of troubles to finally get the right amplification for his WB speakers. He started with Linn and since tried Marantz, Octave, Naim, Resolution Audio, Electrocompaniet (correct me if I am wrong) but first found a good matchwith Audionet. His previous amplifications consisted of Audionet Pre1 G3 with AMP I V2. His move to the DNP was a real improvement so the amp section is fine.

For streaming he used to have a Renew DS. This is easy to compare by switching from RDS to the internal Audionet streaming. According to Zegel the Audionet streaming department is easily better.

The only thing that I found is that the DNP is not open for third party apps. Both Lumin and Kinsky didn't completely work which is a pitty IMO. The app that Audionet has does work OK though but only on Android. Of course not with the same ease and clear GUI as Lumin. But the Volume is very sensitive and good. And this is of course the real amp volume control!
[Image: 6446749-1344365807094_312371.jpg]

The only 'negative' I found was that the device becomes very hot. Apparently this is normal for Audionet pre-amps. My big AMP power amps are not getting this hot.

I'll go for it.

Great report Glareskin! This is a really interesting product and one I am looking forward to hearing.

How would you describe the sonic colour of the Wilson Benesch speakers? I am interested to hear that Zegel struggled a bit to find the right amplification partner to these speakers. What is it do you think about the AudioNet DNP that works so well with these speakers?
2013-06-01, 20:22
(2013-06-01 19:31)GuillaumeB Wrote:  I am interested to hear that Zegel struggled a bit to find the right amplification partner to these speakers. What is it do you think about the AudioNet DNP that works so well with these speakers?

For this, it is maybe good to tell you my audio background.

About 15-20 years ago, I started my first steps in real audio with an Majik-Mimik-Keilidh combo, upgraded with LK 140's and, later to the Genki.

i've also had the Unidisk SC with Ninka's, active at 5125 ; had the Trikan and Katans's + Sizmik with it in a 5.1 setting and was one of the first to buy the Sneaky DS.

So you may say, I suffer from a serious form of upgraditis.

Then, the moment came the majik 140's were announced. Before they were on the market, i had decided to sell my Ninka's and rest of the 5.1 speakers, and buy those 140 - because I always fount the Ninka's to sound to thin to my taste, and wanted to go back to stereo.

But then, the 140 were a dissapointment to me, to boomy and sound not as easy to follow as with the Ninka's. To make a long story short, this was the moment the Wilson Benesch Arc's ( later Trinities) arrived.

But I was a real linnie after all, so I tried ( with Majik DS and later Renew DS on Akurate pre and Majik 4100 amp's ) to find the sound I was after.

Only after I tried a list of amps prementioned by Glareskin, i ended with Audionet. To my ears, the difference is sheer power, unlimited ( micro) dynamics and a more alive sound. Another difference is the wide frequency response, at least to my ears.

And here i come to answer your question; The whole thing with the Wilson Benesch Trinity/ Torus combination is the " wide bandwith idea", with a ( murata) super tweeter, and the Torus complimentary on the low end. And this is why they match so good. With Linn amplification ( and many other brands) i couldn't get this go alive.

But, it's probably a matter of taste. So many people are raving about devialet, but I do not understand this as it sounds thin to my ears and you constantly have the feeling you are not involved in the music, but are invited as a reviewer who only listens technically - not as a music freak.

And this is , why i changed to audionet - because all matters is involvement into good music; rediscover music ...

AudioNet DNP / Wilson Benesch Circle -> AudioNet Amp 1 V2 -> Chord Signature / Linn Silver -> Wilson Benesch Trinity + 2 * Wilson Benesch Torus Infrasonic Generator
2013-06-08, 10:46
The DNP is ordered. Basically as a pre-amp. But according to the first experiences the streaming section will be better than my ADS/1. Before I make a decision about dumping the ADS/1, if at all, I will use both in parallel for a longer time and report extensively on this forum.
Good music listening times coming up!
2017-11-19, 13:22
Hi Glareskin, did u manage to compare DNP with Linn?

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-11-19, 13:46
(2017-11-19 13:22)dol Wrote:  Hi Glareskin, did u manage to compare DNP with Linn?

You're replying on a 4 year old topic. Smile

Tin can telephone system.