Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Digitizing Vinyl

Digitizing Vinyl
2016-06-02, 14:59
RE: Digitizing Vinyl
I do a lot of Vinyl recording (via Tascam external solid state recorder connected to the analog out of my Linn DSM/2) but would love to use the DSM/2's internal A/D converter and let my Vinylstudio software on the Macbook Air do the recording.

The problem is the digital connection between DSM/2 (digital out options toslink and spdif) and the Macbook (digital in via USB or thunderbolt)

This thread has been idle for more than 7 months.
Are there really no solutions other than external A/D?
I would really love to us the Linn's A/D ....

Jens
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-06-02, 18:45 (This post was last modified: 2016-06-02 18:45 by linnrd.)
What about hooking up an external sound card, and grabbing the stream in Audacity (or some such?)

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2016-06-02, 19:49
(2016-06-02 18:45)linnrd Wrote:  What about hooking up an external sound card, and grabbing the stream in Audacity (or some such?)

Ofcourse using an external sound card for A/D conversion is an option but the A/D conversion of the Linn Majik DSM should be excellent and why shouldn't I use it?

Software I am using is Vinylstudio.

Jens
2016-06-02, 20:09
Mytek 192 DSD puts out all digital inputs (spdif, usb, aes-ebu) to firewire.
Did some vinyl rips using EASDM via spdif.
Works perfect.
Regard
Martin
2016-06-02, 23:39 (This post was last modified: 2016-06-02 23:40 by Robert_C.)
Has anyone tried OpenHome Player (on a PC) as a software player add on for Kinsky/Kazoo?

I tried it a while ago, and it kept terminating. I've just tried latest version and it plays (time counter advancing), but is silent.

If it worked, then it would be possible to Play to PC soundcard by choosing Songcast stream from your DSM as the players source. Using Audacity then to record "What U Hear" from the soundcard. All very fiddly though. No Idea if OpenHome is available for MAC.

Linn said it was coming as a feature (7 months ago)...

For the moment I still use TOSLINK into PC soundcard.

Main:ADSM/1, Exaktbox10, LP12/Akito/AT-F2, 6100/Ninka/221. Kitchen:Sneaky/Komp106. Dining:Sneaky/Komp106. Bedroom:ADC3001DD/ALT1/Goldring2500,MajikDS/Kont,2LK100/KeilidhAktiv.

Your PC/Phone can help research for Zika, Ebola, Malaria, HIV & Cancer - www.worldcommunitygrid.org
2016-06-02, 23:40
(2016-06-02 19:49)JensA Wrote:  
(2016-06-02 18:45)linnrd Wrote:  What about hooking up an external sound card, and grabbing the stream in Audacity (or some such?)

Ofcourse using an external sound card for A/D conversion is an option but the A/D conversion of the Linn Majik DSM should be excellent and why shouldn't I use it?

Software I am using is Vinylstudio.

Jens
Um...the external sound card would just be an interface for D-D, as in S/PDIF->USB.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2016-06-03, 10:12
(2016-06-02 23:40)linnrd Wrote:  Um...the external sound card would just be an interface for D-D, as in S/PDIF->USB.

Linnrd,
this is exactly what I am looking for:
The task is to do D-D from S/PDIF --> USB. If this is done by a soundcard I would not mind as long as it is just doing this.

Do you have any recommendation?

Jens
2016-06-03, 16:55
(2016-06-03 10:12)JensA Wrote:  Do you have any recommendation?
Jens

To answer my own question:

I have just ordered a ART USB Phono Plus PS which should do - among other nice features - the direct digital SPDIF --> USB transfer.
Price in germany presently around EUR 100
2016-06-03, 17:23
Seems like that's worth a try. Do report back on how things work out, Jens.

2016-06-03, 23:47
(2016-06-03 17:23)linnrd Wrote:  Seems like that's worth a try. Do report back on how things work out, Jens.

Certainly, will do.

Next question:

How do I setup the A/D section of the Linn Majik DSM/2 for recording vinyl?

The Konfig help file doesn't really help me:
Digital Output Mode Options are

a) Raw (this will resend the audio in the original sample rate')
b) Fixed Sample Rate 88/96kHz (this will always send out at either 88.2k or 96k sample rate depending on input sample rate)
c) Fixed Sample Rate 176k/192kHz this will always send out at either 176k or 192k sample rate deprnding on input sample rate)

So all Digital Ouput Mode Options are depending on the input sample rate but I want to record my analogue Vinyl Recods which certainly do not have any "input sample rate" Sad

Any help?

Jens