Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Digitizing Vinyl

Digitizing Vinyl
2016-06-06, 23:38
RE: Digitizing Vinyl
@Jens. That would work very well, and it is then quite trivial to downsample the file to 24/48 and then FLAC it.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2016-07-11, 18:09
Just took delivery of Creative X-FI HD, Toslinked from DS (mode must be fixed 88/96), usb to Audacity, recorded first album at 96/24, exported as flac. Have to say it's impressive sounding result. Well pleased Smile

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2016-07-26, 09:28
I'm really interested in this; I'm encountering more and more albums where there simply isn't a good (or even listenable) digital version available (CD or download) e.g. Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering.

So, am I correct in thinking that I don't need an ADC just a Toslink to USB converter to sit between my Akurate Exakt DSM and my MacBook Pro?

Any recommendations for such devices?

Adrian

LP12 Majik / Akito II / Adikt / Akurate Exakt DSM / Akurate Exaktbox / Akurate 2200 + 4200 / Majik 109s / Chord Company Interconnects / Van Damme Blue Speaker Cables
2016-07-26, 09:40
(2016-07-26 09:28)Moriarty Wrote:  I'm really interested in this; I'm encountering more and more albums where there simply isn't a good (or even listenable) digital version available (CD or download) e.g. Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering.

So, am I correct in thinking that I don't need an ADC just a Toslink to USB converter to sit between my Akurate Exakt DSM and my MacBook Pro?

Any recommendations for such devices?

That is correct. I wasn't able to find a suitable converter, so instead bought a bells and whistles Creative Soundblaster X-FI HD external sound card. It does the conversion (up to 96/24). I presume the drivers and software are available for the Mac (you don't actually need the software but I recommend the control panel).

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2016-07-26, 09:54
Thanks timster.

That would also give me a headphone socket which I lost going Majik DSM to Akurate Exakt DSM!

BUT I've just checked the Creative website and no drivers are listed for that device with OSX Sad

Adrian

LP12 Majik / Akito II / Adikt / Akurate Exakt DSM / Akurate Exaktbox / Akurate 2200 + 4200 / Majik 109s / Chord Company Interconnects / Van Damme Blue Speaker Cables
2016-07-26, 10:52
(2016-07-26 09:54)Moriarty Wrote:  Thanks timster.

That would also give me a headphone socket which I lost going Majik DSM to Akurate Exakt DSM!

BUT I've just checked the Creative website and no drivers are listed for that device with OSX Sad

Oh, that's a shame. Quite surprising too. I wonder if it's worth emailing them? I got a quick response when I sent them a query. You never know.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2016-07-26, 10:54

Hi Moriarty,

I bought a 2nd hand DR DAC PRIME in order to have the MDSM Toslink ---> Macbook USB conversion.
This works fine and the DR Dac Prime also works nicely as a Headphone Amp.
I have no clue about the Creative products but usually there is no need to download any specific drivers if you are running OSX
Alternatively - if you have access to an old Macbook with combined 3.5mm Audio/Digital In you don't need any Interface but just a simple Toslink cable.

Jens

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
2016-07-26, 11:07
(2016-07-26 10:52)timster Wrote:  

Oh, that's a shame. Quite surprising too. I wonder if it's worth emailing them? I got a quick response when I sent them a query. You never know.

Worth a try! I kind of figured Creative wouldn't reply to such emails.

Adrian

2016-07-26, 11:17
(2016-07-26 10:54)JensA Wrote:  

Hi Moriarty,

I bought a 2nd hand DR DAC PRIME in order to have the MDSM Toslink ---> Macbook USB conversion.
This works fine and the DR Dac Prime also works nicely as a Headphone Amp.
I have no clue about the Creative products but usually there is no need to download any specific drivers if you are running OSX
Alternatively - if you have access to an old Macbook with combined 3.5mm Audio/Digital In you don't need any Interface but just a simple Toslink cable.

Jens

I think my MacBook Pro does have that! I'm going to get a toslink cable, download Pure Vinyl and give it a try!

I'll report back...

Adrian

2016-07-26, 11:28
(2016-07-26 09:54)Moriarty Wrote:  BUT I've just checked the Creative website and no drivers are listed for that device with OSX Sad

Moriarty,
I don't think that you need a driver under OSX (but I have no clue about Creative products)
My Dr Dac Prime also worked fine "out of the box" WITHOUT any addidional driver installed.

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV