Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Digitizing Vinyl

Digitizing Vinyl
2015-01-16, 12:27
Digitizing Vinyl
HI! I would like to digitize some LPs with my DS-I . Since there´s only SPDIF OUT and TOSLINK OUT, how can I get the digital signal from the DS-I to my Laptop which hasn´t any optical in? Are there any SPDIF/TOSLINK to USB IN converters? Any ideas? Thanks!! Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-01-16, 13:19
RE: Digitizing Vinyl
I use a Zoom H2. Records upto 24/96 and easily transfers from the micro sd card via usb to computer/Nas. It came with WavelabLE7 software for any required manipulation once on the pc. I just leave each side as one file rather than cutting into individual tracks; which is easy enough to do with the software.

Hope this helps.

LP12, Ittok LVII, Benz Micro Ace S, Cirkus, Lingo 2, MDSI, A4200, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
2015-01-18, 22:24 (This post was last modified: 2015-01-18 22:35 by Robert_C.)
Wink RE: Digitizing Vinyl
(2015-01-16 12:27)tsakitsan Wrote:  HI! I would like to digitize some LPs with my DS-I . Since there´s only SPDIF OUT and TOSLINK OUT, how can I get the digital signal from the DS-I to my Laptop which hasn´t any optical in? Are there any SPDIF/TOSLINK to USB IN converters? Any ideas? Thanks!! Wink

I had exactly the same issue recently. Latest PC does not have SPDIF or TOSLINK (they always used to). I have previously used USB A/D converters (Creative Prof. etc), and these are fine, I but wanted to use Linn's A/D now I have one! I thought all I need is a simple USB device with SPDIF/TOSLINK input, not a full USB sound device. I could not find any such simple device! Only full soundcard devices. In the end I bought a Creative SoundBlaster Z PCIe for my Desktop PC, which has a TOSLINK input. This is a bit of an overkill, but does the job perfectly.

If you want USB, Creative has one with TOSLINK - the X-Fi HD at £54. Again this is an overkill (it even has a Phono RIAA preamp which you wont use!). There are probably other manufacturers too.

One thing to ensure is that you stop Windows from trampling its muddy boots all over your incoming audio. In addition to setting sampling rate of DS out and your wave editor program (Audacity, Cool edit etc), be sure to check the Windows "Default Audio Quality" too. If this is set to a rate LOWER than your intended recording rate, Windows FILTERS your incoming audio to a frequency of half the sampling rate set here (anti Alias filtering), and NOT the rate appropriate to your incoming audio. It is possible to check a recording afterwards (use spectral analysis) to see if has been correctly treated. On my first test recording, I got a recording at 96k with a brickwall cutoff at 11kHz visible on a spectral plot, because I found windows was set at 22kHz rate!

Main:ADSM/1, Exaktbox10, LP12/Akito/AT-F2, 6100/Ninka/221. Kitchen:Sneaky/Komp106. Dining:Sneaky/Komp106. Bedroom:ADC3001DD/ALT1/Goldring2500,MajikDS/Kont,2LK100/KeilidhAktiv.

Your PC/Phone can help research for Zika, Ebola, Malaria, HIV & Cancer - www.worldcommunitygrid.org
2015-01-28, 21:13
Thanks for your help! I think I will go for the CREATIVE X-Fi HD. It might be an "overkill" but it´s a more than decent solution. I will check the Windows sampling rate..... Cheers!

(2015-01-18 22:24)Robert_C Wrote:  
(2015-01-16 12:27)tsakitsan Wrote:  HI! I would like to digitize some LPs with my DS-I . Since there´s only SPDIF OUT and TOSLINK OUT, how can I get the digital signal from the DS-I to my Laptop which hasn´t any optical in? Are there any SPDIF/TOSLINK to USB IN converters? Any ideas? Thanks!! Wink

I had exactly the same issue recently. Latest PC does not have SPDIF or TOSLINK (they always used to). I have previously used USB A/D converters (Creative Prof. etc), and these are fine, I but wanted to use Linn's A/D now I have one! I thought all I need is a simple USB device with SPDIF/TOSLINK input, not a full USB sound device. I could not find any such simple device! Only full soundcard devices. In the end I bought a Creative SoundBlaster Z PCIe for my Desktop PC, which has a TOSLINK input. This is a bit of an overkill, but does the job perfectly.

If you want USB, Creative has one with TOSLINK - the X-Fi HD at £54. Again this is an overkill (it even has a Phono RIAA preamp which you wont use!). There are probably other manufacturers too.

One thing to ensure is that you stop Windows from trampling its muddy boots all over your incoming audio. In addition to setting sampling rate of DS out and your wave editor program (Audacity, Cool edit etc), be sure to check the Windows "Default Audio Quality" too. If this is set to a rate LOWER than your intended recording rate, Windows FILTERS your incoming audio to a frequency of half the sampling rate set here (anti Alias filtering), and NOT the rate appropriate to your incoming audio. It is possible to check a recording afterwards (use spectral analysis) to see if has been correctly treated. On my first test recording, I got a recording at 96k with a brickwall cutoff at 11kHz visible on a spectral plot, because I found windows was set at 22kHz rate!
2015-10-13, 14:27
Does anyone know if it's possible to rip vinyl with a KDSM? The only digital output is HDMI, does it carry the audio signal in a usable format?

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen Secs
2015-10-14, 02:51
(2015-10-13 14:27)Antonmb Wrote:  Does anyone know if it's possible to rip vinyl with a KDSM? The only digital output is HDMI, does it carry the audio signal in a usable format?
That depends on your definition of "usable." It'll likely have HDCP built in as required which (theoretically) exists to prevent hijacking the digital stream.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2015-10-14, 08:19 (This post was last modified: 2015-10-14 08:27 by Robert_C.)
(2015-10-14 02:51)linnrd Wrote:  
(2015-10-13 14:27)Antonmb Wrote:  Does anyone know if it's possible to rip vinyl with a KDSM? The only digital output is HDMI, does it carry the audio signal in a usable format?
That depends on your definition of "usable." It'll likely have HDCP built in as required which (theoretically) exists to prevent hijacking the digital stream.

There also are few (or even no) PC soundcards with HDMI INPUTS. Assuming you find one, the possibility of encryption exists. It should not be applied to KDSM analogue sources, for which it cannot be assumed that there is a copyright issue (aside from Vinyl rips it could be your own recording). Internet streams can contain a flag to enforce protection.

Best hope is that the facility to capture streams from ANALOGUE sources and unprotected internet streams will appear in our control point software. Having to usie PC soundcards or other recorders is just ridiculous when an easy software solution is possible. I did ask Linn about this facility and was told that it was on the list of features (but low priority).

Main:ADSM/1, Exaktbox10, LP12/Akito/AT-F2, 6100/Ninka/221. Kitchen:Sneaky/Komp106. Dining:Sneaky/Komp106. Bedroom:ADC3001DD/ALT1/Goldring2500,MajikDS/Kont,2LK100/KeilidhAktiv.

Your PC/Phone can help research for Zika, Ebola, Malaria, HIV & Cancer - www.worldcommunitygrid.org
2015-10-14, 10:23
Quote:Having to usie PC soundcards or other recorders is just ridiculous when an easy software solution is possible. I did ask Linn about this facility and was told that it was on the list of features (but low priority).

I decided to stay miles away from PC soundcards, HDMI and USB. I use an external ADC, M-Audio Profire 610, connected to my PC via firewire. In my recording/editing program, Acoustica, I apply digital RIAA filtering. Of course this cost a few dollars more...but is a great recording system.

I was hunting for an early CD pressing of The Church "The Blurred Crusade" yesterday, in order to avoid new, crappy "remasters". I finally ordrered vinyl, and now I am looking forward to do the "mastering" myself. Smile

TDAI-2200 RP, Akurate DS, Sneaky DS, B&W 804S, Oppo HA-1, DT770 Pro, Rega P2/Elys 2
2015-10-14, 21:56
I would really like to do this with my KDSM/1 as well. While I have an Exakt system, I pretty much listen exclusively to vinyl now other than the occasional streaming on Tidal. I've given up on ripping CDs and hires downloads... they don't hold a candle to my LP12. I would like to archive some of my LPs for easy future listening. If I figure out a good way to do this I'll post it. At some point, there was talk that you could do this within Exakt, but now, I can't find the post.

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2015-10-20, 13:24
All Linn would have to do is release a Songcast that works in reverse: The DS is already capable of sending a stream of the Analogue input round your house (Multicast) - You would only have to tune in on that stream.

Music never sounded this good.